Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Did you know... Random facts about WipEout HD Fury here!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Quote Originally Posted by Snakenator1 View Post
    Its possible to perform a double barrel roll within the same jump!! albeit its one of the hardest techniques to do.

If you jump and perform a barrel roll, depending on the track inclination the boost from the first barrel roll on landing will keep you airborne for a little longer. Since you used the boost from the first roll you can roll again to get a second boost!

I've only managed to do this once on Ubermall, the straight before the finish line since the track goes up and levels out it is possible to use this technique there
    It was either Leungbouk or Pirapac that told me you can do a double BR pretty much anywhere you have the air time to, and the thumb dexterity
    The trick is you have to do it the opposite of the previous BR.
    So say the first was Left / Right / Left , the next should be Right /Left / Right.
    If you look at some of the old SL videos from say the top 10 WR times, you will see they all pretty much do this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by terra-wrists View Post
    he's most likely referring to the invisible walls which you can bounce off - like in uber rev, lol... its definitely random but most of us know about these anyhow.
    Well you don't actually bounce off 'Invisible Walls', more like go through them, especially on Ubermall reverse.
    wohd_20090302_143027.jpg.jpgwohd_20090302_142954.jpg.jpg

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    I'm curious Snake, I think I know what you are talking about, but just for clarification...

Are you talking about a double in air without landing anywhere? Or do you mean than you land for a split second before getting a second roll?
    I mean the one where you land for a split second and perform the second roll.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

that's called "chaining"

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Trust me to get the terminology wrong lol

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post

Well you don't actually bounce off 'Invisible Walls', more like go through them, especially on Ubermall reverse.
    wohd_20090302_143027.jpg.jpgwohd_20090302_142954.jpg.jpg
    thats the Turbo BR shortcut... but there's another just a little later which can be done without turbo... up the hill side shift BR and BR again when you hit the non existent wall.

PSN ID
    marcingru

Quote Originally Posted by terra-wrists View Post
    I can rock it nicely, but put me in any other speed class, and I'm a noob
    Got same "problem" hehe ,when i started playing WO i was going for phantom but now my preferred speed classes are:

1 Flash
    2 Rapier (more fast paced race but good opportunities for BR too )
    3 Venom/Phantom (Venom,to slow for my taste and slighty different BR techniques , Phantom its ...phantom , "you love it or hate it"

Its all about BR for me ,looking around for new places for roll added more deep to already great game also very important is to "feel" ship and track environment

annnd on Uber Rev right after start its great place to double BR ,important to approach it with added angle, SS and fire BR then V.fast next one

Greetz!

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

that double over the hill in uber rev once went wrong and turned into a quadruple - no lies... didn't make much difference to the speed though coz i didn't anticipate the nudge from other ships and so... well, I BR'd the two extra ones (muscle memory when getting some air) just to maintain the speed from the previous two BR's lol.

Weird thing is, my girl saw me do that on her screen when she was racing and was like "wow"... little did she know that it wasn't fast or anything lol, just trying to keep speed up.

I'm gutted i can't record races anymore, pulled of some very nice moves over the past year or so. Would have been ace to have them up on YT to show off

And Marcingru, flash speed seems to have all the thrills I don't love phantom as much as I do flash, but phantom is still a speed class I race, albeit very occasionally. I just don't find it as appealing as flash trickin' BR's like a monkey on hallucinogens flying aerobatic anti grav machines

Ok, who spiked me with DMT?

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Apparently, 285,970 people own wipEout HD Fury, at best - if everyone actually paid for the game - it would have grossed £5,719,400 at £20 per game (HD+Fury)

Considering that the game became free during the PSN hacking fiasco, and the fact that the game is now even cheaper than the original £20 - I think a safe estimate for the gross could be anywhere between £1,000,000 - £1,800,000.

These are just guestimates, but I'm curious if anyone actually has the figures.

Timezone
    GMT -6

It would explain why Sony shut SL down. Maybe, if they had released the other WipEout games (and G-Police) on PSN, and released the DLC for Pulse in the US, they would have gotten better sales.

