Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 197

Thread: STOP PRESS: Formula Fusion - Next gen Wipeout - from ex Wipeout Devs.

  1. #171
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Timezone
    GMT -8
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Is Rift support confirmed?

  2. #172
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    Pretty much. They've said it's on the agenda, but they've said a whole lot of things, despite not even having any funding yet. So absolutely nothing, even the game, is "confirmed" yet.

    This whole project is only going to go ahead if the kickstarter works, so OR support is probably only going to be actually considered if sufficient goals are met on there. While OR support is probably cheap to implement, it's also pretty gimmicky and will only service a tiny fraction of people who ever send R8 money, so if their funding goals are not sufficiently met it's probably one of the first things to go.

  3. #173
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle
    Posts
    3,863

    Default

    He had me until he wanted to created a disposian , nasty, Dog Eat Dog lifestyle genre for this series.
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...ut-Devs/page17

    PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!

    We are living that now!!!

    We want a ESCAPE from nasty world ....seems the players have moved on, but the designers have not.
    We want escapism without harm ..... people who play racing games are those sick and tired of SHOOTERS !!! HELLO!!!
    Why would we want a dank and dire atmosphere?
    Most kids playing video games are stuck in apartments .... no idea what life is like elsewhere, unless snapped & posted on Facebook.
    Most video games are FPS's ... Kill or be Killed.

    Be different.
    Prove it can be done.
    Change minds ..all is not lost.
    Change your design directive ..and direct it to the positive .. not survival ... [Insert designers republic ethical design for change motif here ] ...Curly worked well
    88.gif.png

    It was that design ethic of 'Let's be friends' that allowed this forum to become what it is.

    Friendly ...ethical .. we care about each other ... we look after each other when in need.

    CURLY! epitomizes that friendship.

    She is our standard bearer .
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 14th November 2014 at 08:29 AM.

  4. #174
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    And AG-Systems, don't forget AG-Systems. It is, after all, their motto in 3

  5. #175
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Germany, North-Rhine Westphalia
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB
    Posts
    1,294

    Default

    I was thinking the same.
    In the first posts it was mentioned that the game is basing on racing, not combat like every other Sci-Fi racer.
    It's just a damn cliche that Sci-Fi(-racers) have, just scrap this!
    Pure racing on pure tracks with pure crafts. No weapon or (overdone) turbo gimmics.
    Even today in motorracing it's all about the show, you see what people want, racing.
    Can't there be a realistic done, pure Sci-Fi racing game?

  6. #176
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle
    Posts
    3,863

    Default

    Unfortunately, Dark & Menacing seems to be the default 'Fall back on' style.
    Instead of leaving how a game played & looked to the creative team that built it, game distributors ended up taking control over the industry and calling the shots on what gets released.
    I blame them for this state of affairs.
    Just look at the last 3 E3 events and what has been released, the lack of variation has been truly sad for the gaming industry as a whole.

    I don't know if The Designers Republic have been beaten down over time by distributors, just given up the fight or just got complacent or, as much as I hate saying it , even lazy.
    Whatever the reason, it's disappointing and seems a bit of a cop out TBH.
    There have been plenty of wipeout tracks made over the series that have proven they, and those that came after them, can do AG racing without going down the 'Dark & Menacing' route.

  7. #177
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amplificated View Post
    Pretty much. They've said it's on the agenda, but they've said a whole lot of things, despite not even having any funding yet. So absolutely nothing, even the game, is "confirmed" yet.

    This whole project is only going to go ahead if the kickstarter works, so OR support is probably only going to be actually considered if sufficient goals are met on there. While OR support is probably cheap to implement, it's also pretty gimmicky and will only service a tiny fraction of people who ever send R8 money, so if their funding goals are not sufficiently met it's probably one of the first things to go.
    So, firstly, the development of the project is an evolutionary process, since real life dictates that you need to pay bills in order to survive. So - we have worked 1000's of hours for free so far and invested a ton of our hard earned cash on not just the development of the pre-production and the early prototype, but also in doing our home work on how to make this happen, visiting debt funders, pitching to publishers and talking to investors.
    It has been a total labour of love at the moment.
    We 'are' on track to deliver the pre-release version through steam in June next year and, provided we pick up enough momentum, we can do all the cool things everyone wants in the full version - otherwise we may need to look at a staged release for the final version. Kickstarter for us is a means to raise the profile and give us some more ammunition. Sometimes it's not about raising the cash, sometimes (these days) it's more about demonstrating to risk averse investors that there is an opportunity through analytics.

    .... Next stop, meet with the guy from OR, then discuss eSports potential with a potential partner.. (Busy busy busy)..

    Peace R8.

