Thread: Autographed copy of Wipeout: The Music (1995 3x Vinyl)?

PSN ID
    HaltAndCatchFire

Default Autographed copy of Wipeout: The Music (1995 3x Vinyl)?

Greetings to all!

I recently received an autographed copy of Wipeout: The Music. This was the 1995 3x Vinyl release. The autograph appears to be in a white felt tipped marker, like something you'd use to autograph an album (rather then a black marker).

Problem is, I have no idea who the signature belongs to- so I was hoping you guys could help me out. The seller who sold me the vinyl didn't know anything about it so it could very well be nobody (which is OK, I was just after the album for the artwork since I've already got the CD version for listening). I was just wondering who it was if it was somebody associated with the Wipeout series, perhaps an artist or audio engineer or something.

Again, I'm not doing to be disappointed if it isn't anyone in particular. It's just a puzzle that I'd love to solve, if possible.

IMG_0004.jpg

Cheers.
    -CMPX

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Well firstly welcome to the forum, you'll enjoy it here

Secondly, I don't think the signature is from the Dev team as the WipEout series features soundtracks from various artists. My guess is that the signature is from one of the artists.

Don't take my word for it, because I'm bad with signatures so its just a guess. That's a good find as well, nice one picking it up

PSN ID
    HaltAndCatchFire

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've been through all the bands listed on the Wikipedia page for the album, and nobody seems to have a name similar to the signature (looks like "Jim" or "Kim", the last three letters look like "ogh"). There appeared to be a hand engraved serial number on the first vinyl near the centre label (I don't think these records have ever been played) along with the initials "JD", and each of the vinyl sleeves is marked "A-B", "C-D", and "E-F" on both sides in pen.

It could be nothing (maybe an early copy for someone in particular?). I'm just not sure why it was written with a white/silver marker and handwritten. I've got a few other autographed albums from other artists that use very similar ink (usually gold or silver) and never black or brown, which makes me think that someone used a "fancy" marker for a reason, as if the name meant something.

Does anyone know who mastered/assembled the compilation? I can't find any information about the people involved past the artists featured on the vinyls. I'm wondering if maybe it was the AE working at Columbia/Sony TV or something.

-CMPX

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Welcome to the board!

I`m totally stumped by this signature!, but I know the first is Jim and last part the surname is burgh. But I did alot of research through this site and other sites too but none came up as it should! Sorry, I did tried my best for you.
    But, preserved it

stevie

PSN ID
    HaltAndCatchFire

Thanks for trying!

The vinyl itself came from a seller in Austria. Unfortunately it doesn't look like any of the bands came from there, but at the same time practically everything Wipeout related happened around that part of Europe- so I guess it could be anyone if the vinyl had changed hands before and made its way down from the UK. I've contacted TDR about this, maybe it was someone who worked for them. I'll post back if I get a response. Not sure if Tim Wright would know anything (CoLD SToRAGE), can't find an email for him- but I don't think he had anything to do with this particular vinyl, just the music for the original game (which has a totally different playlist).

-CMPX

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

It looks like "Jim Chrisburgh" from what I can try and guess. But searching that up brings up no results related to the vinyl (or anyone named that either)

Your best bet is to have a expert check it out, try pawn shops as they normally can identify signatures or at least know people who can. That's the best advice I can offer you sadly.

PSN ID
    HaltAndCatchFire

Hmm.

Would you by chance know of any pawn shops in the UK area that deal in game merchandise and have an online presence I can contact? I had actually tried googling that earlier today, but all I'm getting is results for the North American TV show which is totally useless to me. I'm actually located on the west coast of Canada, so I can't really pull out the phone book and just start calling people up. I've spent a fair amount of time going through all the local pawn shops and vinyl stores looking for Wipeout related stuff (before I broke down and bought the best copies I could find on the 'net), and they were all completely clueless whenever I mentioned Wipeout or Psygnosis (to quote one of the guys downtown when I showed him the album cover for 2097/XL: "It looks very Japanese, have you tried HMV? They deal with imports").

Edit: Nevermind, found a few phone numbers and email addresses on the internet. I'll try contacting them tomorrow.

