Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AGR2280 - A Wipeout inspired racing game

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

I'm glad you guys are liking the improvements and changes so far I'm almost ready to release a new build, just need to fix up a few little things and it will be good to go. Hoping to have it released by the end of this week.

Quote Originally Posted by AGSys View Post
    Oh yeah, also, I totally forgot about designing some of the logos for the teams. I had stoooopid final year exams to blame for that, (also had to find a good 3D animation college lol). But now, I have some time to start getting creative. Keep up the awesome work bigsnake.
    Haha yeah I know how it goes with exams, I had mine last year and they just ate up all of my free time. I'm looking forward to seeing what you design, those team logo animations for SSGX were great

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Looks fantastic so far dude. I love how HDish the physics look, that's some acheivement. And personally I like the slightly cartoony look you're using, it suits it I think. Keep up the good work man

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

Very good work

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Just uploaded a preview build of the next version. There are still some issues I am going to address over the next few days but it's stable enough for me to say you will make it round the track without being consumed by walls The download link is on the first post at the bottom or just because convenience, also here.

This is also linked in the readme but I've just created this spreadsheet for later use on collecting hardware information to help see how the game runs on a variety of different hardware. The full release of v0.02 will have an FPS counter but for now something like fraps will need to be used.

PSN ID
    leegamestudios

I'm having some trouble getting controllers to work properly, I've got my DS3 connected via usb using BetterDS3 and the button setup to fit a 360 controller (xinput) but in game the controls are all off. Left analogue controls steering, square to accelerate, triangle to use pickup, cross to switch camera, and I cant find what buttons do side shift / barrel rolls. I've tried changing the controls but for some reason the unity start up thing wont recognise my controller input.

That said I was able to play rather badly for a bit and fill out the hardware collection spreadsheet.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

The default gamepad controls are setup in favor of the Motionjoy DS3 driver on the default PS3 configuration so that will most likely be the reason to why the controls are off. As for Unity's launcher not detecting your controller input, the only thing I can think of is Unity not detecting the BetterDS3 driver. Besides that though it's funny there's a post about controller configuration because I've just been rewriting my input code for analog control for steering and airbrakes and I've now got the default controls setup to a 360 controller, so that should hopefully allow you to play without messed up controls when I release that build
    Last edited by bigsnake; 19th February 2014 at 12:27 AM.

Downloaded the build and its really fun! Steering is great, works perfectly with my wired X360 controller. You should make a Time Trial mode or something, so we could post our scores . Anyway good job, can't wait to see what's coming!

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

A time trial mode would actually be better then the extremely simply speed lap mode I have setup right now. I'll make sure that is in the full v0.02 release At the moment I'm just making some >hopefully< final tweaks to my ship script to get it as close to the physics of Wipeout HD as I can, I'm not sure when It will be ready but I'm working hard at it

PSN ID
    DIXI200

Great, you're working very hard .. In this forum there are some who work in the field of video games and other studying video games for work, ... this is a good hope for a good game similar to WO. Guys unfinished to amaze me

Greetings DIXI200

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Hey guys just giving you...quite a big update actually. With the release of Unreal Engine 4 I have got myself on it's subscription plan and am currently underway of moving AGR2280 from Unity to UE4. At the moment it's going very quickly because the UE4 blueprint system allows me to recreate everything rapidly (I'll later translate it all into c++ because there should be performance advantages). This however has a downside which is that better hardware will be required to run it then it would be if I were to continue with Unity, the biggest thing being that DirectX 9 is no longer supported so you will need a GPU that supports DirectX10 and above (which even integrated GPU's do now anyway so it shouldn't be too much of a problem).

What I've managed to do with it's physically-based shading (shaders that are calculated using real-world physical properties) is insane so visually the game is going to be a huge improvement, UE4 also doesn't have separate update functions for physics/normal updates so that should also mean I can hopefully get the game running as smoothly as WOHD does

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Awesome news man, this game sounds like it's gonna be great!!

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

Yeah,keep up the fantastic work n.n

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Pontiac400

Definitely can't wait to see the new footage!! Do you have any plans to add something like a custom skin maker or alternate ship skins to select from? It's a feature that's always nifty for pc games, the file sharing abilites PC games produce is magnificent, it'd be cool to race a WOHD clone in an AG ship decked out in WipeoutZone livery

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

When I first started working on the game I was making a ship editor which has you building ships from different parts (nose, cockpit and engine/back), I never really got anywhere with it but I've kept the idea of having it in the game in mind I do defiantly want to make the game as modable as I can though so ship customization/creation will defiantly be happening at some point.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Pontiac400

Glad to hear it man, I've been watching your videos of the game and it looks super fun!! Just hope my PC can handle the new unreal engine

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    CJ4717

Ship customisation ftw! It's all I've ever really wanted in a WipEout game. This ought to be amazing, at least from what we've seen so far anyway, and now with UE4? Insane!

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchemous View Post
    Just hope my PC can handle the new unreal engine
    Hehe it's actually not too bad for spec requirements. The lowest end card for developers is a GTX 480 or Radeon HD 6870 so as long as you have those or above you should be fine for the most part

Another feature I've wanted in AGR2280 but couldn't be asked to start doing early on in Unity is a time of day cycle. Typically you wouldn't see it in a quick 3-5 minute race but if you were doing a long session in speed lap then you would notice the time changing. That's defiantly something I do need to try out at some point, I'm waiting for Epic to get their realtime global illumination working before I start looking into that though.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    wipe64

Man this so amazing !!! And a ship editor you say ? Hmmm... What about a track editor too so we can give life back to WipEout 2097 with Unreal 4 graphics... If you know what I mean...

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

I actually started working on a track editor, it's nothing special but I had basic nodes that you could place setup, the hard part is generating a track mesh between them

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    wipe64

AMAZING !!! You are now my new god