Thread: How long will the online servers stay alive?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

This does bring up a point I'd like to make. More and more developers these days are including some type of online requirement for trophies and such. It is just plain wrong to do that to gamers. I hate this trend because unless you buy the game new and start with the online campaign, you'll likely miss a few trophies that are otherwise impossible to get. Imagine trying to get Bling Brigade right now for example. It is rare enough to have 8 players stay for one whole race, let alone 8 players that have beat the campaign.

Then on top of that, there is no indefinite time that the servers stay online. There are so many games I have where I have earned just about every trophy except the one that forces you to grind it out in online play and most of those games don't have any open servers.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Sometimes I'm around in 2048 and we don't get the lobby filled with at least 4 players.
    To be fair, shutting down the servers of not played games saves money, but my heart bleeds when I remember that I never played Pure or Pulse online.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    This does bring up a point I'd like to make. More and more developers these days are including some type of online requirement for trophies and such. It is just plain wrong to do that to gamers. I hate this trend because unless you buy the game new and start with the online campaign, you'll likely miss a few trophies that are otherwise impossible to get. Imagine trying to get Bling Brigade right now for example. It is rare enough to have 8 players stay for one whole race, let alone 8 players that have beat the campaign.

Then on top of that, there is no indefinite time that the servers stay online. There are so many games I have where I have earned just about every trophy except the one that forces you to grind it out in online play and most of those games don't have any open servers.
    Good point... but people like me also exist who don't care for trophies I still haven't platted any of my numerous accounts, just not interested

Personally i think the idea of trophy hunting is silly. Many peeps will play a game to plat it, then just never even look at it again.

Does make me wonder.

I love online competition too much to play for trophies.

ggs last night btw

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

GG's indeed. I thought I did well drunk driving ^_^

I don't normally trophy hunt until I've finished the game and got bored with it. I'm just saying that developers shouldn't add trophy content that can't be achieved after a certain time. It's one thing to encourage online play, but it is another to require it for a game's completion especially when there are unlockables only available via online play.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

I'm thinking of going back online again... it's been like 20 hours

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

I play my Wii U on the gamepad while keeping the PS3 on the TV just in case someone decides to race!