Thread: WipEout HD Fury team tutorials for newcomers, need help please

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Lightbulb WipEout HD Fury team tutorials for newcomers, need help please

Hey everyone

I've had this idea of mine for a while after watching Hellfire's beginners tutorial for the first time, I want to help newcomers in their decision of which team to race for. So I'm thinking of starting my own series detailing all the things you need to know, tips and strategies, named:

WipEout HD Fury the Teams in depth.

How it will work is I'll run tests on each vehicle (both HD and Fury) to work out precise statistics for speed, handling etc.
    I'll try to test and work out any hidden characteristic traits of each vehicle such as ability to maintain speed in corners, "tail-happiness" and more.
    Say what the vehicle is ideal for in terms of strength and weakness.
    Give a overview of the vehicle and any recommendations to style of play with each team.

The point is to help newcomers find their ideal ship so that they can exceed at the game, what I want from you guys is any ideas that could help improve this and whether its worth making this idea a reality. Plus should I do it as a text or video format based series as I don't know which one would be better?

Please give feedback if you can, Thanks.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mietepiet

This sounds like a lot of work, I mean a LOT of work.

and first of all, I don't think for a beginner ship selection isn't really a big deal, they can may be win 0.10 second per lap selecting a ship, but they can loose over 1 second per corner on lines. Best thing is to pick a ship an stick with it. You get used to it and learn the Wipeout skill.
    Once you get pro level a ship might give you an edge, but by that time you've found most out by yourself and can always ask specific questions here

I know Dark Phantom started Wipeout with Mirage and sticked with it forever and ever.
    Have you ever seen Hellfire without a Goteki?
    There's Feisar people
    There's AG-systems people etc. etc.
    and on slower classes it's all Icaras

And also there will be an overload of info that your brains can't deal with. for example:
    You can make an easy choice between vanilla or chocolat ice cream, this takes only 1 second, right?
    But what happens if you have to choose between 100 flavours? There is at least 25 you'll like, but out of those 25 you can never pick the best one, so after stairing for 10 minutes, you'll randomly pick one out of those 25.

PSN ID
    Knux_Chaotix

Its a pretty good idea mind you, but really it depends on what people like in their ship and what your preferred racing style is (speed, an all out fight or both). When I first started playing HD Fury, I tried out nearly every ship it had to offer before I finally settled on my Goteki, and that was after flying AG Systems for almost a year. Its pretty much all down to personal preference.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Craft selection is subjective at best.
    What works for one is crap for another.
    Add the variables of the ability to change the handling of any craft by adjusting the sensitivity of the Air Brakes, .... well, unless you actually had the info directly from SL who designed the craft and AI maneuverability, it's just guess work.

Nice thought.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Doing a brief calculation based only on what I have deduced during my years of racing and analysis (as I'm sure others could add to the pile of info/data), a 'fully comprehensive' writeup on each craft and its Fury variation going into as much detail as possible would end up in the region of around 50k+ words (50k words working time: of course there would be diagrams, data etc... to pad it out).

By no means a insurmountable task, but certainly not one I'll be taking up, can't type that quickly lol.
    I would say for overall comprehension you'd want video AND text document to compliment one another, however for the sake of workload efficiency I'd say annotated videos is the way to go.
    As stated, a text version would no doubt be an arduous task.
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 17th March 2014 at 08:14 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Then you have to factor in the data you have, V's "UPDATES" and there effect.
    Honestly.
    Keeping the data up to date would be a exercise in irrelevance.

Well wouldn't it?

Not one to want to rain on a WO parade.
    But it seems rather futile.

Sorry.
    But the fact that there is no "Constant " that ANYTHING WO related can be measured against, leaves this whole topic Null & Void.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 17th March 2014 at 08:06 AM.

Yeah that too lol. Better make it 100k xD

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Describe movement in Yeldar speak.

That's the ask

If I droned on and on about ALL the random bits I know and claim to know about the game we'd all be as old as Lance and as angry as Kigo by the time I was done

Pre 2010 folks might not get that one

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Pontiac400

Perhaps maybe a lightened form of what your thinking of would be a better idea. Just do a like a 1 hour video and spend 5 minutes talking about each ships basic strength and weakness. As new comers explaining to the what the stats mean would probably be a lot more helpful to them than a long document of technical analysis. Perhaps just give the top speed of each ship so there's more of a comparison betwe how much speed you lose when say switching from and Icaras to a Feisar for that big handling boost.
    And maybe do some research on the damned Triakis. The ship has great stats on paper but handles like a bath tub on wheels

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

100k words forget it.

The way I taught my missus was to tell her to do chenghou project in venom with a ship without hitting the sides/scraping etc. She tried every ship and hated them all except for a few (feisar, qirex, ag-system and she actually liked the icaras, but hated its sheild). She ended up settling with an qirex.

A whole year and half later, she found the feisar to be better. I think she'll stick with it until it dissatisfies her and then she'll prolly goto icaras or harimau.

Most players end up switching ships when their personal skill set demands ships that suit their game play more.

I've noticed that pilots who use the analogue tend to steer more towards harimau and pilots who use the dpad tend towards the icaras... I could be wrong. Just something I think I am noticing.

Anyway, my 2 pennies worth.

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

^^ your girl plays WipEout?!! dam I wish mine would, lucky soul

Considering my current schedule for the future this idea may not happen for a long time (till the summer holidays) so I'll have to forget it for now.

Thanks for all the feedback though guys, it really helps me get a proper view of this idea and shows you care about the idea in some manner. Thanks a bunch

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

yeah, I consider myself very VERY fortunate to have my girl playing wipeout and enjoying it too. Bakc when I first got into wipeout, the game was alien to all my friends. They even thought me weird because I loved it so much. I often wondered if there were others like me, who loved this game.

Finding wipeoutzone was a blessing, but an even bigger blessing was to have my missus think the game to be really cool, cool enough to ask me if she can try. And she still plays (sometimes when I'm not around to play)

Sorry for the offtopic post btw.

Ontopic. I love the Piranha ship. Turns like a boat, but you can bash her about with even more sensitive air brake settings (lower them to 20% or go L1R1) making the piranha even more manageable... I also believe that the piranha keeps her top speed for longer than Icaras due to the piranhas weight lending it more velocity.

This remains to be proven, but I believe it. Yeldar would know if this is true or not though.

When it comes to stuff about ships, Yeldar is your guy.

One of the reason's I hate this patch, it's completely unbalanced the game because they changed ONE aspect of the handling without considering the effects it would have in conjunction with the many hidden stats.
    In competitive racing at the top level, certain ships are now more or less completely non-viable. It used to be about the synergy between the pilot, his craft and his skills. Anyone, any ship, you could be the best. Now there is more or less a definite 'best' ship for each track;any other ship is like playing FPS with a handgun and everyone else has a rifle. Sure it won't make a difference to many players, but it's still unbalanced.

/ramble

Everyone ends up in FEISAR+ eventually. It's overpowered in 2.51 compared to before. AG-Sys HD I believe is also overpowered but most people default to Fury ships these days.