Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left or right?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    rejj

Default Left or right?

You're taking a quiet drive through the city at night when you find yourself at a fork in the road:

Do you go left or right?

I think right is faster, but I may be quite wrong.

PSN ID
    MachineDebaser

I often take the left route.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Right.
    That tunnel can be handled at any speed without turning at all. It just requires tilting the ship sideways and a lot of practice. Scraping should be avoided in those chicanes since the boost will probably make you crash before you can tilt to the other side.

Links are preferred to directly putting images. Those with slow connections like having the choice of seeing them or not.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Timezone
    GMT + 2

I always take the right route. No politics involved :wink:

Heh, reminds me of a song (Ride across the river) by Dire Straits. A line goes:
    "...right becomes wrong, and left becomes right"

(the song is from 1985, so they can't possibly be referring to this fork in the road )

Default richtigkeit is nasty, but there is an alternative

a-straight down the middle

b-to another race course

xEik: tilt the ship without turning? what controller or psychedelic subtance are you using?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

I mean that, although I tap on the D-pad, the ship doesn't deviate from its straight raceline. It only tilts to one side or the other.

This is antigravity, man!

No psychedelic substance for me. Ever. Although I can enjoy good psychedelic Trance music.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

To the right, of course. Experimentation will show you that it's the faster way to go.
    Not only is there less turning (in amount, not in number of turns) but it's a shorter distance. To top it all off, you come out the end better positioned for the next turn.
    You're probably wondering about the "less turning" thing. I haven't been able to manage it, but you _can_ shoot down the middle with the nose up. I think it might take tiny nose adjustments left and right to do it, but I have it on good authority that it's possible.
    As it is, I can shoot the stanza chicane fairly quickly, and it's been so long since I turned left that I can't drive that path.
    However, in the end I usually make the same choice Lance does: another track. It's just so far from being my favourite venue. YMMV.

Almost always right, although I go left occasionally for a bit of excitement. The sharp turn at the end of the left route kind of spoils it. I have a soft spot for Stanza as it was the track on the Wip3out demo disc in the UK.

i'd like to put a soft spot IN stanza.
    actually, there ain't nuthin in stanza that a bunch of sunlight wouldn't cure

xEik: when i tap the dpad, the ship turns as well as leans, that's suspended-in-air anti-gravity racing. just like ailerons on an aircraft. bernoulli style

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Then you tap for too long.

There might be some slight turning. But you must keep an overall straight trajectory while avoiding the inside part of the chicane by leaning the ship sideways.

If you turn your ship in every one of those little turns you loose too much time.

I always take the right path.

On most speeds with most craft you won't lose speed because, as Task and others have explained, you can just slightly steer. Icaras on phantom will need the airbrakes although I've once pulled the stunt of going through the tunnel without touching them (and without touching the walls ).

Peace,
    V.

right....

left... right... left... right... left... right... left... right... left... right...

what? sorry, got caught up in the screen shot

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    rejj

Quote Originally Posted by Task

However, in the end I usually make the same choice Lance does: another track. It's just so far from being my favourite venue. YMMV.
    I think that Stanza Inter has perhaps the worst pitlane entry of all the tracks, but the rest of the track is great. Ah well.

Have you guys ever held a poll here to see which track is people's favourite? If not, perhaps it is time...

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Default Fav Track

If I'm not mistaken, it was Manor Top.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

That's correct - was over two years ago now, granted, but it was Manortop

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

right!
    2the left the uphills slow u down and the exit is a bitch -
    if u dont push the nose down u often crash in the sealing
    2the right it's flat and u can almost make a straight line thru the s'es!
    nb Almost! (^_^)

Default Re: richtigkeit is nasty, but there is an alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    xEik: tilt the ship without turning? what controller or psychedelic subtance are you using?
    Perhaps you recall me extolling the virtues of this particular right fork not long ago. I said then that if the right line is found, that tunnel can be taken in an almost straight line, with just a lttle bit of swaying from left to right. Xeik is correct. The tunnel is a bit tougher, but it has serious advantages.

Default S.I. ranked number 12 of 12

i always go to the right. it's just that i rarely make it through unscathed. stanza inter is very challenging, which is good, but i still hate it. if it were a prototype track with no 'scenery', i would probably love it, but i just hate the ambience of it as it is now. it is at the absolute bottom of my list of preferred courses in WO3

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Same here.

I think it's because I imagine the game to be like a spectator sport of the future, yet at Stanza Inter there's absolutely nowhere for spectators to be - it's just an urban city block and nothing more.

Actually, it's funny how the track with one of the best spectator areas, the pits at Mega Mall, is actually similar for most of the rest of the track - there's virtually nowhere for spectators to view the race.

Timezone
    GMT + 2

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated
    I think it's because I imagine the game to be like a spectator sport of the future...
    Don't you think the spectators are hooked up to a gazillion 3D-cameras mounted all over the place (trackside, on craft, on pilot's helmets, on blimps...)?

As a parallel, I've never seen a Formula 1 race "live" - the effort and cost of buying a ticket and travelling to the track (there are no F1 races in Finland) is too big. I'm quite content with watching the thing on TV.

But then again, I'm not that big a racing fan. If there were Ag-races around today, I still wouldn't go there to watch them... I'd be racing myself