Beta Angels(0x03) >Phase_02<
>>Angelus Project: Application Process

<21970920>

Wednesday, September 20th, 2197

Katana HQ, Perth, Australia.

In the days leading up to September 20th, Brandon had been keeping an eye on several groups of interest, all pertaining to the actual piloting of AG racing craft. A week before the day itself, Brandon had sent notices stating that applications were open for AG pilots, under a cover company. On the day, though, there weren't that many applying, but one person that did was one that caught Brandon's eye.

She looked quite young, and was in fact still in her school uniform. What really got Brandon's attention, though, wasn't her general appearance, but more so her expression. She seemed to be really happy, as if she was eager to be presented with the chance to become a pilot, but there was also a rather fierce determination in her gaze that no-one was even close to having.

"Welcome everyone," Brandon addressed them all. "My name is Brandon Smith, and I am the founder and leader of Katana Advancements. It's a pleasure to meet you all!"

A few of the people there nodded. The schoolgirl just kept staring at him with interest.

"Now, before we begin, I will need you all to sign a couple documents we have prepared. It's just some legal stuff, for both our safety as well as yours. The interviews will also contain a practical aspect, but in order to explain what it is, you'll need to sign the second document, which is a Non-Disclosure Agreement. I'll give you several minutes to read through and sign them all."

The group of potential pilots had wondered why it was necessary, but they were given a chance to do something they loved for work, so they naturally read through and signed all the documents they had been presented with. With that done, Brandon took the documents back and, after passing them off to another employee, spoke up.

"Alright, now that that's in order, let's continue. I will be speaking to each of you, one by one, about you and why I should hire you for the job. Then, once that's done, I'll take you to another room, where you will complete the practical section of the interview: a round of our state-of-the-art racing simulator. Now, first... I'll go with you, Mr. Wilson."

After going through mostly all of the applicants, there were only three left, one of whom was the determined schoolgirl.

"Tarah Andrews." Brandon called.

"Ah! Yes!" She replied, leaping off her seat excitedly.

Brandon smiled and turned, walking ahead over to the interview room, letting the girl follow him. When he got over to the desk situated in the room, he pointed to a chair on one side of it.

"Please, take a seat." He gestured, before sitting at the other end of the desk and beginning the interview. "So, tell me a bit about yourself. You... seem kind of young? I mean, it's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just... curious."

"I-I don't mind!" Tarah shook her head, still smiling. "Well, um... I'm 17, so I am in my final year of high school. But I really don't want that to be a problem! I've been interested in racing for as long as I can remember."

"So you have a lot of passion. That's good, I like that. I don't see the point in doing something you'd rather not do."

"Yeah!"

"And age isn't an issue regarding this job, all that matters is how well you can race. And, of course, your enjoyment in doing so."

"Ah, thanks! So, hmm, what else about me... I... guess I'm pretty good at racing itself, or at least, I like to think I am."

"Interesting... would you be willing to put that to the test?"

"You mean the simulator? Sure!"

"Great, if you'd like to follow me."

Brandon stood up and walked with Tarah to another room, which housed a single simulator, hooked up to a computer and some other monitoring equipment.

"Your task is to obtain a high score," He instructed her, "Although please bear in mind we are going for a certain racing style. Now, if you'd like to get seated, we may begin this test."

"Okay!" Tarah said happily, sitting in the simulator.

Brandon manned the computer and tapped away at the mouse, setting several variables for the test. Once he was ready, he looked back at Tarah.

"Okay, is everything alright on your end? Are you ready?"

Tarah gave him a thumbs up. "Yep! Whenever you're ready!"

"Alright then, Starting now."

With a final click of the mouse, the simulator booted up, loading the variables Brandon had set prior. Then, the countdown started, with Tarah being placed on the final position on the grid. Upon the signal to go, Tarah set off, piloting the virtual craft with an astounding amount of finesse. She seemed to be nailing almost every corner after several laps of getting to know the course, and she was passing a lot of the craft ahead of her without any real problems, often just using a weapon to slow them down to be passed.

At the end of the race, Brandon reviewed the results, along with her total score. When he saw what she ha done, his eyes widened.

"...how could a 17-year old pass the test this easily?! That... you just posted a high score! You know what Tarah?"

"Hmm?" She looked up at him.

Brandon smiled at her. "I think I've just found one of the pilots I've been looking for. Welcome to Katana's 'Angelus project'."