Thread: Why are there so many Icaras Pilots online?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Default Why are there so many Icaras Pilots online?

I don't get what draws so many pilots to this team, it seems the diversity of teams has been in a decline lately in favour for Icaras. Its rare to see anyone use other teams right now such as piranha

I'm just curious so please don't spark a argument, just what does this team do that works for you but not for many others? cause I'm only successful with FEISAR

PSN ID
    idloveacupoft

I notice many icarus pilots at slower speeds. Obviously the speed is great but i find the icarus incredibly easy to handle also. Doing br's in icarus for some reason seems easier maybe thats just me, but its relative small and sleek frame seem to allow for an easier br

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Probably because it has a 10 speed stat and is easyish to handle. I don't like the way Icaras handles personally, it has a strange center of gravity for me. The back of the ship feels like it swings out when you turn and I don't like it.

However it might just be timing on your part or the speed class being raced at the time for you seeing all the Icaras, I see more Feisar and Harimau about playing at Rapier and Phantom.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LPswim2009

I think everyone flocks to Icaras mainly because of the speed in belief that they are guaranteed an obvious victory, half the time it is true. I've even witnessed newbie pilots on numerous occasions who instantly jump online seeming to favor the bright pink streak, I've started using it myself because of how it handles (and I need to get loyalty points), however, I'm a firm believer in that it is not the ship that gets you medals, it is the skill of the pilot, Thus I try to stay away from it to give myself more of a challenge in the circuits and to better myself skillfully as a player ^_^

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

^ I like that

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

While I find I can win in most any ship due to skill, when you have a lobby full of pilots with equal skill and abilities the ship differences really start to matter. With that being said, I find Icaras as the ONLY ship I would ever use in Venom, Flash, Rapier and here is why:

On the lower speeds, handling isn't really that much of an issue as you can sideshift about 95% of all the turns. Since you don't lose any speed while sideshifting, the acceleration becomes almost irrelevant save for jumping to the first weapon pad and getting a lucky mine, bomb, or turbo. So the ship's stats for handling and acceleration on the slower speed classes are a moot point and speed becomes the most significant factor. However, there is enough of a difference in handling between Icaras and Pirhana to more than make up for the lack of shields in the same comparison. As stated, Icaras does seem to roll better, and in fact the HD version more so, which makes up for the difference between the HD and Fury versions.

Hidden stats are also important to consider. The Icaras has a unique center of gravity. Some find it off-putting, but others that get used to it will swear by it. The combined handling and center of gravity enable Icaras to be one of the best ships to use for maintaining a racing line. Icaras is most certainly NOT a beginner ship however because to use it effectively one must be able to master risk vs. reward. Icaras is un-catcheable almost, once in the lead and quite sustainable using barrel rolls. Since all ships require the same amount of ship energy to roll, the only time that shields ever really matter is when the Icaras is getting to first place, or someone gets in a shot from behind. Initially I was drawn to it for speed, but now with the innate abilities, I'm confident in my decision. Icaras is most definitely the ultimate "green-league" ship, and to be a successful Icaras pilot, you have to learn to race accordingly (with shortcuts and barrel rolls as the priority over weapons).

Here is my personal take over the skill required to master a ship for comparison's sake (with 1 being beginner, and 5 being expert). This is *NOT* to say that if you drive a 1 rated ship you are a beginner by no means and you are an expert if you race a 5 rated ship. This is just respective difficulty to make full use of a ship based on stats. Beginner is assumed little to no race experience yet, skilled is average pilot having gotten Transcendence.

Feisar: 1 beginner, 5 skilled
    AG-Systems: 1.5 beginner, 3 skilled
    Assegai: 2 beginner, 3 skilled
    Mirage: 2 beginner, 3 skilled
    Icaras: 2 beginner, 5 skilled
    EGX: 3 beginner, 3 skilled
    Harimau: 3 beginner, 4 skilled
    Triakis: 4 beginner, 5 skilled (only due to Pirhana like handling stats)
    Qirex: 4 beginner, 4 skilled
    Auricom: 4 beginner, 5 skilled
    Pirhana: 5 beginner, 5 skilled (probably hardest due to handling)