Thread: Icaras vs piranha.a

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Pontiac400

Default Icaras vs piranha.a

I was playing the other day and I was wondering which ship actually is faster, all of the info I've read doesn't really give a clear answer, both teams believe their ship is fastest, I know the stats for the speed of both says 100, do they both have the exact same top speed or is one a tad faster?
    To me personally I felt like the piranha was slightly better on the top end. But that could just be all in my head (coming from F-Zero, logic say a heavier ship is faster so it's possible it's just me) but its hard to tell, I can't watch both the gauges and track. Can anyone here confirm this?

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

I believe the Piranha is heavier than the Icaras which therefore makes it slightly slower than the Icaras, but the latter obviously has better shielding.

It really comes down to the pilot though when using the vehicles, the vehicle is only as good as its pilot.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

not necessarily true.

The Piranha keeps its top speed after a turbo for a fraction longer - the weight of it adds to the velocity or something. Someone wrote about this years back, but cant remember who or when.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

Quote Originally Posted by Snakenator1 View Post
    It really comes down to the pilot though when using the vehicles, the vehicle is only as good as its pilot.
    exactly this!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    pp-123

Both ships have EXACTLY the same top speed. I have tested this on only Venom Class (as that was the only speed class where I could get a good reading on top speed; the other speed classes change in speed so much that I can't get a good top speed reading) on Anulpha Pass. When I got around the corner going onto the overpass, I took a speed rating (like a speedtrap), and listed the craft's top speed (no speed pads or turbos were used).

The reading I got were as follows:

Icaras: 462 km/h
    Piranha: 462 km/h

PICS WILL BE UP SOON!

Try it for yourself, see what happens! I could be wrong...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Pontiac400

Quote Originally Posted by Snakenator1 View Post
    I don't believe that's true necessarily, otherwise there wouldn't be so many damned Icaras pilots

But thank you for the numbers mike!! Ill have to get a friend over to watch my speed for me and share my results as well

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mietepiet

top speed of 462 km/h is confirmed, for piranha an icaras,and both hd and fury ships.
    did it on 2nd straight talon's fwd.

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchemous View Post
    I don't believe that's true necessarily, otherwise there wouldn't be so many damned Icaras pilots
    The most likely reason pilots prefer the Icaras in online games is the fact it has higher thrust and better handling, its easier to recover from weapons and mistakes during a race. Plus the fact since most Icaras pilots out there are highly skilled at the game, so the fact they can reach 1st position with ease, they can then compensate for the paper-thin shields.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

I don't think the shields are that bad on icaras unless you're being barged. The barging takes the shields down a lot. Icaras pilots can lose up to 50% energy in the kerfuffle that follows the race start if they aren't careful.

But you're right Mitchemous, icaras pilots who get out in front, usually stay in front.

Occasionally some dude with a Triakis will sneak up behind us though, then blast us into oblivion.

And then, its just a race for a podium finish

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Pontiac400

Quote Originally Posted by terra-wrists View Post
    Occasionally some dude with a Triakis will sneak up behind us though, then blast us into oblivion.

And then, its just a race for a podium finish
    Sooo true! They're far few but there are a couple good triakis pilots I've raced against and they like smash our little ships haha!

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

I always find a game to be more fun when there's variation in the teams, rarely do I ever see pilots who don't use the Icaras. I recently applauded someone for using EG.X in every single race once and he won a respectable amount of races in the lobby. I was on Feisar, he was EG.X and everyone else were the Icaras (barely any of them could use it) so half the time the Icaras pilots won. Its not that I have a problem with people using that team, I feel like some of the other teams are under-appreciated sometimes.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

I used to fly icaras because I genuinely liked the handling. Recently I've started using many teams except EG-X, due to it's turning inability. I like goteki 45 a lot but most often I use assegai, it's just very fun to fly and I feel like I'm better with it than I was with the icaras.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Pontiac400

Same here, the handling always seemed natural and predictable for me. And you could get good air off everything cause of its light chassis. Lately I've been using Auricom, the handling on the ship is unbelievable for my. Must just be my piloting style but I can put it wherever I want on the track. I miss the speed and agility Icaras has though

PSN ID
    idloveacupoft

It obviously depends on the track and pilot. I'd prefer icarus normally but usually go for assegai or mirage on phantom speed. Or on a course like sebenco for/rev or chenghou