Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Mode Icons

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow Game Mode Icons

I was just looking at the Japanese prefecture flags, trying to identify where all of your weapon logos came from (pretty cool stuff), and I saw some Japanese municipal flags which I copied that might look good as icons for race modes. I didn't know if you had any yet, so please tell me if you do, but in the case that you don't, then I'll post them!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

We don't have any race mode symbols yet. I am also not 100% certain if we need 'em but I guess they could be implemented so feel free to post your ideas

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

You probably wouldn't use 'em a lot, maybe just on the loading screens and for quick event identification for online events. Anyway, here's what I was thinking, I'm just going to post the flags directly, no editing.

Single Race: single_race_icon.png Endurance: endurance_icon3.JPG Street Race (Sao Paulo): street_race_icon.JPG Time Trial: time_trial_icon.JPG Speed Lap: speed_lap_icon.png Zombie: zombie_icon.png Zone (or whatever we end up calling it): velocity_challenge_icon.png Platformer: platformer_icon.JPG

Of course, these are just the copied flags, the colors and angles and stuff can always be changed around. Some of them aren't very high resolution, either, but I picked the ones I thought represent the modes best. Anyway, just tell me your opinion, some of them aren't my favorite (single race), but others fit pretty well (zone, street race, time trial), so they can always be changed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

I really enjoy your idea. Just add another one for 'Head on Head' Maybe Theo can also reply to this, since he created the weapon logos. Actually it would be pretty cool to keep the same idea [the jap. symbols] like a concept throughout the game modes & weapon icons

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Yeah, I really like the Japanese flag designs, and I think they go well with the game. It helps that you guys make 'em look good, too. I totally forgot Head on Head, I'll get one for it soon!

Edit: I think this one's decent for Head on Head: head_on_head_icon.jpg

I like that one because the top of it looks like two forces colliding, which is essentially what the mode is. Theo could make it a little bolder so it would show up better and not be so "thin," but I like the idea of it.
    Last edited by DDD113; 1st December 2013 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDD113 View Post
    If you mirror it left/right then we could read a rotated "S" as in Single Race. Thoughts?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Hmm, nice thoughts vincoof. I'll get a rotated version up in a minute!

Edit: Here it is!

single_race_icon_upright.png

I'll admit, I do like it better, it makes a little more sense now.
    Last edited by DDD113; 2nd December 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Actually I was thinking of a "mirror" (flip from left to right) which would be enough to read the S and which would keep the "vertical" feel (if it was intended). The one you just posted is nice, though :)

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Oh, you mean like this: single_race_icon_mirror.png

I see now, I think I do like this upright version more, but both look good!

That’s exactly what I was thinking of. Feel free to keep whichever you prefer

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Thanks for the suggestion, I really do like the new upright version better. I was thinking of replacing that icon with something else, but I like it better now that it has some sense behind it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Good eye, vincoof. I also like the upright version because the S is clearly visible.

My favourites so far are Single Race, Head on Head and Zombie. Time Trial and Speed Lap are also nice.... Only Endurance, I confuse it with something time-based always cuz I see a clock there

Well and for Zone and Platformer... I think the Platformer idea is more or less dropped and for Zone we still aren't sure if we can even include such a mode without copyright issues. So I wouldn't care too much about those symbols as of now.
    The Sao Paulo street race doesn't need a symbol btw. Dunno if I have mentioned it before. Because it is an exclusive event and not a race mode. We will also have a Tutorial on the beginning, which also doesn't feature a symbol. Cuz I think it wouldn't make sense since you cannot select this in your race mode settings, but in your timeline of campaign progress

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Aha! I now see the clock you mentioned! I'll look for another icon once I get some time, something that conveys "Endurance" better, we'll see what there is. For the street race icon, I actually wasn't planning on having one, but when I was browsing the flags, I saw that one, and it just struck me as a skillcut coming off the main track, the mark of a street circuit. I wasn't sure if we would use that one or not, but I thought I would provide it anyway.

