Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: STOP PRESS: Formula Fusion - Next gen Wipeout - from ex Wipeout Devs.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Alright. By the way, what does internal view look like at the moment? Can you see the ship's cockpit/dashboard? One of the problems I had with WipEout HD's internal view was that it was just a disembodied floating camera.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

Quote Originally Posted by MrFisty View Post
    You mean this one?
    yes, that one
    wasn't sure if I should post it here since it was unlisted

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lion View Post
    yes, that one
    wasn't sure if I should post it here since it was unlisted
    Hi - that movie 'was' unlisted, but I felt that in the spirit of things we would throw it out to you good people.
    Whilst it is mainly a visual prototype - rather than a fully balanced gameplay example (at the moment) It was actually created (in a few months I might add) to stir things up with publishers, to generate interest and also to provide funding opportunities - in the same way a 'pilot' may be used for films with investors.
    It is a 'Huge' project and not one that we can do without help - so we are being brave and aiming high.

Things have changed in the games industry now - 'very few' publishers actually believe in AG Racing as a valid next gen genre - so we are trying to convince people of the 'potential', and to set up a studio staffed with other ex wipeout dev's - (with some new wipeout dev talent of course) - to hopefully carry the torch again. But this time being much more open with the community.

We are also about to officially announce DUB as the music producer for the game.

https://www.facebook.com/dubfx?ref=ts&fref=ts

Stay tuned for further updates - and please be patient - we ARE listening to everything you tell us!

Best wishes,
    R8 Team.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

Please include Racebox...

EVERYONE! We need a new name - before we go out to the general media. PLEASE - can you go here and make suggestions - or - like your favorites. We will chose the best one we feel fits the concept next week. If we chose yours we will stick a nod in the credits..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/R8Games/728021997220331

Best,
    R8 Team.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I don't have a Facebook, but I do have a few ideas. How about replacing "Racing" with "Spectrum"? (I was gonna use "Spectrum" for my cancelled WipEout remake, but screw it). Projections, Horizon or Dryfire would also work.
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 19th September 2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Typo correction

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq Dricaldari View Post
    I don't have a Favebook, but I do have a few ideas. How about replacing "Racing" with "Spectrum"? (I was gonna use "Spectrum" for my cancelled WipEout remake, but screw it). Projections, Horizon or Dryfire would also work.
    Thanks - I will add them into the mix. You are a star!

Timezone
    GMT -6

Thanks for the compliment.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    assassain890

how about slamjet racing evolved or dancing with angels (little reference to acecombat 5 i think), FX1 or even g-Force wait even better Danger zone

Timezone
    GMT -6

"Danger Zone" sounds really lame (no offense), "G-Force" is WAAAAAY overdone, "Evolved" implies a sequel, "FX1" is too vague, and all of those titles still have "Racing" in them. If "Racing" is part of the main title, it will draw attention away from the important part ("SlamJet"). "Racing" should only be used as part of a subtitle.
    Example:
    SlamJet Spectrum
    High-Octane Anti-Gravity Racing

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    assassain890

sorry couldn't think of anything my bad but slamjet spectrum aye i think your to something there laddy i just can't wait for this game

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

not sure how that renaming process is going, but to my mind the only issue I have with "slamJet" is that it's a hard name to get flowing. This is only my feeling of course but it does feel as if there is a bit of a bump in the middle of the title due to the j sound being... harder than the m sound. almost like you have to stop after saying 'slam' and then start a new word in 'jet'.

I don't know if there is a particular meaning to slam that alludes to something in the game so I'm going to assume there isn't one.

with that in mind could I suggest:

"JetWash" it's a term describing the turbulence you get when one vehicle passes through the jet stream of another vehicle, usually in fighter aircraft.
    it also has another name: "Wake turbulence" which might be more accurate as a description.

in any case I found that both of these terms, while describing somewhat well the type of game it is, also roll off the tongue quite nicely..

just a thought.

I would suggest the following.

1) no weapon assistance, speed assistance, etc to the person in behind, or at the very least have an option to turn it off

2) make sure taking a turn perfectly is faster than riding a wall

3) pitch control bring you higher off the track as in WOXL

4) have ship be higher off the ground than that video and have a floaty feeling

5) have the faster, worse turning ships be have faster lap times if piloted perfectly, as the slippery ships are hard to keep off the walls. They should be a decent amount faster as you are more likely to hit the wall. Have a good risk/reward feature for choosing the good ship.

6) Don't have weapons slow you down too much, but have it more being a energy management issue instead. There are far too many times in any of wopure, wopulse and wohd where one weapon hit means you lose. XGRA may be a good example of this. If a turbo feature similar to Quantum Redshift is employed, you can use your turbo immediately after slowing down as long as you have saved some. The risk/reward is excellent in this game. "Should I use up the turbo to get away, or save some in case of weapon hits, or somewhere in between".

