Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Game Mode Idea

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    pp-123

Nice game modes that you've created! However, I think that many of them are too Eliminator-esque, as that doesn't fit with the storyline of the ARC 150.

Quote Originally Posted by DDD113 View Post
    For example, many times on Cassandra or Draco Cavernae on Gamma class, you're lucky to run a perfect lap in an iFreet (which has a handling stat of 90/100 by the way)
    Yes, but you're more likely to get eliminated (thanks to the crappy shielding) rather than actually complete a lap.

What material did they use to make those shields? Random christmas cards lying around the iFreet HQ?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

@Amaroq - I too hope that we will have single race modifiers that will allow you to tweak weapon usage and maybe some other, more standard options, but that will all be decided the closer we get to completion. As to Handicap Race, I'm not a huge fan of this mode as it destroys the element of ship choice if everything is changed, and wouldn't make too much sense for a competitive league. Flagrun is interesting though, I don't know if it has been proposed yet or not, but it ties in with the time bomb idea, just kind of the opposite, so good thought there. We have also discussed a Marked Man type event which is similar to a standardized Juggernaut mode, so there is a chance for inclusion there.

@Mike - You don't need good shielding if you never hit walls and outrun the pack, which is why iFreet is the best ship for a careful and precise pilot, and why it holds both Gamma TT world records on the October 2013 demo.

And as a sidenote for anyone on the outside brainstorming modes: You can feel free to propose modes condoning violence and eliminator-like qualities. We have done the same here at AirTime, but so far we have tried to keep a tactical twist on all of those type of modes, instead of just straight eliminator. We try to have more class than WipEout by including different motives and objectives with violent modes instead of just straight destruction-for-points, so do keep that in mind if you want to create a mode that includes violence.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    pp-123

And as a sidenote for anyone on the outside brainstorming modes: You can feel free to propose modes condoning violence and eliminator-like qualities. We have done the same here at AirTime, but so far we have tried to keep a tactical twist on all of those type of modes, instead of just straight eliminator. We try to have more class than WipEout by including different motives and objectives with violent modes instead of just straight destruction-for-points, so do keep that in mind if you want to create a mode that includes violence.
    That sounds like a plan. New game modes incoming!

New game mode: Basewar!

The goal of this game mode is to destroy the opposing team's base before they destroy yours. Every ship is equipped with a cannon (like the Detonator ship) which holds 15 rounds. However, you no longer have infinite ammo to reload yourself with, so make every shot count. Going over weapon pads will restore your reserve ammo (how many spare bullets you have remaining) instead of giving you weapons. All cannon shots deal increased damage. The only way to restore shield energy in this mode is to pick up the Recharge pickup (scattered around the arena).

Each base has three power generators that need to be destroyed by shooting them or ramming them. Those power generators power an invincible force field that makes the base invunerable to all damage. Once all three power generators are destroyed, you can then proceed to damage the base by shooting at it. Each base has 1000 shield energy (Helios power shielding), and cannon fire from either team will damage it if it gets hit. However, you can bring the shield back online by repairing the power generators (by stopping near or on the destroyed power generator). You need to repair two power generators to get the shield back?

The game ends when one team's base runs out of shield energy and their base is destroyed. The winner is the team with the surviving base.

Comments?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

First, it wouldn't really work on any type of circuit, even São Paulo, so then a new area would have to be modeled. Second, it doesn't fit a racing game, it's basically just a point A to point B scramble, stopping to shoot in the process. Keep in mind what has been stressed in this game: flowing game modes with constant forward motion, not vehicular arena death matches. Try to work on modes more like race/eliminator hybrid modes with tactical twists, and not too many extra features (like new models) to have to include.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike458 View Post
    Nice game modes that you've created! However, I think that many of them are too Eliminator-esque, as that doesn't fit with the storyline of the ARC 150.
    You consider Mutators (settings which can be applied to any mode) and Handicap Races as being eliminator-esque? That's not what I had in mind. Speaking of which, the mutators I listed are just examples, if they were to be implemented then they could be literally anything.

