Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Game Mode Idea

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Could you have a silver metal and a brown metal then with some color accents? I'm just looking for a little more variety there, since you guys seem to roll out ship skins pretty fast. How about including the Sao Paulo city as the main Zombie course but being able to unlock the rest anyway, just to have more tracks to run on. I do like the buddy idea, although I'm going to personally call him the Mysterious Stranger simply because I play too much Fallout If you would do that, then I think the best thing to do would be to have the Zombies continue to spawn in group each sector, until they reach the limit of that wave, and then, once they're all killed, you have a free lap to meet up with the Mysterious Stranger, and then you could do a leech beam like effect when he transfers energy to you. I think it would be cool to have a Boss Wave every handful of waves, and have your buddy join in for that wave. Now I would suggest that the boss be coated in an all out badass red skin, that would be cool

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

That's a pretty sick idea. I really like it.
    I picked the Sao Paulo location since over there you have more free room to hide & destroy single Zombies but actually, for variety's sake it would be nice to have em on the official tracks aswell.

How about this mysterious stranger is actually Carlos? And you are just diving into the sick phantasy of Carlos

For ppl who dunno who Carlos is: He organizes underground races in Sao Paulo and also guides the player in the Tutorial, he is like your underground buddy - A rough type of a guy. He is also controlling a modified version of the Thruster.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    pp-123

Quote Originally Posted by DDD113 View Post
    I think it would be cool to have a Boss Wave every handful of waves, and have your buddy join in for that wave. Now I would suggest that the boss be coated in an all out badass red skin, that would be cool
    I second this. For boss waves, why not have one big boss ship (With 500 - 100% shield energy and special weaponry) and some minions guarding it?

Also, can you give me a screenshot or a track plan of the Sao Paulo track (If it exists)?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Sorry, the plan doesn't exist yet [btw it will be a city layout firstly^^]

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

How about this mysterious stranger is actually Carlos? And you are just diving into the sick phantasy of Carlos
    Yes. This I like alot. I'm familiar with Carlos, and I think this is a very cool idea. It's funny that you would suggest a modified Thruster, as I was thinking of having both you and he fly in a sort of pimped-out Thruster, almost what you would imagine the "Thruster Prototype" to be. You could even have a story behind the mode, like, for example, a gang was after Carlos for something, so they're trying to kill both he and you since you're associated with him. Then it would actually make sense, and his last sentence in the Zombie mode tutorial could be "They're gonna be chasin' you like zombies straight outta hell." or something like that, giving the mode its name! Also if you have the existing track layouts, I could make the checkpoint markings and maybe do some other work with them too.

Edit: I still like the idea of getting a cannon pickup at every checkpoint, even if you can't absorb it. I think this cannon should have larger shots and almost look more like short laser beams, like the proton cannon from Fusion. Also, since the number of Zombies increases with each wave, so should your cannon rounds per checkpoint.
    Last edited by DDD113; 28th November 2013 at 12:36 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    pp-123

Hmm.. Sounds quite interesting. Why not have the Thruster as an unlockable ship after you do certain things in Zombies mode, such as: Kill 4 zombies in 1 clip of a cannon, run 5 perfect laps in a row, etc.

Also, why not have just a single barrel cannon that can be upgraded by a perk to double or triple-barreled, or make Zombies in the later rounds have weapons too?

Different perks that might want to be added:

Extended Ammo: For every Cannon pickup you get, you get 45 rounds instead of 30.

Battering Ram: Your rams deal 4 times as much damage.

Juggernaut: For 15 seconds, all weapons deal double damage.

Lucky Draw: Have a chance for a Zombie to give you a random weapon or a random upgrade every time you kill one.

Double Down: You can have 2 weapons at once (Use a key to swap weapons?)

Second Wind: After you die, you can respawn with 30 integrity remaining (1 time use).

Deep Pockets: Gain a random amount of extra cash every time you start a wave or when you kill a zombie.

Double-Barrel: Your cannon shots are now double-barreled rather than single barreled.

Triple-Barrel: Your cannon shots are now triple-barreled rather than single or double-barreled (Requires "Double-Barrel" perk).

Detonator: Your cannons turn into very powerful miniguns (Like on the Qirex Prototype, but reloadable like the Detonator ship) that can reload. Lasts for 30 seconds. (One time use!)

Last Stand: Your craft is packed with explosives that will explode when your craft is destroyed, earning you some last-second points.