Also, I had a thought: What if Somy adopted a Name-Your-Price approach, where every game's price would be the baseline for the minimum price. Wealthier customers who want to support the developer can be a little extra if they really, REALLY want. It wouldn't be guaranteed to work, but it would not hurt either.

PSN ID
    Marysh24

Did you know...

That the names of Auricom and Qirex may have Latin Origins?
    Auricom seems an elaboration of the Latin word "Aureo" which means "Golden" (lalwhut?), mixed up with the name "America", oblivious.
    Qirex is more closely linked to a phrase I tested with the spell "Qui Rex?" meaning "Which King?", so is like meaning "We are the King" (istillconsiderthemasamorefemenineteam -SHOT!-) .

Again about Qirex, they choosed Violet as basic color to differ from the 'Murica Team's colors, since we know, both of their national flags are Blue-Red-White. So Qirex mixed up Red and Blue and puf! Violet was born!

Assegai is also a tree, the Zulu Tribe takes the wood off it to make the well-known Spears which give the name of this loved Team; in South Africa, where the Team born, this tree is protected.

Pir-hana have the flower as Logo due to in Chinese/Japanese language, "Hana" means "Flower".
    Pir? WAT?

The Track Vostok Reef (?) is a real place, but in Antartide, the real name is just Vostok and is a Russian Base for the studies in that land; also there they registered the lowest temperature ever: -89 Celsius.

Makana means Gift in Hawaian Language, not Goteki as I read once P:

Here for now what I discovered guys! Enjoy! :3

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

Quote Originally Posted by Saramica12 View Post
    Pir-hana have the flower as Logo due to in Chinese/Japanese language, "Hana" means "Flower".
    Pir? WAT?
    They had to retcon Piranha as a merger of Pir and Hana due to Wip3out's typo of the team: Pirhana.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

Hah! I knew it! I'm not mental! I always kept typing Pirhana until i actually noticed it is not spelled that way (which was super odd to me) Didn't know it was an actual typo during development xD

Cipher

PSN ID
    Marysh24

@Ace3000 I know! But Pir seems doesn't have any logic in the Team name, or no? P:
    Hana instead is very fine, since in Chinese means Flower, and in the Wiki is listed first as a Chinese Team, that's perfect! :3
    But Pir? Piiiir? P:

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

The amount of energy transferred from an enemy to you from a leech beam depends on the distance from you and the target.
    The shorter the distance too the target, the more energy you steal (An negative correlation).

And after a bit of experimenting, the fastest rate of energy transfer from a leech beam is about 5 transfers per second.
    Since each transfer steals on average 4% energy and the beam lasts for 3 seconds, I can make a rough estimate for the maximum amount of damage that can be inflicted by a leech beam is:

4 x 5 transfers = 20 x 3 secs = 60 Damage! The equivalent to a plasma!
    This is under the bed case scenario of being right next to your target and not losing the beam, this also varies depending on shield ratings of the craft. This also only applies for single race mode where the weapon damage is lower, Eliminator could see a leech beam take you from 100% - >20% in that time depending on shield ratings again.
    Last edited by Snakenator1; 9th December 2014 at 11:07 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

@snake: how did you test it? 2player mode online, offline?

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Yeah I used offline split-screen mode, I tested for the average damage it does and max transfer rate. Its only a estimate I gave.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

so i tested this for myself in offline split screen with triakis attacking icaras. snake is right in saying that distance makes a difference, but his numbers are incorrect. leech beam inflicts 7 damage to your victim at maximum distance, and 19 damage at close range.
    if icaras attacks triakis it's 6 damage at maximum distance, and 15 damage at close range.

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Interesting that, I think your set up probably has more reliable results because it seems I missed something in my test.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

i tested leech beam again, this time in eliminator mode. at maximum distance it inflicts 24damage, and 67damage at close range.
    a plasma inflicts 89damage. but the most powerful weapon is the rockets item at close range, it means instant kill!
    all victims were icaras

Random fact 1, WOHD has split screen, because Karl Jones challenged Zico that he couldnt get it working.
    Zico won the challenge.

- - - Updated - - -

Random fact 2, Harimau was named after a sub-species of Tiger