    - - - Updated - - -

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    Unfortunately, Dark & Menacing seems to be the default 'Fall back on' style.
    Instead of leaving how a game played & looked to the creative team that built it, game distributors ended up taking control over the industry and calling the shots on what gets released.
    I blame them for this state of affairs.
    Just look at the last 3 E3 events and what has been released, the lack of variation has been truly sad for the gaming industry as a whole.

    I don't know if The Designers Republic have been beaten down over time by distributors, just given up the fight or just got complacent or, as much as I hate saying it , even lazy.
    Whatever the reason, it's disappointing and seems a bit of a cop out TBH.
    There have been plenty of wipeout tracks made over the series that have proven they, and those that came after them, can do AG racing without going down the 'Dark & Menacing' route.
    I can assure you that the game will be carefully considered every step of the way - we are not asset crunchers we are passionate and dedicated professionals with design freedom on our side right now, every single thing will be considered in the same meticulous way it was with the first 3 versions - working with tDR to strengthen that approach.
    It's easy to make flippant statements - that only fuels our resolve further
    We are not taking the typical marketing angle of making it dark and moody and we are certainly not just making something to appease fans - we want to make this iconic as a design statement, and that means taking some risks. For us it is about making something new and interesting with some original flavours, we may fail - but at least we will sink our souls into this and attack it with the same sense of pride that crafted the originals into something great!
    It is ALL about design!
    Best, R8!
    Last edited by MrFisty; 16th November 2014 at 12:10 PM.

  8. #178
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East London
    PSN ID
    TERRA-WRISTS / SKRUFFEM
    Posts
    962

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    I was thinking the same.
    In the first posts it was mentioned that the game is basing on racing, not combat like every other Sci-Fi racer.
    It's just a damn cliche that Sci-Fi(-racers) have, just scrap this!
    Pure racing on pure tracks with pure crafts. No weapon or (overdone) turbo gimmics.
    Even today in motorracing it's all about the show, you see what people want, racing.
    Can't there be a realistic done, pure Sci-Fi racing game?
    That would be formula 1 without wheels.... boring. I likecthe strategic elements spoken of in the video and these guys have been developing games for longer than most young wipers have been alive...

    Trust them.

  9. #179
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle
    Posts
    3,863

    Default

    Quote: It's easy to make flippant statements - that only fuels our resolve further

    Good

    Quote:
    We are not taking the typical marketing angle of making it dark and moody

    Hang on a minute, I'm confused, that's the exact opposite of what was said in the video that caused my plea.
    Which is correct? there is some contradiction going on here.

    Quote:
    and we are certainly not just making something to appease fans.

    Well not meaning to be rude, but appease and appeal could be interchanged depending which side of the keyboard you are sitting on, remember we are replying to a request you made for feedback.

    Quote:
    we want to make this iconic as a design statement, and that means taking some risks. For us it is about making something new and interesting with some original flavours, we may fail - but at least we will sink our souls into this and attack it with the same sense of pride that crafted the originals into something great!

    That has never be doubted, and why this thread has received so much attention from the forum.

    Quote:
    It is ALL about design!

    It's also about mood.
    I, and I'm sure plenty of other people here have played games, then because the games overall mood hasn't wavered, has become boring, then ultimately depressing, so it's been removed from the console never finished and never to be played again.

  10. #180
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    Quote: It's easy to make flippant statements - that only fuels our resolve further

    Good

    Quote:
    We are not taking the typical marketing angle of making it dark and moody

    Hang on a minute, I'm confused, that's the exact opposite of what was said in the video that caused my plea.
    Which is correct? there is some contradiction going on here.


    Replace 'Dark and Moody' with 'real and visceral'. I think the reference to blade runner threw people - it's more about a reference to the technology than the feel.


    This sort of thing (wip)

    image_1.jpg

    Quote:
    and we are certainly not just making something to appease fans.

    Well not meaning to be rude, but appease and appeal could be interchanged depending which side of the keyboard you are sitting on, remember we are replying to a request you made for feedback.

    It's a fine line, I agree. We are not going down the 'make another wipeout' route - we are going down the 're-set the genre' route. It may ruffle a few feathers but we feel - as wipeout was a new version of powerdrome - then ours will be a similar step forward - sorry - after dealing with people wanting to own our title recently and the whole corporate side of this I was a bit touchy. I/We just want to make the game and have fun.. But you are right - feedback is feedback - good or bad, it's all cool.

    Quote:
    we want to make this iconic as a design statement, and that means taking some risks. For us it is about making something new and interesting with some original flavours, we may fail - but at least we will sink our souls into this and attack it with the same sense of pride that crafted the originals into something great!

    That has never be doubted, and why this thread has received so much attention from the forum.

    Thanks.

    Quote:
    It is ALL about design!

    It's also about mood.
    I, and I'm sure plenty of other people here have played games, then because the games overall mood hasn't wavered, has become boring, then ultimately depressing, so it's been removed from the console never finished and never to be played again.
    The mood will make your nose bleed.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •