Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulse running on emulator video

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Default Pulse running on emulator video

Hey, with how well the game emulates now, I thought I'd make a video to give people an idea of how it can look. The emulator is PPSSPP, and I'm playing with a PS3 sixaxis controller. I'm quite curious to see how the PSP Pulse gurus react (not to the gameplay though lol, that's very bad and I'm just showing the emulation off a bit ).

Keep in mind that while I was trying to record in high enough quality without getting frame loss, there is still a bit happening as I just wasn't happy with the video quality in anything lower. However, it's very minor, and it doesn't exist at all while I'm not recording on my PC.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

What emulator is that? I've got a PSP Emulator that runs Pure and Pulse fairly well (~45 fps). Is there a better one out there?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Quote Originally Posted by amplificated View Post
    The emulator is PPSSPP, and I'm playing with a PS3 sixaxis controller.
    Pretty sure there are only a couple of PSP emulators, and this one is from understanding by far the best. I'm surprised you're only getting 45fps, assuming this is the emulator you're using. Don't get me wrong, the emulator isn't that polished yet in terms of speed, but still - I have a now-old i3 machine with an extremely basic gfx card that pulls 60fps the majority of the time.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

PPSSPP does work well if you play with the settings a little. That helped me maximize my game performance so now Pure and Pulse run at 60 fps and 1080p. It didn't start out that way, but like I said, try changing the settings, it might help.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

45 fps is the slowest speed it usually runs at. For some reason, the sound doesn't work right. There is a ton of lag (sounds choppy) at the current settings, and the music doesn't work at all. It seems to slow down to a crawl when there are multiple weapons being fired.

This has stumped me because I have a pretty fast laptop (4gb ram, non factory video card <128 mb>, windows 7, etc...) What settings are you using to get 60 fps, and is it a constant 60 or does it fluctuate?

I may have some out of date drivers, but I can't think of anything else. The CPU runs pretty cold, so I know PPSSPP isn't overtaxing the system.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

>4gb ram, non factory video card <128 mb>

That doesn't mean anything. Run Speccy, take a screenshot of it and upload it (paste) to imgur.

Emulation is very taxing on the CPU, and depending on the game still difficult to achieve. I have an i5 3570K at 4.4GHz and can't emulate WipEout Fusion correctly. Depending on graphics settings, it can also be very taxing on the video card due to MSAA levels.

PS: 128MB is a paltry amount of video RAM nowadays. Laptops today, if not integrated, ship with 1GB minimum if not 2GB.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Can't use a PSP for toffee messes with my carpal tunnel, I've been waiting to play Pulse/Pure with a Pad for a while now. Might give this a try

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

@amplificated, did you ever figure out how to save your profile without corrupting it for Pulse w/PPSSPP? I tried disabling save encryption but that did not change the outcome, and any help would be appreciated so I can actually play this game to completion on my PC.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

It'd be very interesting to see what you're capable of in this game, Yeldar.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Quote Originally Posted by DDD113 View Post
    @amplificated, did you ever figure out how to save your profile without corrupting it for Pulse w/PPSSPP? I tried disabling save encryption but that did not change the outcome, and any help would be appreciated so I can actually play this game to completion on my PC.
    Well, my solution works for me given I started on a new save profile with encryption turned off.

If you're playing an actual PSP save profile you need it ON, though. Once you have a setting that works multiple times in a row, keep it. It's probably better to keep it on as it allows you to play saves from the internet and whatever, but I personally ran into problems on like version 0.6-something and it's easier to keep it off for me now. If the setting changes at any time and you play a game, the save data you're using will be corrupted. I haven't had any data become corrupt on me in a long time.

@Alex
    I would too, but I find the controls and handling too different from HD to be able to really get into Pulse easily. In HD I had airbrakes & sideshifting as L2/R2, but because the buttons work as digital only (or feel like it) in Pulse, there's a huge difference that makes using the triggers for Pulse feel terrible, so I have to use L1/R1. Then there's the fact I could never use the stick or D-pad for pitching and there's no way for me to configure using the 6axis to work for me... it's a major change. Even the handling model is different.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

I started a new profile with save encryption off, playing only Pulse on the emulator, and it still corrupted.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmadSmartAlex View Post
    It'd be very interesting to see what you're capable of in this game, Yeldar.
    Well I would have said the same for you and HD but you never made the jump so I'm gonna traipse through the Pulse undergrowth and find me some MSSA times to chase

Must be harder for you Amp, sounds like a lot of obstacles. Fortunately I'm strictly L1/R1 and pitch/steering is all Stick, so hopefully I won't fall flat on my face.

Gonna give it a go this weekend

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

3 months late reply.

I probably could have got into HD, even though I don't really get on with the feel of the physics and the online has too much overpowered weapons spam, but they kept screwing it up with patches and didn't even reset the records tables. If the records aren't really achievable, there's no point in playing for me. Dunno if Connavar's site gets around this problem, but he banned me soon after I joined it...

Hope you guys are still playing and enjoying Pulse. I'm sure your skills will transfer over despite the different handling/physics, but the big change is that you'll need to get used to pitching the nose down as often as possible, or the fastest times will be out of reach. Personally, I find this much easier to do with the dpad (actually, it's the reason I switched to dpad after a couple of months), but then I never was the most precise player. If you want to know any of my times (or the methods I used for them, provided I can remember), I can check my profile and post or PM them.

This looks really, really nice.

I may have to get a hold of this emulator and dig Wipeout out again as I can't believe how crisp the graphics look. Wonder why Sony didn't implement this type of scaling into the Vita?

For those that have played, is there a major difference in controls when shifting from the PSP nub to a proper analog?

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

God, yes. It's so much more accurate! I play it on my Vita and it is a milloin times better than that stupid nub

Quote Originally Posted by Ace3000 View Post
    God, yes. It's so much more accurate! I play it on my Vita and it is a milloin times better than that stupid nub
    Hmmm. I may have to get another Vita as I sold the last one after the atrocity that was 2048 without even trying the older PSP games on it.

How do the graphics look on it when scaled as the analogs were quite nice.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I wouldn't call the Vita's controls proper by any means. A ps3/4 controller which can easily be hooked up to a pc would hands down snap playing the same game as on Vita.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Frame rate, Frame rate, Frame rate!

I tried running Pulse on a reasonably fast computer with a fairly decent graphics card, and I was barely able to hit an average of 40 fps. Unfortunately for us US pilots, we can't get pulse on the Vita. So this may not be an issue for Vita users. I found that Pure runs brilliantly on the Vita without the Frame rate issues.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I get 60fps+ on a 5 year old low-end PC with what was an entry level graphics card 5 years ago.

What are your settings in PPSSPP? Also, make sure you're using the latest version of the emulator.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

Quote Originally Posted by replicashooter View Post
    Hmmm. I may have to get another Vita as I sold the last one after the atrocity that was 2048 without even trying the older PSP games on it.

How do the graphics look on it when scaled as the analogs were quite nice.
    The graphics are actually pretty good on the Vita, for both Pure and Pulse.