Thread: What is the appeal of Eliminator?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zzonkmiles

Question What is the appeal of Eliminator?

I love Wipeout HD/Fury. I love it love it LOVE it.

But Eliminator mode online is borderline unplayable, especially in larger rooms. And yet, it seems most of the rooms online are for eliminator matches. The concept of Eliminator is cool. But the execution leaves something to be desired. I think the problem is that it's too chaotic. There are way too many quakes, the leech beam is virtually useless because it gets negated so easily, the cannon is not worth many points, and there are too many weapons flying around at once. It seems that Eliminator is all about staying at the front or the back of the pack, shielding until you get a quake, and then blasting EVERYONE with it. This mode has so much potential, but it just seems a bit too random or luck-based for it to be as popular as it is. So can anyone explain why they like this mode so much?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

I can't because I hate it online, mainly because I have poor internet connection, so all the other ships jump around constantly, and it's no fun to keep missing ships with weapons as they jump all over the place.

Eliminator is a fun splitscreen mode, but not so much online in my opinion.

PSN ID
    Knux_Chaotix

DESTRUCTION AND CHAOS AT HIGH SPEEDS!!! Theres something beautiful about it all. I beg to differ on the luck front. Im an Eliminator addict but I tend to only play when there is between 2 and 5 players and I really only play Elims at Rapier. All of those elements make it awesome. Its not about being at the front and waiting for that all mighty Quake. Im fond of getting right into the middle of the pack and just blasting people full force with a set of rockets, its far more satisfying and has lead me to a vast number of victory's ^_^ Weapons are a bit luck based as far as what you pick up, but perfecting how to use them, thats not luck. You need to know how, when and where to be firing or what part of the track is best for leaving Bombs and Mines. Theres more skill required than people give it credit for in my opinion.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

There is a good deal of skill involved, but I guess I'm just a more race lines and BRs oriented guy, I like the pure speed of the Speed Lap & Time Trial (I now see what you mean about being stuck on an island, yeldar Except mine has no rum )

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

I've never enjoyed it in the slightest, but it's probably the best looking 'Shoot em up' racer out there I suppose. The new twisted metal is alright but if you want that AG feel this will do the trick.

Dutch Pirates always have rum :

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    OveReAction

Dude, I spent so much time playing Eliminator in both HD Fury and Pulse. Not that I'm not into racing, but it's more of a time killer for me.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Gekko_P

I suck horribly at it, but it's fun to race and shoot at friends like there is no tomorrow. Helps when work gets way too stressful.

PSN ID
    scarfrogers

I cant stand elim but I know its popular as always a lobby. I find a race is enough weapon wise. The first lap is important to get clear otherwise u can get stuck in traffic being shot at. No offence to newbies etc! U know I love you. SCAAAAAR