Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No Barrel Rolls?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Yeah, if you have noticed his lines for his videos, you'll notice one thing in particular that he excels at is knowing WHICH barrel rolls to land. That is my primary problem when going from Flash to Phantom. On Flash, I land every one I can because there is usually enough distance to get the full effect of the boost and there is little reason not to. In Phantom however, there are so many spots where you would have to brake immediately after the roll in which case having a different racing line without rolling is actually faster. You also are more likely to take more damage for wall swipes. In addition, that extra lap really makes a difference in tight races and ship energy management is more of a concern.

For me the trick is that balance. In general though, I've found my Time Trial laps are much faster when I focus more on lines than barrel rolls. But Yeldar is Yeldar afterall, and I don't doubt he could probably beat me without using them at all just sticking to his lines. Thus is not the case with all Phantom pilots. But as a general statement, Barrel rolls don't play into Phantom races nearly as much since the top speeds are higher. On Flash it is a significant boost from rolls, whereas Phantom the boost (though still considerable) is not quite as gamechanging. I lose races on Phantom because of lines, I lose races on Flash because of failed rolls.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

I lose phantom races from not doing enough rolls, eric is always telling me "roll, damn it roll"

I always thought I had good lines but maybe not, it's not good enough to win me a race ha!

I see your meaning that BR's are more important in Flash and Venom, there's a lot more speed to gain. I just wanted to note that they do make a big difference in rapier and phantom too

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Our thumbs - will always be problematic for us Kat All I can say is, "roll another one, just like the other one" that goes for both, wipeout and the uh, you know, herbal medications

PSN ID
    DIXI200

I met "barrel roll" only WO hd, but now I can not do without .. but I managed to win my "ghost rolling" only driving straight lines, because rolling and banging .. I saw the video of "Venom "and" Flash "barrel impressive, but the first thing is to learn to drive, I loved before the Barrel Rolls .. now I'm back on my feet. One question.. my eyes have looked good ?, I saw in the race "AI" make Barrel Rolls?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

yes AI does BRs, but it's very rare. it's even possible to force the autopilot doing BRs. but that is a very hard to do thingy

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

No doubt that rolls are still important in Rapier and Phantom. I totally agree with that. It's just not as bad if you miss one on higher speeds as is with lower speeds.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? YOU CAN FORCE AUTOPILOT TO ROLL? This is the first new thing I've learned in 5 years of HD. I've seen AI roll on Elite difficulty a few times (not that it matters at all) but never have I been able to roll while under the influence of autopilot -though I only use them by accident thinking they are a turbo so it doesn't come up much.

I’m not sure there is a link between BR and the strategic decision from R8 Games to appeal casual gamers (correct me if I’m wrong but that’s what I deduced from the recent discussion). BR could be removed because the devs didn’t like the input (left-right-left) or didn’t think the gameplay was interesting or simply because it didn’t fit the FF universe amongst many other reasons that I’m too lazy to tell (and that you’d be too bored to read anyway).

There’s one thing I’m sure, though: BR is one of the very few controversial elements from W’O” when I talk with my friends. We all agree we love the classes (Venom, Rapier, etc.), the weapons, the ship diversity, the airbrakes, and so on, but Barrel Rolls divide pilots. I think Wipe’Out” was better without them but I totally respect players who enjoy having them.

If they're not going to get BRs then they should get back the Hyperthrust system

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    No doubt that rolls are still important in Rapier and Phantom. I totally agree with that. It's just not as bad if you miss one on higher speeds as is with lower speeds.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? YOU CAN FORCE AUTOPILOT TO ROLL? This is the first new thing I've learned in 5 years of HD. I've seen AI roll on Elite difficulty a few times (not that it matters at all) but never have I been able to roll while under the influence of autopilot -though I only use them by accident thinking they are a turbo so it doesn't come up much.
    I've done this by inputting BR LRL or RLR and using autopilot at the same time, the BR is pulled off successfully then autopilot takes over, but slows down a little which is pants.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I actually recently had an idea that would reward perfect laps with improved speed; technically though, it would be more similar to Perfect Zones:

For every ten seconds that you are in constant motion (and not going in the wrong direction) without taking damage from a wall or falling off the track will increase your top speed slightly. Getting hit by weapons doesn't count, because there isn't anything you can really do about that... Though your top speed would reset if at any point you hit the wall or complete an imperfect lap.