Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: AGR2280 - A Wipeout inspired racing game

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Well that sucks

Here's a normal build of the game - https://db.tt/USFzckrM

There's quite a lot of changes in this from the previous experimental build, let me know how it goes!

PSN ID
    Pluslescute

It works! I love that there is a working magstrip, too! Btw, what's the plan for the wall collisions? Will you keep them as they are now? Or will you have them slow down the player? Since I'm pretty bad at this, I was sliding around the walls often and it didn't really negatively affect me. xD This is looking great, though!

Edit: as I was replaying, I went off the course while on the magstrip and was able to land myself on another part of the track stuck on my side. When I respawned my car, I was upside down and looking at the inside of the track model. Just a heads up that going off the track while on the magstrip may do some strange things. xD
    Last edited by pichuscute; 10th January 2015 at 10:27 PM.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it! For the collisions, yeah they will slow down the player. The ship's physics material (an asset that describes how a collider reacts to other colliders) is setup with zero friction as the collisions become unstable with PhysX doing the work, so I just need to add custom friction and wall rotations and that will be the collisions done.

For the magstrip, I need to find a good balance for the forces to make the magstrips work 100% correctly so I was expecting that to happen at some point
    Last edited by bigsnake; 14th February 2015 at 03:37 PM.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

I've got one final experimental build for anyone who wants to test it out.
    ETA of the final version is the end of February. ETA of the source code is whenever the final version of Unity 5 is finally released.

Link : https://db.tt/bkbPxsj4

Changes:
    PHYSICS
    • Hovering stability has been increased as well as being made much bouncier
    • Hover landing rebound now affects the hover damping instead of adding a force (this makes the ship level out quickly after landing from great heights)
    • The ship is now pulled around by gravity while hovering over normal segments of the track (not magstrips basicly)
    • Custom friction has been re-added (this also rotates the ship now as well)
    • Pitching down now greatly increases the ship's damping, making it much better to remain stuck to the track

VISUAL
    • Ship energy trail, engine light and engine flare has been re-added
    • Ship collision sparks re-added (particles also now simulated in world space instead of local / particles no longer simulation as part of the ship)
    • Re-added HUD with new visual look.
      NOTE : The new HUD might not work correctly with an integrated graphics chip, it blurs whatever is behind each HUD element. Zero3growlithe had tried an earlier version of this and the HUD blurring for him wasn't working. I have tried this on computers at college and my own laptop which is running an Intel HD 3000 which haven't shown any issues.
    • HUD now moves around based on ship movement (left, right, up and down velocity and boosting)
    • Ship now has electrical spark particles attached when locked onto a mag-strip
    • Added basic Time-Of-Day cycle
    • Wall collisions now vibrate the camera

AUDIO
    • Most sounds replaced with new sounds that aren't from Wipeout HD (remaining sounds that are the same are ones not from Wipeout HD)
    • Added sounds for sideshifting, newly added rocket pickup and newly added mines pickup

OTHER
    • Basic AI re-implemented (not yet used in any way)
    • Added rockets and mines (not yet usable without the unity editor to set the ships pickup)
    • Ship respawning re-added
    • Both of the new maneuvers have been set to disabled by default
    • The splash screen is now the first scene to load (in the actual release this will go to the menu as the animation shows, for now it will skip to the game)
      NOTE: press any key to skip the splash screen
    • Every lap you are given a turbo as to be expected, the HUD icon doesn't changed although you will still have it. Press left shift (by default) to fire it.

Gamepad controls still aren't in just because I forgot, the final version will have these back in!
    Last edited by bigsnake; 15th February 2015 at 12:55 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

I think this project is great! I just recently started learning game development when news hit that more 3D engines were becoming free to download and learn from. I'm currently exploring how I might make an antigravity racer in UE4, but I'm very interested in this as well!

I am of the firm belief there can never be too many AGRs or imitations of Wipeout because Wipeout is just that good.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

I agree, there can't really be enough, especially since it's a genre the AAA guys just seemed to have just forgotten about. I hope you have fun learning UE4, blueprints will help make the job much easier if you haven't had any previous coding experience. If you need any help getting anything setup then send me a PM, I'd be glad to help you

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Small update for everyone.

I'm currently adding a photomode to AGR. It's based on an FPS camera and you can fly anywhere you like using it, you can even fly through any object you want. Later I will add post processing effect controls to it but for when the game actually has detailed environments I think many will enjoy this part - you are able to upscale the internal rendering resolution by 4x to create super-res images like so (large image warning) - https://db.tt/nH94LEq3. If you zoom in then you'll notice it's blurry, this is caused by anti-aliasing which I'm going to temporarily disable if you use the 4x upscaling.

PSN ID
    Pluslescute

Ooooh, that track section looks nice! Also, a photo mode sounds quite exciting haha. Keep up the awesome work man!

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Wow looking good guys.. Agreed, there can never be too much

PSN ID
    Pluslescute

So, I know you guys moved on to Ballistic NG, but is there any chance there's still a recent version of this somewhere on Git that I could take a look at? I'd love to see the recent updates you had made since the last time I had messed with it in Unity.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Yeah, here you go https://github.com/bigsnake09/AGR2280

I'm still playing with Wipeout HD-esque physics to the side so I'll probably have a repo up at some time in the future with the work on that.

PSN ID
    Pluslescute

Awesome, I definitely want to keep up with your progress on that. So keep us posted! And thanks for the link!

EDIT: Sidenote, does the AI ship part of this build work at all? I'm assuming no, because I see no change in testing, but I thought I'd ask.
    Last edited by pichuscute; 12th November 2015 at 10:55 PM.