Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Still Play WO3?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow How Many Still Play WO3?

Hey again to all you forum goers! I was just wondering how many of you still play WipEout 3? If there are a significant number of you, I may just set up a little time trial competition, some fun on the old games!

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    CJ4717

Yup! I still play quite a bit. The unbelievable thing is that when I was a lot younger I used to play so much better. But now that I'm used to Pure, Pulse and HD, it's difficult to grasp that drifting type mechanic quickly. It takes half an hour to really get the hang of it again.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

I agree, in my opinion it's the most F1 style WO game there is, requiring unreal precision and skills. Very hard to transition to on a dime, that's for sure.

I still play

I don’t play it nowadays because I don’t have a PSX/PS1 anymore and because I can’t find the time anyway T_T
    I’d love to though, it’s one of my favorite WO title of all time.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

If I woud have it, I would play it^^

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

@ Johnny and vincoof I think most PS3's play PS1/PSX games. I know mine does (It is an NTSC version though). WO3 however has a problem emulating the music though. It runs flawlessly, the music just skips around (and I have a flawless copy in near mint condition). WipeoutXL works 100%, and the original WO is actually available as a PSN download for about $4.99 (US) or so.

All that being said, I think that HD is my obviously favorite game from the series, but WO3 comes in a close second. I play pretty often (I still have a PS2 that seems to emulate it better). I think its the ability to boost whenever you want that does it for me, that and maybe the track list. I just wish I could barrel roll :/

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    @ Johnny and vincoof I think most PS3's play PS1/PSX games.
    In theory, yes. As a matter of fact I’ve heard that Sony’s Gaikai will use PS3 consoles to run all of their PS1/2/3 games (though I expect WO games to be awful with Gaikai). Unfortunately I don’t own a PS3 (if you can believe that), thus I can’t rely on this option.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Why should I buy a PS3, I have a fine working PS1 :-P
    I only don´t have the game

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

I still play WO3 Special Edition quite a bit. Wouldn't mind a TT competition

PSN ID
    Knux_Chaotix

I do love WO3SE. I still play it ^_^

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

How much of a speed/handling difference is there between the original WO3 and SE? That might prove our main problem in a TT competition if some own SE but not original 3.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I've only recently fired up [or at least tried to in WO3 case] to do a comparison between WO @ WO3SE on a PS3.
    WO3SE PAL will work on my PS3 perfectly, but WO3 PAL will load, and load a race, but as soon as my craft, starting from the rear of the grid as it always does, reaches the actual start line, the game freezes.

I don't think there is any real handling differences between the two PAL editions AFAIK, well there didn't seem to be when I was playing WO3SE on a PS2 after playing WO3.

JabberJaw will know, he tests these things out

I still do too, it's still my favourite game of all time. I just love the way everything in it feels. Having some time trials sounds good, it'd be cool to see how fast everyone is. By the way it's been a long while since I've visited, has the main website with the times on it gone now - I was wondering how they were standing and couldn't find the old mainsite?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Pontiac400

I just bought a copy of this game today in mint condition!! Can't wait to try it out. Wish I could have got the special edition though, the hell with being geographically challenged!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

I have WO3 SE, WO3 PAL, WO3 NTSC-U/C and WO3 NTSC-J and I play them all in the same PS2. All you need is a mod-chip. I'd recommend Modbo 4.0.

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

The closest I have to WipEout 3 right now is WipEout 64 (the original cartridge) which I still run every so often.

I really want a copy of WO3 preferably the special edition, I need to go visit the retro game shop in Manchester sometime soon so I can get my hands on it

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Some time ago I bought wip3out, so two WipEout's are missing in my collection (WipEout 64 and wip3out Special Edition)

Timezone
    GMT -8

I still play WipEout 3, but like all of the games I'm garbage, but hey I'm still game for a challenge!

Timezone
    GMT -5

Was just playing some the past few days, out of boredom for nostalgia's sake. Not a good idea to go right from Fusion to 3 though; noticing the framerate difference is amusing to say the least.