Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Experts and masters of WipEout, let's bring it to Awesome Games Done Quick!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Intended double post to bump up the thread.

After two weeks, there is no Wipeout submission yet. I can understand that most of the Wipeout experts community come from Europe and don't have the money to cross the Atlantic, and some people might not be interesting by participating. Or maybe people may not be informed properly yet, so that's the reason of my bump. The submissions close on September 3rd, so if you can attend and make a Wipeout game shine, now is the moment to do so.

By the way, you are not forced to be available an entire week, only a day or two is enough. You can put up your availability on the submission form, as long as its between
    January 4-11.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

So, every submission has been processed and there wasn't any Wipeout submission at all. I'm kinda disappointed as I really wanted to push the community towards this great charity event, and I feel like my efforts have been worthless. But I know why that didn't work: the distance between the Wipeout community and the speedrunning community is too big, in every sense of the word.

Many people here are from Europe and just couldn't travel to the US, for practical or economical reasons. And to be honest I'm part of this group. But there's also the fact that most of you didn't really know what is a speedrun and how it could have been applicable to Wipeout. And some of them judged it was uninteresting to show races against the AI, even if it is in the hardest difficulty.

Anyway, that's a missed opportunity, but there are several marathons through the year. There is most notably the European Speedster Assembly which is an European speedrunning marathon taking place each summer in Sweden. It could be more reachable for the Wipeout community. But its impact is much lower than GDQ marathons.

So yeah, too bad, but there will be more opportunities.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zzonkmiles

The only event I am remotely qualified to represent is Zone, and it was determined here that a Zone run would not be interesting enough because of how long it takes to get to the high speeds. Also, considering that members here would have to pay for their own travel to and lodging in DC requires a financial investment that I would imagine most members here are not prepared to or able to make. I don't think your efforts were wasted, and I appreciated the information.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

The Major and Basically Only problem was, and ever has been is WOHD's "Bling Brigade" trophy.
    I was always hard to get when there were thousands of online players.
    It has got progressively harder to achieve, the less people play WOHD.
    The chances of a speed run with WOHD , In this present day, is basically None exsistant .

4 / 5 / 6 Years ago, then you would have had a chance.

It's not that nobody wanted to try it, it's that we all knew it was a futile attempt.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

I think most people on the forum are aware of what a speedrun is. The problem is that WOHD doesn't really have a "beat the game" event. There isn't a credits screen that rolls when you finish the game's single player content.

While a single player run through is possible (and I dare say easy even for a lot of the pilots here), the best case scenario of winning every event (and by best case I mean not losing a single race, quick SL's and TT's, no restarts) is just around 6 hours. It just simply isn't possible to speed run a game like this.

As many have mentioned here already, WOXL and the original Wipeout might be better candidates since it is possible to do those in under an hour. So for any future potential event, I think the focus should be on those 2 specifically. Wip3out takes too long due to having to complete every node on the grid to unlock tracks by winning races with each ship.

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

I'm with mannjon on this one, HD just simply takes to long to speedrun its campaign mode even if you were doing just one of the two (HD is faster but is still incredibly).

But I'd like to contradict the thought on of having no credits sequence as AGDQ have speedrun games that don't have "Game is beaten congrats, roll credits" ending to such runs.
    Possibly a prime example is Surgeon Simulator.
    Other than that the games are simply to long and are not well suited to such runs because of the way they are. Wipe"out" or WipEout 2097 (XL) are the best games to run simply due to the fact they are shorter and completing the game is easier and simpler to do. So yeah I'm with mannjon on that.

Also as its been said most pilots are European based so we cannot afford the travel expenses. Also many members are either still in Full Time Education (school, college, university etc.) or have day jobs we cannot afford to put off for doing a speedrun. Its an unfortunate truth sadly

Your efforts are not in vain though, we always appreciate the idea of expanding the community and making it more well known and pronounced amongst gamers. Sadly its to much for us to accomplish. Maybe one day such an event will come true though and then we will make Wipeout world renounced

-EDIT- What about Wipeout 2048 as well as the 1st and 2097/XL, suitable with its straight forward campaign albeit not the strongest entry to the series. But the games single player structure could make it suitable
    Last edited by Snakenator1; 8th September 2014 at 04:49 PM.