Any of these sound good?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Personally, I'm not a fan of the "perk" idea, because you would have to pause the game to choose upgrades and perks, etc. This just interrupts it and would make it less fun in my opinion, I think a flowing, comprehensive mode would be more entertaining. I think that your proton cannon clip should be replenished at each checkpoint, but you can't absorb it; it can only be used to shoot the zombies. Also it would make sense to only have eight total ships on the track at one point, so for example if the wave has a total of 15 opponents, 7 would spawn, and when you kill one, another one would spawn at the next checkpoint, keeping the limit at 8 until the total 15 are destroyed. I will come up with a more comprehensive plan later today, so keep posted!
    Last edited by DDD113; 28th November 2013 at 05:03 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    pp-123

Quote Originally Posted by DDD113 View Post
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the "perk" idea, because you would have to pause the game to choose upgrades and perks, etc. This just interrupts it and would make it less fun in my opinion, I think a flowing, comprehensive mode would be more entertaining.
    Why not make the perks and upgrades scattered around the track so you would have to find them, and then pay with your points to upgrade? (This can be done mid-wave) Personally, I think that the zombies should have no limit, so it would be completely unpredictable on what their spawn pattern would be. For example, the zombies could spawn in a pack to take you out with brute force, or they could spread out and then attack by stealth or ranged attacks. I think it could work either way.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

It would still be rather interesting, and wouldn't make a whole lot of logical sense as to how to upgrade your ship while flying because of random things on the track. I don't think the Zombies are going to have weapons either, at least if it's based off the one from 2048, they will just ram you to take you out. I think it's just more of a brute force mode by concept, and I am basing the spawning to a certain number idea off of Call of Duty's Zombie mode. I like the simple concept of this mode, it's just the survivial of barrages from enemy ships, no confusing perks and such. Also wondering how there would be different waves if the zombies were unlimited? I would suggest unlimited waves with short breaks in between for cooldown.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    pp-123

Well, think back to the Black Ops II Zombies mode. They had rounds, where a set number of zombies would spawn every round. Those would be the waves in this game. Also, this is a video game. You really don't need a whole lot of logic to make a good game (Slightly off topic).

So, I might have a better idea: Why not combine Detonator mode with Zombie mode and design a new ship for this mode (Unlockable) that can reload on the spot?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Yes, I know it's a video game, but all you have to do is look at just how much detail we put into the environments and sponsors, considering what society might be like and the logical functions of it. Plus it's inspired by WipEout and we don't make "the sky toxic orange with 10 moons flying around it." We try to make it as believable as conceivably possible.

The Black Ops II Zombie example you gave is exactly what I based my model off of. They did have a set number, but if that number was higher than the number of zombies allowed on the map at one time, they would continue to spawn as the existing ones were killed. I think you have to have enough time with your single cannon pickup to make you ration it and use it strategically, i.e. reloading at every checkpoint, which was my original concept.
    Last edited by DDD113; 28th November 2013 at 06:20 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    pp-123

Hmm... You do have a point. I guess you've won this argument.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Well, I hate to argue with you, I've liked you ever since you joined here and I still do, I just have a more "rough" vision of this mode, just a battle between machines, trying to survive, in a simple concept form. We'll see what Kai (docfo4r) says tomorrow and go from there. I am happy you care about this project too, and I'm not saying your ideas are bad, they just don't fit with the game the way they are, but like I said, we'll see, it's all good, mate

Anyway, my concept. I've set up a spreadsheet that shows the number of zombies in each wave and the number of Bosses and regular zombies in boss waves, which are every five waves. Carlos will come to assist you in boss waves, he will have a cannon as well. He will also come to replenish your energy after every five zombies you kill, even if he comes in during the wave, he just recharges your energy, does not fight, and drops back. However, Carlos does not assist you on boss waves 110 and 115, you are on your own, but he will still replenish your energy after the wave. I doubt anyone would even make it there, no one is supposed to . I'm thinking of adding an extra zombie every two rounds instead of every one, to make the mode take less time, but what are your thoughts on this idea?

