Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How long will the online servers stay alive?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

Default How long will the online servers stay alive?

Has anyone found any info about PS3 game servers closing down, especially Wipeout HD? Sony is surely gonna strip down support for the PS3 in an accelerated rate during this year. HOME is closing down on the 31st of march and since Wipeout HD Fury isn't on the list for Playstation Now it is a bit worrying. Does anyone remember if HD and 2048 uses the same servers? I think I read that somewhere but can't remember. That might save HD for a while since 2048 is a much newer game and should get support a bit longer.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

I really hate Sony now.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

Did some research, and it seems Grand Turismo 5 is also shutting down on May 20th, Resistance gets its plug pulled March 28th :/
    GT5 Is younger than Wipeout HD btw..

They better announce it, cuz i will play the **** out of it one last time if it did in fact shut down
    But let's hope that's still a long ways away

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

A saving grace for WOHD which might keep the severs open longer then you might think is, the fact that it got a second lease of life with the release of WO 2048...Crossplay , was 'The" major selling point, promoted by Sony at the time.

WO 2048 was the "Title" that showed how it was going to happen.

Taking WO HD offline would be equivalent of taking 2048 offline as well

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

why am I still not hopeful?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Has anyone been online lately? At this rate, I wouldn't blame them for shutting down servers. Here in central time, I have to wait around 2-3 hours before I see any race pop up at all regardless of speed. Every now and then I see a Phantom Eliminator lobby, but there just isn't anyone online anymore.

If everyone is so worried about shutting down the servers, we need to prove that they are worth keeping online. Things may be different overseas, but there is no one ever online anymore.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

You mirrored my thoughts Mannjon,

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zzonkmiles

This is what angered me with Nintendo and Mario Kart Wii. They pulled the plug on the best selling point of the game--the online racing. I guess that was Nintendo's way of forcing people to buy the Wii U and Mario Kart 8. Screw that.

Anyway, I have been much too busy to race for the past few months. But I hope the leaderboards remain visible or active. I wanted to beat Doriett's score! And I see that Lilith is now on top of me too. (Which is perfectly all right with me.)

PSN ID
    Dylan061997

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    Has anyone been online lately? At this rate, I wouldn't blame them for shutting down servers. Here in central time, I have to wait around 2-3 hours before I see any race pop up at all regardless of speed. Every now and then I see a Phantom Eliminator lobby, but there just isn't anyone online anymore.

If everyone is so worried about shutting down the servers, we need to prove that they are worth keeping online. Things may be different overseas, but there is no one ever online anymore.
    i played online phantom races and phantom tournament , the eliminator lobby isn't that guy "famotorsgilsz" or something like that? , and you right we need to prove
    Last edited by Dylan061997; 6th February 2015 at 11:05 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

Hmmmm, there's usually a lobby going when i hop on, rarely, nobody there, i guess it's all about timing probably, US ppl might have it a little tougher since wipeout is a bit more of an EU game (i think) therefor time differences might be major

And if there IS a lobby going, but just a mode/speed you don't play often/don't like, just join it and have a couple of games until you get that feeling again of, neeeh this isn't for me, and then check the lobbies again, maybe a new one popped up, that's what i do

And yes, "farmotors..." is that guy xD

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

As someone who lives in north america, i personally find that there are a HUGE amount of servers going at certain times of day (i'm talking tens of servers, relatively well populated). Particularly around midday to afternoon on Fridays and weekends there are a good amount of servers. however any other time it seems pretty much deserted, i find there are alot of EU servers until about 4 pm here, then things start to slow down.

I think there are still a good couple of years left in HD Fury's servers, personally. Unless of course something drastic draws the audience away.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Yeah about dat Farmotogillz or whatev's, he must be on there 24-7, I see him in a Phantom Elim lobby ALL the time. I used to see a Cool_and_Cute there too, but now just the Motogillz.

Cipher, it must be nice to mention "Wipeout" and not have people ask you: "You mean there is a game about that show? I LOVE that show!" It is no where near as popular here as is the EU.

I join anything these days. Venom, Phantom, Zone Battle, and sometimes Eliminator. Just desperate to keep this thing going before dusting off the PS2 and going through Fusion again. Yeah, THAT desperate. I just recently got the ole N64 out. Might be a good time to play that horrid game too while I wait for someone to show up online.

I might even start a proxy lobby and play Wii U on the gamepad until someone shows up! ^_^

AGgamer, consider yourself friended! Would be nice to have someone in a near timezone. @ Zzonk, MK8 is pretty good though, you must admit. That aside, the leaderboards have been screwed up now for YEARS. Wipeoutrankings.com is perhaps the only reliable leaderboard anymore.
    Last edited by mannjon; 7th February 2015 at 03:26 AM.

A few miles from Firestar. My adress is 1 Mars St. Mars, ZIP code 11111
    Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SuperHuman33

Though to be completely fair, I do kind of like the show.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Lolz! Did you ever watch MxC? Waaaaaay better!

So just to update... 2 Phantom Eliminator matches right now. mannjon in an EMPTY RACE LOBBY. If any server stays open it will be the F'in Eliminator lobby and nothing else. I stand by my original remark... if you want the servers to stay up RACE.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

not sure about phantom with a dodgy dpad but I'll give it a shot

few days ago, cipher and I were racing with dodgy pads in a room, and were cannon fodder for noobs... highly embarrassing but fun all the same hehe

7 in a room and i'm hosting, jump in
    Last edited by terra-wrists; 7th February 2015 at 05:25 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

I just make sure I'm drunk whenever I get online........ good challenge, bad hangover.

...and many thanks to Terra, Kronic, Hiro, et all for a 6 player Flash Tournament!!!!! Online lives!!!!
    Last edited by mannjon; 7th February 2015 at 05:49 AM.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

... just about

PSN ID
    Knux_Chaotix

I'll be about for a bit today if anyone wants a race

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

This does bring up a point I'd like to make. More and more developers these days are including some type of online requirement for trophies and such. It is just plain wrong to do that to gamers. I hate this trend because unless you buy the game new and start with the online campaign, you'll likely miss a few trophies that are otherwise impossible to get. Imagine trying to get Bling Brigade right now for example. It is rare enough to have 8 players stay for one whole race, let alone 8 players that have beat the campaign.

Then on top of that, there is no indefinite time that the servers stay online. There are so many games I have where I have earned just about every trophy except the one that forces you to grind it out in online play and most of those games don't have any open servers.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Sometimes I'm around in 2048 and we don't get the lobby filled with at least 4 players.
    To be fair, shutting down the servers of not played games saves money, but my heart bleeds when I remember that I never played Pure or Pulse online.