Thread: Firesprite Games - New studio from ex-SL members

PSN ID
    marcingru

Default Firesprite Games - New studio from ex-SL members

http://t.co/g8sRGqyap3

?????

Gretzz!

Cant post more here ??? so ill edit now

there is something interesting about Firesprite logo, it was mentionet here somethnig but my not perfect english is not letting me catch it

Take a look at this ,and if someone can read Japanese will be much help

Firesprite Logo.jpgwipeout logo.png

Is text under logo does not look similar to Psx Wipeout text?

Regards!
    Last edited by marcingru; 12th December 2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: additional info

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Wow. Almost brings tears to my eyes. Those guys are a special group. Also, personally, I still believe that WipEout is special to Sony, and that they would like to see it continue on their consoles. It would be a hugely classy move to hand over the WipEout IP to Firesprite. That would completely renew my love and faith in Sony.
    Last edited by DDD113; 6th December 2013 at 02:51 AM.

PSN ID
    Knux_Chaotix

Aaah, didnt see this one lol. This is a positive thing. Im trying not to get overly hopeful though, but this could be the little ray of light we all wanted.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Was just reading this at NeoGAF... Everyone there is going nuts hoping for wipeout...As I am

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Azurooth

I'll keep my fingers crossed, it's a lot better than nothing. =)

PSN ID
    Aeralys

Their logo has a remarkable resemblance to a game I remember playing before. Anyone recognise it? No? Guess I'm in the wrong forum...

ibamBTBtHDdVPp.jpg

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Although great news to see ex SL people still active in a ever diminishing amount of gaming studios.
    The fact that Sony still owns the rights to Wipeout, and the likely fact that Sony would most likely want to keep it Playstation exclusive, might, for a independent studio like Firesprite, make it a less tempting to take on.
    I mean as they are independent, they ultimately want to make games that they can sell on multiple platforms to maximize returns.

The only thing that might make taking on a new Wipeout for the PS4 more tempting [no point making it for the PS3] would be if Sony gave them the partially constructed full console Wipeout that SL were [heavily hinted at] in the process of making at the same time they were making WO 2048.

Having a partially constructed game, or even the majority of the art work already done [ quite possibly by ex SL employees now at Firesprite] would certainly make constructing a new WO a lot quicker than if starting from absolute scratch.

PSN ID
    Aeralys

Edge has also published a great article on the news, giving some insight on the studio's ambitions.

Studio Liverpool lives on. Firesprite is the new independent development studio founded by several key members of the former Wipeout developer, and it has already shipped its first project, having helped Sony’s Japan Studio finish PS4 curio The Playroom. It is now busy at work on a new game – whether it’s a new Wipeout title remains to be seen.
    Of its 20 staff, 15 are former Studio Liverpool developers, and with that pedigree in-house Ankers believes that Firesprite can uphold high-level production values while pushing out into new areas. “Of course playing with new technology and pushing hard has always been a big part of what we do. Its been great to continue that journey with The Playroom on PS4.
    There is a new game in development, one which Ankers can’t tell us about, but we suggest that with all of the history and experience at the studio, it seems likely to be a racer – if not another Wipeout game. Ankers is careful with his reply. “All of us have made a number of racers and are big fans of the genre,” he says. “One of the founding principles of Firesprite is to work on games that are unique in some way, through some cool hardware, technology, platform or gameplay. Whatever we work on we bring all our focus and values into it and push hard to make it the best experience possible.”
    So while proud of that history with PlayStation, Ankers says that the new studio is independent, and it is not limiting itself to Sony hardware. “The engine we are creating works across multiple platforms including mobile,” he adds. “The distribution of retail or digital really depends on the game.”
    We push Ankers again – could Sony entrust the new indie to make another Wipeout? It’s not difficult to see that he’d dearly love to, but can’t confirm either way. “I don’t know where this journey is going to take us,” he adds. “Ultimately we love Wipeout but the decision isn’t ours. Wipeout is a special game, its soul comes from Liverpool development history.”
    I Highlighted most of the important parts in regards to the studio and any hints at WipEout's future. To be honest this is all great news. They clearly still have close connections with Sony and have already contributed to the PS4 with Playroom. By the sounds of it their new arrangement and engine allows much more creative freedom for indie sized titles and bigger console projects to come into fruition, so all the power to them. But seriously why you gotta tease us with dat WipEoutEsquE Logo?

