Thread: Has anyone ever met Zico?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Pontiac400

Default Has anyone ever met Zico?

The other day while I was (successfully) attempting to beat Zico I got curious about the story behind the trophy and after learning all of the history behind it, it got me thinking about how much the game developers really enjoyed creating this game! That got me to wondering if anyone on here has ever ran across one of the developers in an online race or if any of them have ever visited the forums or been a member here?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

You used to see a couple of them online when HD was first released, and again after FURY was released [you needed to know their PSNID's ], but understandably , after spending many years on a project you would think they would of been glad to move onto something else.

Colin Berry [forum member] would also play PULSE online, as that was also pretty much his baby.

ZICO I haven't seen racing online [Not by the ZICO name at any rate], but he was reported seen wandering around the HOME wipeout site when that was first put up , as he designed and built the top down version of the wipeout game playable from there.

Not a Studio Liverpool employee.
    Jamiroquai - Jay Kay - could be found online racing Rapier class HD quite a bit , I haven't raced him or seen him online playing HD/FURY in years

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchemous View Post
    The other day while I was (successfully) attempting to beat Zico I got curious about the story behind the trophy and after learning all of the history behind it, it got me thinking about how much the game developers really enjoyed creating this game! That got me to wondering if anyone on here has ever ran across one of the developers in an online race or if any of them have ever visited the forums or been a member here?
    What's the story behind it?

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

We have had a number of SL employees as well as other industry professionals on here in the past - Colin Berry, Karl Jones, Nick Burcombe, Damon Fairclough, Paul Tweedle, Ami Nakajima, Jon Eggleton... and probably a couple of others I've forgotten

The trophy was set up as an in-house competition as to who could do the best lap on Anulpha Pass. The winner would have their acievement recognised as a gold trophy in the game with their face as the symbol. Zico came out on top, and it was a beast of a time. So much so that the 2048 version was deliberately made easier

I have met Zico in person actually, there's a picture floating around on the forum somewhere that Karl took when I went up to Sawfly at the end of 2012. He's very shy, but he did confirm to me that his time was done using only three barrel rolls. I'm also in contact with a few others as well. I do occasionally meet up with Karl and Ami whenever I can get up to Liverpool or they can get down to Eurogamer, also met up with Nick Burcombe last time I was there. I sometimes chat with Colin, Lee Carus and Stuart Lovegrove on Twitter too.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Nick Burcombe replied to a post regarding to beginnings of WO. [Probably in a R.I.P. related SL thread]

Somebody posted very early 80's YouTube links of the RAVE situation that instigated the first WIPEOUT.

View that YouTube video .... and that explains why Wipeout is what it is, and how it started

PSN ID
    scarfrogers

The Jamiroquai ..?! wow that's cool.

There is a Jay_nay who plays a lot but I guess it isn't him.

ScAr

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

wasn't there some dude called space_cowbot or something playing wipeout back in 2009/2010?

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    Nick Burcombe replied to a post regarding to beginnings of WO. [Probably in a R.I.P. related SL thread]

Somebody posted very early 80's YouTube links of the RAVE situation that instigated the first WIPEOUT.

View that YouTube video .... and that explains why Wipeout is what it is, and how it started
    That sounds very interesting. Do you have any links? I wasn't able to find anything by searching...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Pontiac400

I wouldn't mind seeing those links either blackwiggle

And hellfire that's awesome man! I'd LOVE to meet the game designers! Have you mentioned anything to them about SSGX?