Thread: WipEout Pulse PS2 - A development kit?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -3

Post WipEout Pulse PS2 - A development kit?

I dunno if I should post this here, but I'll be sharing with you guys. . If you don't want I'll remove ASAP.
    So in WOPulse PS2, there's a file called "PADZ2". It's a disguised zip file, and when you extract it, it goes to 4,4GB(considering a DVD is 4,7GB, that thing is ultra compressed). Just a guess, but I think that what causes the slow loading. Anyway, it wasn't my find, I've found this like out of a coincidence. I began looking inside it and it had basically a development kit inside the game itself! It had the music, the models(which are in Maya format, so remember the papercraft? We could do it since 2009, but the game was so underlooked that it went straight), textures, and even comparison images of the ships of PSP and PS2 versions....
    Can't say I'm hacking anything since... it is just there. I'll post some images below(I killed the quality propositally):
    AG Sys normal.jpg<< With layers - Unlayered>>Ag Sys unlayered.jpg
    AG_systems_01.jpg << Comparison

Well this could be used for something useful.
    I just hope it doesn't cost my membership. Just wanted to share this.

EDIT: The name of the files is PADZ2! Not DATAZ. I've mistaken myself fixed now.
    Last edited by Rafeku; 10th September 2014 at 11:55 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

How did you access this data? Can I just put the game DVD in a PC and unzip DATAZ? I'd really like to have those comparison images for all 12 teams.
    What else did you find?

Timezone
    GMT -3

Just insert the disc(since a PS2 DVD is readable by normal), copy DATAZ to your PC and extract it with 7-zip or Winrar. It's a zip file.
    I've found scripts, Javascripts, Java executables, Sony Computer Europe programs, conversors(one of them looks preety obvious, dds2gtf. DDS is Direct Draw Surface; you can open with photoshop, if you have the plugins. GTF maybe a PS2 texture type?)...It's all there. I didn't search everything cuz I'm lazy. There's installers in the package. I don't even know if it is possible to build Pulse again, using this progrmas, changing some stuff. Because it seems this is preety much just taking space in the disc. I can't say much, it has everything there. I just could list those things if I knew for what are they for. Also has anyone tried opening the game, removing that DATAZ, burn a DVD and test in the PS2 to see if loads faster?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

I have a Modbo 4.0-chip in my PS2 to make it region free. I think that it also plays burned DVDs. I could try to remove the DATAZ and burn a copy without it. Can the PS2 read DVD-RW discs? I don't have any DVD-R available at the moment.

Timezone
    GMT -3

I would do myself if I had DVD's since my PS2 is also modchipped. Though it's not region free(NTSC) it can run the games cuz 60HZ. I dunno if PS2 can run DVD-RW...Well it's rewritable, you could try. Make an ISO of the game, use Ultra Iso(or similar program...Power Iso maybe) delete this file and burn with Alcohol 120% or ImgBurn(which is free) with at 4x(just in case you don't know...) and test it.

Timezone
    GMT -6

If SL was still active, I would totally ask them to release the PS2 models/textures as DLC if you were playing the game on Vita. Those look sick!

If only the cockpit glass was trancelucent like in the PSP version.