-CMPX
    Last edited by CMPXCHG8B; 16th April 2014 at 11:13 AM.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Hmm... I'll ask Nick Burcombe, see if he can help.

EDIT: And he didn't disappoint. It's Tim Wright, aka Cold Storage. You wouldn't think it from the surname, but it is

EDIT 2: It seems he was mistaken... As you were
    Last edited by Hellfire_WZ; 17th April 2014 at 09:29 AM.

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

0.0 you sir are one lucky person to of found that vinyl with that signature

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Oooooh......nice one. You must be chuffed to bits!

stevie

PSN ID
    HaltAndCatchFire

So I heard back from Tim Wright himself, and he's saying it's not his signature (and I quote: "Looks a bit like Jim Christough?").

I guess the mystery continues?

-CMPX

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Wow, wasn't expecting Nick to get it wrong! Guess it always pays to double check.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

I've had another chat with Nick, the mistake came from the fact he could only see a low-res image when he looked yesterday. One thing he suggested was that it simply could have been a previous owner. What they used to do back in the day was sign off their copies of records so as not to get them mixed up when lending them to other people. So unfortunately it's likely the signature isn't really anything significant.

PSN ID
    HaltAndCatchFire

Yeah, no biggie.

It was just a mystery given the condition of the vinyls and the colour of the marker. If someone printed their name in black ink, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. White markers aren't exactly common and in my experience they're usually used for autographs (same with gold and silver markets).

Anyways, TDR said they'd post it to their FB page and see if anyone could offer up some information. I guess if that doesn't net anything, then it's probably what you said- someone just marking their property.

Thank you all for your help thus far. I knew if I was going to find anything out, it'd probably be on this forum .

-CMPX

Timezone
    GMT + 1

[The vinyl-lover in me is activated]
    Is this the album?
    If it is, then how does it sound? Considering there are so many rare tracks on it (as stated on the cover)...
    Would you also take your time to scan the full cover so I/we/someone can add it to discogs for reference.
    Last edited by miljoneir; 29th April 2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: messed up link

PSN ID
    HaltAndCatchFire

Quote Originally Posted by miljoneir View Post
    [The vinyl-lover in me is activated]
    Is this the album?
    Yeah, that's the one.

If it is, then how does it sound? Considering there are so many rare tracks on it (as stated on the cover)...
    Tough to say. I don't own a conventional record player, so I've never dropped a needle on any of my vinyls. I do own an older ELP unit that currently feeds through an Apogee Symphony I/O, two ADAM S3X speakers and a SUB12 unit. Through that system, the vinyls sound fantastic- I'm positive they've never been played before, and I didn't have to make any adjustments on the player to accommodate for wear. The music itself sounds as good or better then the CD release.

I also have the 2097/XL vinyls (which have clearly been played before). I fired those up on my neighbours needle based B&O system one afternoon and they sounded great (despite being used), so I'm positive the pressing quality is top notch.

Would you also take your time to scan the full cover so I/we/someone can add it to discogs for reference.
    I don't have a scanner, but I do have a reasonably decent dSLR. If I setup my tripod for a vertical shot downwards and use a flash with a diffuser on it (to minimize glare), will this be good enough? Do you need shots of the actual vinyls or just the sleeve?

-CMPX

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I see you already added it
    Good job, and well the low quality doesn't really matter. The point was that one could get an idea of the cover color in case he'd be scavenging for it in record stores. (As I will do)

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

WOW, what a cool thread. I was gripped for all of 10 minutes while I read the posts here.

So, the name remains a mystery... evn though it looks very much like "Tim Wright" written with a white marker... maybe he just doesnt want his siggy to be made public? Ever thought of that?

Either way, what you have is a gem of an item.

I have a record bag, that was released with the original wipEout game on PS1... my pride and joy of all my collectibles (not that i have many)

I should take a pic and post it here. Anyone wanna see it?

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Of course we want to see it! Post away!

MY most prized WipEout collectables are promotional T-Shirts for WipEout Fusion and, more importantly, WipEout PurE!