24 85.71%
  • No

4 14.29%

Thread: Slipstream GX as a Pay What You Want game

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Slipstream GX as a Pay What You Want game

Hey guys!

So the team has come up with an idea and we would like to hear your opinion on it.

It's about making Slipstream GX a PWYW, which means at the time of download you can put a price you want to pay for the game, from free ($0) to whatever you feel like.

We're doing this so that people are more aware about the capability of donating since our donation box gets ignored most times, and we would like to get Unity Pro in the near future so we can finish the game.

So what do you think? Put your answer in the Poll, even if you post, please.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Why would anybody say no?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mikahail

Not a bad idea, hope you'll get enough funds to get a Unity Pro license.

(Just donate again, by the way)

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq Dricaldari View Post
    Why would anybody say no?
    Believe me, people will find a reason...

Also thank you very much Mikahail!
    Last edited by Xpand; 20th September 2014 at 05:29 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    TrueEndurance

I'd pay. Wipeout has been one of my favorite series since the first. Since the future of it is unknown, this game is the best hope to keeping it going. I didn't even know there was a donation option but I'll get on that. I want to see this game finished!

Thanks a lot! We apreciate it very much!

However, this system isn't about us requiring a payment for the game. If someone wishes, they can download the entire thing for free. It's more about making the possibility of donations more visible, rather than having a small donation box that rarely anyone remembers or even knows it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by True Endurance View Post
    I didn't even know there was a donation option but I'll get on that.
    That’s precisely the problem with a donation-based funding. If it’s not visible enough, nobody will donate. On the other hand, if it’s too aggressive (like donation banners everywhere) that doesn’t give a very good feeling because it looks like programmers are greedy.

@Xpand I like the idea that people can get it for free. I’ve seen this model in places like museums and I think it’s great (I’m not saying the game belongs in a museum, this expression is copyrighted Indiana Jones anyway). However I’m wondering how the system would work with updates? Will you see the "please donate" button every time you want to download a new installer?

And kudos for sharing your plans with the community. It’s always tricky when it comes down to money.

As it is now using Unity means updates will basically be the whole game, because there's no way to modify or add bits to a compiled build, hence why we don't release new versions that often. But in the chance we manage to get DLC patches and stuff like that that don't require the whole game to come bundled, they'll most likely be stored elsewhere, an "Update" page for example.