Read the full article here.
    Last edited by Aeralys; 6th December 2013 at 11:47 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mikahail

Good news to read. Fingers crossed for a new WipEout, of course, but whatever the games they'll make it's great to see them with full energy.

PSN ID
    Knux_Chaotix

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    oliver_fighter7 - Olivariox

I don't think they do a new Wipeout game, at least in the short-medium term. Said this, a new Wipeout for PS4 would automatically make me buy the console, so I don't mind if they take their time as I don't want to spend 400 euros atm

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

From what I can gather from that interview, Firesprite is busy working away at building a new "Game Engine".

All games use a game engine, a lot of them are based on say something like UNREAL TOURNAMENT.
    You will get a lot of FPS using that engine, only difference would be the graphics / look of the game, and maybe some handling tweaks to make it somewhat a individual game.

To build a NEW Game engine, as stated, would only be warranted if Firesprite thought they could make a game better with their own game engine, rather than using a tried and tested engine that they would have to pay royalties on for using.

Find out what sort of game engine they are working on, and that will give you a real idea of what sort of game [s] they are contemplating on making.

PSN ID
    Aeralys

I'm not familiar with what engine was used to develop WOHD/2048. However given that Firesprite are an independent studio (with strong Sony connections), they probably felt is was necessary to make their own proprietary game engine, to be able to develop on those other platforms and include the quality and techniques the team has gained over all the years at SL.

Both Batman: Arkham Asylum and UT3 was made on the unreal engine. Both drastically different in gameplay. Still I couldn't imagine WipEout HD, and the techniques used to make it would be possible on that engine.

This Article gets a bit technical on some development techniques used to make WOHD's graphics they way they are. It mentions making good use of PS3's Edge Tools? Possibly an example of some capabilities they're trying to replicate in a new engine to bring across to more platforms?

So yes I'd say that a new engine is definitely warranted in their ambition. They're building both the engine and the game to go with it. Integrated development and all.

I don't know, It's all good news. I'm so exciiiited and I just can't hiiiide it?

I would hope they would make a game like wipeout ( very much like ), call it something else, so it is their game and they can do what they like with it.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I think Sony would be ready to pounce on Firesprite if they made a game too similar to Wipeout and called it something else.

If they do make a futuristic racer, it could be so vastly different that maybe Wipeout fans wouldn't be interested in it.
    Fatal Inertia is a classic example of this.

The genre of futuristic racing has always been hampered by each gaming system having it's own take on it.
    Playstation with Wipeout, Nintendo with F-Zero, Xbox with Quantum Redshift.
    Wipeout has been doubly hampered by having it's last two new games only released on PSP.

What's needed to get the whole category back in the public's attention is a killer racer that is released on all consoles.
    When you pared it right down, it only really needs 3 basic things.
    Great tracks, great craft physics/handling, and a online leader board to update your recorded times for each track/speed class, the rest is dressing.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

New wipeout incoming or not, it's a very good news for those devs !

PSN ID
    stin_wz

*closer to buy a brand new PS4 , looking promising.

stevie
    Last edited by stin; 7th December 2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: stupid bold letters :/

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

This is great news and it will be interesting to see what games they produce! I don't know about Wipeout though I mean despite the obvious barriers of Sonys ownership of the game, even if those weren't a problem do you think they could afford to develop a full Wipeout title? It might have been niche but its not indie.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    GalaticTitan

It's awesome to see them back now. I hope they make something better than WipEout (no offence lol) But maybe...a new Destruction Derby or Colony Wars?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    Fatal Inertia is a classic example of this.
    Actually I never understood the hate for Fatal Inertia. For me it's like an off-road AG racer. Sure, it is nowhere near WipEout but it has it's own unique style and it doesn't try to copy WO. It's like comparing Gran Tourismo with Need For Speed... Anyways, online races on Fatal Inertia are lots of fun, cuz the learning curve is easier than WO. But for a singleplayer experience, I'd prefer WO more.

Back on topic: If not a new WipEout, then maybe at least some sort of innovative/futuristic game is what I would hope for. I mean, these guys should know best how to design a futural environment.