I think we could get away with an acceleration-coupled-with-integrity-drain type mode, maybe eliminate score all together, and simply rank pilots by their time, that seems fairly different from the zone we know. I think I mentioned this in another thread, but you could regain integrity by hitting speed pads and doing barrel rolls, which would also add to the difference. All in all, I think we could swing it, but it depends on what the rest of you think.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Well, I still haven't found a good Endurance icon, but I did find a cool alternate speed lap icon, I'm not sure if I like it more than the current one or not, but they are both cool.

speed_lap_icon2_edit.png

I did edit it slightly, so it's not the exact flag icon. I wasn't looking for another speed lap icon, but I really like that one, so I thought to include it. I also found another cool icon, I'm not sure what mode it might correspond to, but since we are still discussing game modes, it could come in handy.

800px-Flag_of_Oita_Prefecture.svg.png

It reminds me of the missile lock icon from Fusion, with the arrows added, I could see it spinning and honing in on the enemy. Anyway, those are my ideas for today, more are yet to come!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Keep 'em coming, your ideas are good. The new SpeedLap icon is great, I like it.
    The other icon reminds me a bit of a Teleporter aswell

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Hmm, that it does. Now my mind runs wild with new mode ideas.

Goldstar Advancements Obital Defence Platform 'Sentinel Station'
    PSN ID
    kingpin123455

You know the Street Race mode, is it going to be in a free roam styled city like in Need for Speed Underground 2 & onwards? Because if it is, there should be a free roam mode as well.
    This is just a logo Attachment 8854

This is just an idea so you don't have to put it into the game. The ships would look like civilian ships but they will use the team racing ship skin for the one you choose.

Idea rejected.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the possible Zone mode could be called Speed Survival. After all, Zone mode has always been a survival with increasing speeds.

- - - Updated - - -

Although not the mode icons, possible mode descriptions could be: Single Race=Race against 7 other ships to get to 1st place. Endurance=Survive as long as possible without getting destroyed. Street Race=Race on the streets of Sao Paulo for 1st place. Time Trial=Race against the clock to get the best time. Speed Lap=Complete up to 99 laps for the best lap time. Zombie=Race against 7 other racers who are trying to take you out. Zone*=Drive around the track at increasing speeds for as long as possible. Eliminator=Don't race. Fight for 1st place. Earn points for attacking and destroying your opponents. Platformer=Race as normal but beware of hidden platforms appearing from the track to block your path.

*=name may change

P.s. Sorry for the multiple posts. I'm just getting a lot of ideas.
    Last edited by kingpin12345; 7th July 2014 at 04:20 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Ther will be Street Racing? o.O

Goldstar Advancements Obital Defence Platform 'Sentinel Station'
    PSN ID
    kingpin123455

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Ther will be Street Racing? o.O
    Check the 1st page of this thread.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

First of all, the attachment is not working. Try to upload it to a filehoster and link it here.

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin12345 View Post
    You know the Street Race mode, is it going to be in a free roam styled city like in Need for Speed Underground 2 & onwards?
    You have a given track in Sao Paulo. It is not free driving and also not a "game mode" on it's own any more. It is just the prologue to the campaign. However, you can select Sao Paulo in the Event menu later on once you beat the Sao Paulo races.

Endurance=Survive as long as possible without getting destroyed.
    Endurance has a fixed lap count aswell. Otherwise you might have very lenghty to endless races when only 2 ships survive [imagine playing chess and both players only have the king and the queen left].

Speed Lap=Complete up to 99 laps for the best lap time.
    It's rather about getting practice for completing perfect laps in the fastest time. No need to complete all 99 laps.

Platformer=Race as normal but beware of hidden platforms appearing from the track to block your path.
    Platformer was just one idea out of many. The thread is kinda old already. Currently Platformer is on hold. We are focusing to finish up the usual race modes first, then see what other race modes would fit in well to get a nice balance throughout the game.

Sry about the short and direct reply, am short on time at the moment
    Last edited by docfo4r; 7th July 2014 at 03:11 PM.