Timezone
    GMT -6

I have some suggestions for overall stats:
    - Thrust Limit: The craft's top speed when going in a straight line without assistance such as speed pads or turbos.
    - Thrust Output: How quickly the craft can accelerate to overcome it's mass, and also a factor of how well it can retain it's speed while turning.
    - Cornering Stability: How sharply the craft can steer without use of the braking systems, and a factor to how well it can retain it's speed while turning.
    - Shield Tension: The lifespan of a craft's shielding; shields can be recovered by absorbing pickups, using leech beams, etcetera.
    - Armor Integrity: How much further punishment the ship can take once it's shields are gone; can only be restored with repair kits or at pit lanes.
    - Mass: How resistant a craft is to being slowed down by weapons and collisions.
    - Downforce: How easily the craft can keep it's "grip" on the track (unless you pitch the nose up, which eliminates most of this downforce). An extreme example would be the Zone Ship in HD and Pulse, which seems to have infinite downforce except on select sections of track.
    - Aerodynamics: How much speed and control the craft retains while in the air
    - Braking Force: How much speed the craft retains while using the airbrakes. A ship that has poor handling but an emphasis on speed might have better braking force and aerodynamics than a ship with poor handling but an emphasis on combat abilities.
    - Firepower: A ship with more firepower will do more overall damage with weapons.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 22nd September 2014 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq Dricaldari View Post
    I have some suggestions for overall stats:
    - Thrust Limit: The craft's top speed when going in a straight line without assistance such as speed pads or turbos.
    - Thrust Output: How quickly the craft can accelerate to overcome it's mass, and how also a factor of how well it can retain it's speed while turning
    - Cornering Stability: How sharply the craft can steer without use of the braking systems, and a factor to how well it can retain it's speed while turning
    - Shield Tension: The lifespan of a craft's shielding; shields can be recovered by absorbing pickups, using leech beams, etcetera.
    - Armor Integrity: How much further punishment the ship can take once it's shields are gone; can only be restored with repair kits or at pit lanes
    - Mass: How resistant a craft is to being slowed down by weapons and collisions
    - Downforce: How easily the craft can keep it's "grip" on the track (unless you pitch the nose up, which eliminates most of this downforce)
    - Aerodynamics: How much speed and control the craft retains while in the air
    - Braking Force: How much speed the craft retains while using the airbrakes

Just my two cents.
    Thanks guys.. I will put up some details on the tech and craft research balancing side of things soon - but you are on the nose with some of those things. Need to keep our cards close to our chest whilst we gain momentum. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

i think we should think about opening up a special testing portal for you guys to get involved. Exclusive to Wipeout fans on wipeoutzone..

Timezone
    GMT -6

If you mean open beta testing, then I would love to participate. However, my computer is the worst on the planet (even my Vita is more powerful!) and I have to priotize studies and schoolwork.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Deadmaned

My post for some reason did not submit here, so I tried again but kept it short since I think everyone else here has post the same suggestions as I did.

For one thing, I just want the physics to be the same as past WipEout games or like Sodium 2 Project Velocity from PS Home, not stiff or floatless like in the video especially when turning. Have the craft tilt and sway with some drift depending on the type of craft. Have an action camera also like the camera in 2048 or Sodium 2, and also make the HUD react when ramming a wall/craft, have camera zoom away when craft hits a speed pad, or shake when going faster. Instead of the blur effects when going through speed pad, also have the camera shake. And lastly have incredible AG-Engine sound effects like in 2048.

I would have put more details but I didn't want to type the whole thing again.
    Last edited by Synergy2048; 23rd September 2014 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy2048 View Post
    My post for some reason did not submit here, so I tried again but kept it short since I think everyone else here has post the same suggestions as I did.

For one thing, I just want the physics to be the same as past WipEout games or like Sodium 2 Project Velocity from PS Home, not stiff or floatless like in the video especially when turning. Have the craft tilt and sway with some drift depending on the type of craft. Have an action camera also like the camera in 2048 or Sodium 2, and also make the HUD react when ramming a wall/craft, have camera zoom away when craft hits a speed pad, or shake when going faster. Instead of the blur effects when going through speed pad, also have the camera shake. And lastly have incredible AG-Engine sound effects like in 2048.

I would have put more details but I didn't want to type the whole thing again.
    We will put up some more materials for you to review soon.. But some great suggestions there. Everyone [rightly so] is picking up on the stiffness and control - but the set up right now is not how we want it, not at all. We want this to be a targeted focus group opportunity so we can look at the things that are important for the fans - to see what your collective thoughts are. Please be patient and we will take everything on board. I promise.

More suggestions

Lots of turns on some tracks, making it about piloting skill. Hitting walls should slow you down

Put up and down bumps/small hills on the tracks to manage flight control. Have the ship come off the track when going off bumps, then pitch control to determine where you land

I also dislike the overuse of blur. The older games didn't need it, and you could tell you were going much faster when using turbo without it.

Hey MrFisty incredible, prized to see your team keep the flame wipeout, thank you very much for creating wipeout, is one of the best things and feelings and memories of all these years, just no words to describe the feeling, and hearing back on pc, I'm crying with emotion, just thank you.

In the suggestions

Please tell me that also will be ships with the same inclination of wipeout please, not just "car-axis" inclinations from teaser