Thread: Wipeout hd running slower on old PAL 50hz TVs (?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 1

Question Wipeout hd running slower on old PAL 50hz TVs (?)

Hello everyone, i'm needing your help .

JFthebestjan recently told me that my game was running 00.05/00.10 sec slower because i'm playing on an old PAL 50hz crt tv.
    I was thinking that the speed difference between PAL 50hz TVs and ntsc 60hz ones was only an issue for games running on old gen consoles.

Do you guys have some knowledge about the difference between wipeout hd running on 50hz and 60hz TVs/screens? Do you cofirm the game is running slower in 50hz? If yes, any infos about how much slower it is on PAL 50hz crt TVs?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

uh, does that mean if i switch to 60hz setting, i can get a faster lap?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

This is wrong though, games are programmed to work with the Delta Time (time in between frame updates) to keep everything in sync, it wont run slower, it will just produce less frames, the frames don't "leak" into the next second as explained by that guy, the frames themselves are just different, the position of your ship will be updated differently in which Hz mode you are running, this, usually to compensate for variable monitor refresh rates (computer monitors, but TVs as well)

Eg position update; Position + Velocity*deltaTime =newPosition

So unless playstation games were programmed without the deltaTime (which i highly doubt) this is wrong

Cipher

EDIT; ooooh did some research for it, but yes, old games did not use the deltaTime, but were instead "forced" in PAL mode, so then yes, that would be the case (source; http://theartofhating.blogspot.be/20...-pal-50hz.html ), this only applies to old games though
    But even if it runs slower, this would mean the in-game time would run slower as well, therefor negating the effect
    Last edited by Cipher; 1st June 2014 at 09:11 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

@cipher: i tested 576p50hz vs. 720p60hz vs. 1080p60hz. i made a zone run on syncopia with each resolution. there's definitively a difference between SD and HD! i'll make comparison videos, so that you can see it by yourself.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

here are the comparison videos

- 576p/50Hz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Xl...ature=youtu.be

- 1080p/60Hz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksZM...ature=youtu.be

as you can see the 1080p/60Hz version has nearly 1000points more in the final results.
    additionally the 1080p/60Hz version is 0.02 sec faster, although it has driven 5meters more than the 576p/50Hz version.
    the 576p/50Hz version reached a higher top speed!