Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How long will the online servers stay alive?

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    This does bring up a point I'd like to make. More and more developers these days are including some type of online requirement for trophies and such. It is just plain wrong to do that to gamers. I hate this trend because unless you buy the game new and start with the online campaign, you'll likely miss a few trophies that are otherwise impossible to get. Imagine trying to get Bling Brigade right now for example. It is rare enough to have 8 players stay for one whole race, let alone 8 players that have beat the campaign.

Then on top of that, there is no indefinite time that the servers stay online. There are so many games I have where I have earned just about every trophy except the one that forces you to grind it out in online play and most of those games don't have any open servers.
    Good point... but people like me also exist who don't care for trophies I still haven't platted any of my numerous accounts, just not interested

Personally i think the idea of trophy hunting is silly. Many peeps will play a game to plat it, then just never even look at it again.

Does make me wonder.

I love online competition too much to play for trophies.

ggs last night btw

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

GG's indeed. I thought I did well drunk driving ^_^

I don't normally trophy hunt until I've finished the game and got bored with it. I'm just saying that developers shouldn't add trophy content that can't be achieved after a certain time. It's one thing to encourage online play, but it is another to require it for a game's completion especially when there are unlockables only available via online play.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

I'm thinking of going back online again... it's been like 20 hours

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

I play my Wii U on the gamepad while keeping the PS3 on the TV just in case someone decides to race!

nu9get Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    Has anyone been online lately? At this rate, I wouldn't blame them for shutting down servers. Here in central time, I have to wait around 2-3 hours before I see any race pop up at all regardless of speed. Every now and then I see a Phantom Eliminator lobby, but there just isn't anyone online anymore.

If everyone is so worried about shutting down the servers, we need to prove that they are worth keeping online. Things may be different overseas, but there is no one ever online anymore.
    i'm not that sure, if you go online around 5\11 p.m gtm +0\+1 you will see a lot of lobbies (EU time) also full of players (or almost), im playing a lot and any tipe of game, single race (phantom rapier flash)...eliminator, etc.
    we also played one night if you can remember but because i go online late night too (like 4\5 a.m gmt +1) and seems like there wasnt any lobbies aside of yours or any other non EU gamers.
    i play wo hd only since 5-6 months so i can only say that for me it is still active when i seek races.

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

I myself haven't touched online in a few months now because my life has been busy, but I'm guessing the servers won't last for much longer once Sony begins stripping the PS3 of its services.

All in favour of giving Sony some rockets to stop them say "Aye"

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

The main issue here isn't whether the regulars still play online as often as possible, it's how many different players are using the server. Is there still enough demand from new players, or are the servers just supporting the same small community? We won't be able to keep them up alone; if Sony decides to can the servers they'll do it regardless of how often we still use them.

A few miles from Firestar. My adress is 1 Mars St. Mars, ZIP code 11111
    Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SuperHuman33

As a Firefly fan, I know exactly what to do...

COMMENCE GUERRILLA WARFARE

or was it marketing... ether's fine.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

I've wondered if there is a way to get someone to host the servers elsewhere. I can't remember the game, but I recall a while back there was a story about an FPS that had a loyal yet small fan base I read about in a gamer magazine. One of the members knew some of the dev team, and was able to migrate the servers with their help to keep online play open. I wonder if that would be possible in this case? I think probably not because the fan base is too large, but still.

If Sony is looking for new players as a justification to keep servers online, then trophy hunting DOES matter, because the word is out that Wipeout HD is the 1st or 2nd hardest platinum, and I think a lot of new pilots come to HD seeking a challenge (of course only to end their career a week later because they can't beat Zico or complete ECL). But still, if the server activity is going to continue, we need to be respectful of new pilots and reach out to keep them entertained.

Despite all this talk, we also need to be realistic. 2008 was 7 years ago. These servers are older than a lot of 2nd grade kids.

@nuget, I am in US central time (GMT +6 I think). Here there is only farmotorgilliz or whatev online from 6pm - 3am. I've stayed in an empty race lobby for an hour and a half and played 1 race against someone who rage quit on the 3rd lap of a Venom race, but typically I'm lucky to get 5 races in during an evening. In the US, there just isn't the demand for a futuristic racing game. The retarded US market is full of CoD-fish, Minecrappers, and people who actually still play Destiny. No one wants to play games that require skill, practice, and finesse. The only other online players I've encountered are mostly just trophy hunting which to me has been one of gaming's biggest pitfalls.

People don't play video games to simply play anymore, they instead play games to show that they've played them, and show... people... that they... um, wasted enough time trophy farming to get a platinum? I don't know. I don't get it, and I never will. I grew up with Mario Bro's 3, Streets of Rage, Mortal Kombat, Mariokart (the original) and many other skill based games. You didn't get a trophy for beating it. You just knew you were that badass.

This is why WO is doomed as both the servers are concerned as well as the future of the franchise. I'm willing to bet that over half of this community has at some point owned or beat every WO game since the first on the PC/PS1. There were no trophies back then, we played because it was just awesome to play. We now represent the tiny minority of gaming as the paradigm has shifted away from skill based games to mindless instant gratification in games. You basically get a meaningless trophy for just putting a damn game in your PS3 these days. No one wants to actually play a game for what it really is. No one wants to play people good at WO because they get decimated. I have a whole closet full of "Level I DNF Time-To-Spare" trophies, which probably resulted in someone deleting the game. People actually good at a game scare all the casual trophy hunters away, which in turn causes less people to be interested in the game, which in turn causes a developer or publisher to decide to discontinue a franchise.

The only way we will continue to play WO online will be a $h!tty-dumbed-down-for-casual-gamers version on the PS4 that will ultimately warp the original franchise, while keeping none or little of what we love about the series. They already did it with the WOHD patch!!! The real reason for all the patches? People complaining that it was too hard. So they slow things down for all the casual gamers while ignoring the true fan base that has been loyal since 1995 -the year most of the current day casual gamers WERE BORN! *Sorry if I've offended any younger gamers. You obviously don't apply here because you are cool enough to be here*

PSN ID
    Dylan061997

@mannjon , i think you really can create a "private server" , i just know in mario kart wii for example wi-fi connection (for wii / ds) is down until 20th may 2014 , but i know a guy (i just know his name) who create a private server so you can play online in worldwide / regional , just send your FC in this guy site , in other words maybe there are a way for still playing online if sony decides to down wipEout HD / Fury servers
    Last edited by Dylan061997; 12th February 2015 at 03:26 PM.

PSN ID
    TheWalkingFroggy

I am really worried for this. If some online server games start closing, maybe they'll shutdown other games aswell later. And, who knows, maybe when some years will pass, they'll close PlayStation Network access from PS3, forcing people to get a PS4. I really hope this will not happen!

PSN ID
    Marysh24

Quote Originally Posted by XxSuperRyugaxX View Post
    And, who knows, maybe when some years will pass, they'll close PlayStation Network access from PS3, forcing people to get a PS4. I really hope this will not happen!
    No! This would be REALLY unacceptable! D:
    I cross the fingers as well and hope this will never happen indeed! :/

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

The problem is that there would likely be some legal issues too. In the example I gave above, the community was a very small group, and the dev's admittedly just ran out of resources. In the case of greedy Sony, there would likely be some legal battle if someone did host it privately. Not only that, but you would need multiple servers to be able to hand all the requests from different regions.

Back in the good old days of TCP/IP, anyone anywhere could pretty much host a game, and still can today. But Wipeout uses different internet protocols to connect (as do most modern era games). It *might* be possible, but it wouldn't be near the scale of online play that it is now, and it still doesn't solve the problem of developers dumbing down games to appease casual gamers instead of respecting their loyal hardcore crowd. The only reason that WO has even stayed online this long is because of the relatively large and loyal fanbase. It is why they decided to use it as the experiment for the crossplay feature. However they disbanded the studio responsible for all of it in part because there was no longer any commercial appeal to the casual gamer market.

WO is hard. You have to want to love it to be any good at it. It is NOT a game for the so called "casual gamers" and trophy seekers. Despite trophy hunting likely being a reason that a lot of the most recent pilots have come around lately, the fact that it isn't a simple 3 hour platinum turns enough of the casual gamers away from it just as quickly. My worst fear is that there will be a new WO release, but it will be dumbed down to appeal to the Mariokart casual gamer type of experience (and don't get me wrong, I bought a Wii U for Mariokart 8, and I love it... but it isn't the same feeling I get when playing ANY of the wipeout games, period). The thing is that more and more developers are leaning towards the casual market because of the success of cell phone games and pay-to-play games because there is more money in it. So if there is a 1st party release, it won't be nearly as good as anything that Firesprite will come up with. Just think about it a minute... in the world of DLC's and Season Passes, would you really want a Wipeout game that you had to spend extra money to fully enjoy? The fury DLC was almost an entire game's worth of content, but that was before DLC started ruining modern gaming. I don't think future releases will follow the traditional paradigm.

Simply put, the uniqueness of the fanbase is both WO's salvation and destroction. We as a community are still playing games that were released years ago. We as a community will hold on to it as long as it is possible. We also buy new consoles just for this game (at least a lot of us did, I got PS3 for WOHD, and a Vita for 204. Unfortunately, we make up a tiny portion of sales. Sony isn't going to listen to a handful of consumers, but at the same time the motivation by such loyal fans has led to Firesprite's creation, and could possibly lead to private servers in the future (though I wouldn't count on it).

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

Then there's us Aussies who attempt to play during the day...

h20AwVk.jpg

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

I hear ya bruv. Same here in the US. To parody a cheesy crappy song from the 80's:

Conzio said, Do you race in the land down under?
    Online races have become a blunder,
    No pilots will ever feel my thunder,
    Of my skills in a ship that hovers.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    TrueEndurance

I wrote a whole thing but something happened and it didn't post. I'll say this.. The WO series is one of my favorites of all time. I dream that it has a future and that Firesprite might somehow take it over and continue it on the PS4. Since WO is a relatively simple game (content wise) I think DLC would be a good way to keep it up. It could just be tracks/ships/skins and new campaigns. I would gladly pay for WO DLC. Variety can be a good thing with a game like WO, especially with tracks. Either way, the game can never really die. YouTube is a good way to keep it going. It may not be online racing, but it can still be a way to compete. There is Slipstream though. And as soon as that's finished we do have an alternative that can hopefully keep at least those of us who love the series going. I don't know what will happen though; until then I hope for the best for WO.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    LevitatingFatMan/LsDre86

I think l'm going to cry if they get the servers offline, WO is the only game l play online and to be honest l think it is fun to interact with the racers from different country's. Don't have much trouble with finding races though here in the Netherlands.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

^Same here, used to play a lot more online (Borderlands), but now only wipeout or some game sessions with friends on Steam (Don't Starve Together is Amazing FYI)

But, some reasoning, they said they are shutting down a couple of games because they need the server bandwidth, which makes me reason, Wipeout isn't such a big community, so the impact on server performance shouldn't be that big either, it's like when your computer is running out of resources (CPU or memory) You check which ones are hogging up the most and see which one of those you can shut down first, no? That's my thoughts, so mibi they'll stay a bit longer than we might think

On another note, Farmotoresgrilisz now also hosts online phantom single races from time to time, seems to fill up some lobbies as well from time to time ^^

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Hopefully Wipeout will be one of those programs that is so small it is hardly recognizable and continue to slip under the radar.

I've never seen Farmotorgilliz do anything but Elim. Are you sure he races now? I guess he got tired of no one joining Eliminator lobbies. Is he any good at racing?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

He's not that great, but who cares, he's putting effort into it and practicing when he does, keeps hosting even if he never really wins and comes behind quite a few seconds, basically, he's playing to play, not to win, so he/she gets my respect, there's few pilots out their nowadays, instead of playing to win, just play for fun ^^
    But yes, he is hosting phantom from time to time now, also still eliminators though, bad timing on your part i guess

Cipher