Edit: Wow, forgot to even link it, that was dumb!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&usp=sharing
    Last edited by DDD113; 28th November 2013 at 06:36 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    pp-123

I think that would be awesome. If you could put a download link to the spreadsheet by PM. Energy replenishing after every 5 kills? Well, that may be something to ask for as depending on the strength of the cannon you are given, I think that the Zombies should have about 75-90% of your health, and maybe have a power ram attack to ram, slow, and destabilize your craft. So, I think a good start is 10 Zombies. The thing is, the game would get fairly boring if the AI behaved exactly the same if only a maximum of 7 zombies were attacking you at the same time, as eventually you would develop a strategy to just kill all of the zombies, and just do it over and over again. So, if the AI would change every wave or so, or add more zombies to the mix, that might make things more interesting. Arenas (Not circuits) would probably make things also more strategic with obstacles and such. Also, how would Carlos behave during the boss waves?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

I debated between 5 and 10, and it would depend on the strength of the cannons, shields, etc. which will be up to the devs. I think the AI could have varying levels of strategy and aggression, but the only reason that I limit it to 8 ships on track at one time is simply because of game performance. Even my quad-core computer with Nvidia GeForce card stumbles every once in awhile with the current 8 ships in a race, and I have a feeling that too many more would make the game perform badly. I think it would be cool to have more, but it just may not be possible for hardware reasons. Arenas would be interesting, but environment design is one of the most time consuming parts of this project, and I don't know if it would be worth the time if you could run it on circuits.

As for Carlos, I imagined him going Rambo with proton cannon bolts flying from the front of his ship in every direction, but we'll see what Kai thinks

And I will modify the zombie numbers in the spreadsheet.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    pp-123

Well, the game just immediately crashes for me (I'm on a Mac btw), so I don't know how the game will perform on my laptop, but we'll just have to see how the devs react to our discussion.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Yeah, we'll see what they like and what they don't, good discussion anyway though, we covered a lot of ground.

As for your laptop, the first problem is that it's a Mac (I'm a Windows guy), and maybe it just doesn't have the processing power to play it. My laptop runs it, but only at about 5 fps on the lowest settings possible.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Hey Mike, try to use Stuffit Expander to unpack the thing on Mac instead of UnrarX, which destroys the package by unpacking for unknown reasons.

As for the Zombie mode: Well, I don't really want it to be too complicated, considering pickups and pause-menu tuning. It needs to be one "flow". Like in the Zone mode: If I hit pause and continue later on I most likely loose because I am out of the flow for that session.
    No matter how many Zombie ships we use, when Carlos appear, what weapons are used etc. there is one key thing that I didn't figure out yet: You gotta destroy the Zombies using the Cannon, right? And the Zombies ram you. What I don't want is to take away the speed of the mode. So you gotta have to move forward constantly, at least if you are racing on a circuit rather than Sao Paulo. And for a Cannon to be effective, the Zombies need to be infront of you. So I am not really sure how we can solve this problem...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Good point, Kai, I agree with everything you said. Maybe you could have two weapons, one activated by the fire button and one activated by the absorb button. One of the weapons could be a sort of mini-impulse blast, where there is just a small disruption and a little damage done. The other could be a minigun mounted on a swivel on the back of the ship that locks on to a ship and shoot it until it is destroyed or out of range, basically a lock on cannon. Each of these could be replenished at checkpoints and only reloaded to a certain amount of ammunition, making you ration it and use both weapons wisely. The cannon could have much more ammo than the impulse, making the impulse most useful in a tight pack. Basically, it would keep the same idea of a forward cannon, except it would be facing backward naturally and able to rotate 360* to fire on locked opponents. That's my best idea so far, but I may come up with something else later, so stay tuned.

Edit: I digitalized my Zombie ship concept for a more clean and smooth look, to give you an even better idea of what I envision it to be.

zombie_ship_concept_digital_overview.png zombie_ship_concept_digital_sideview.png
    Last edited by DDD113; 29th November 2013 at 12:10 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    pp-123

Or, why not have a "Flip" button like in Eliminator that could allow us to fire backwards?

Good ideas so far though. The locking minigun seems a bit overpowered though, so why not give it less ammo than your main cannons (If they exist with the small impulse blast)? Also, nice Zombie ship design so far, looks like the FEISAR Prototype from 2048. If you want to have a sense of speed in this game mode, why not make Sao Paulo a fairly open track with some techinical sections to break it up somewhat?

Those are just some of my ideas (Quite exhausted, so I couldn't come up with more ATM).

Happy Thanksgiving / Hanukkah to all.

~Mike
    Last edited by Mike458; 29th November 2013 at 02:46 AM.