Thank you for your honesty however, I appreciate it.
    @Amaroq - I too hope that we will have single race modifiers that will allow you to tweak weapon usage and maybe some other, more standard options, but that will all be decided the closer we get to completion. As to Handicap Race, I'm not a huge fan of this mode as it destroys the element of ship choice if everything is changed, and wouldn't make too much sense for a competitive league. Flagrun is interesting though, I don't know if it has been proposed yet or not, but it ties in with the time bomb idea, just kind of the opposite, so good thought there. We have also discussed a Marked Man type event which is similar to a standardized Juggernaut mode, so there is a chance for inclusion there.
    Thanks for the feedback. Flagrun is actually an idea I had for a long time; Back when I first started playing WipEout HD, I had an idea for a capture-the-flag type mode, and when I heard 2048 was in development I sent an email to Studio Liverpool requesting some features, Flagrun being among them. Sadly, it never made it in...

As for Handicap race, the changes to stats could be minor, and would only kick in if you were doing really poorly or really well. And after giving it some thought, I felt it would be way better as a mutator than an actual mode. Eh, I guess it wouldn't be worth the effort in the end, in terms of the developer-effort/player-enjoyment ratio.
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 26th January 2014 at 05:48 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Well I'm glad people are here thinking about SSGX, and especially people who can take constructive criticism well. Flagrun interests me, I'm definitely not writing it off yet.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Like a newb, I responded to the wrong post... I can't believe I didn't realize it until now...

I had a kinda-idea earlier... A sandbox mode. Imagine something sorta like the GMod of AG Raciing.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

A sandbox? Sounds like fun. Lemme see what I can put together to make it happen

Timezone
    GMT -6

----- REDACTEDa-----
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 1st February 2014 at 07:45 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

I actually don't like the idea; a race about "beating the hell out of everybody with balls" is not really, er, logical, and it also doesn't fit the style of the game as far as not having 'dumb-fire shoot-em-up modes.' I'm not saying we won't have violent modes, I'm just saying that they will likely have a tactical twist instead of the bull-headed "beat the hell out of everybody" mentality. So overall, too violent, would be too much work, etc. If you're going to think of modes, try to make them somewhat standardized similar to the modes we are familiar with in AG racing with different, yet logical tactical twists.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Aww... But my brother was really fond of that one. I was gonna call it Catch because of the gravity manipulation and everything...

Fine, I'll try something else.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Storywise, SSGX happens after the Temtech Disaster. To keep things solid and logical, you would now expect race modes with few to zero violence. Think of something with tactics, something that maybe doesn't involve weapons at all, and sure as hell no new weapons!

Timezone
    GMT -6

Okay, okay, I'll play by your rules. It was supposed to be a virtual mode though.

----- EDIT -----

Marathon
    Marathon functions like a cross between a normal race and a speed lap; everyone has infinite health and gets a free turbo on each lap. However, there is a twist: The objective is not to complete a set number of laps before everyone else does, but to see how many laps you can complete before a set time expires. Also, acceleration is automatic, and the "Thruster" button is changed to a "Both-Airbrakes" button, which behaves similarly to the "single-airbrake" control schemes of Pure and Pulse (and the "Racer" control scheme of 2048.)

Whoever completes the most laps before time expires wins the Marathon.
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 1st February 2014 at 08:11 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

I think Endurance races pretty well cover the lengthy race area in SSGX.

Timezone
    GMT -3
    PSN ID
    BrunoGatts

Well, inspired on the non-weapon mode, we could make a mode resembling F-Zero: No weapons at all, only turbo pads and falling off the track would lend to an automatic retirement. Oh, and speed wise it's a Gamma-only mode.

I really don't know if this would fit, but imo it would give the players a tough time keeping the ship all time on tracks, since they're way narrower than F-Zero's tracks.

How about special goals for a certain event, such as try to win without using any boost pads, or without using any weapons?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Those things come with special key events during the campaign

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    pp-123

New game mode: Obstacle Run!

If a track like Temtesh Bay (the caves section) is included in this game, then this game mode could be applied there. Basically, it is a point to point time trial (randomized every race), with a twist. There would be several AI ships trying to activate obstacles to screw you over, and you have to dodge obstacles that can destroy your ship or severely damage it. AI ships can also come in the form of attackers, where the ships are like the Power Swarm drones (from EG-r's superweapon) with small cannons on them. You can ram to destroy these ships attacking your ship, and you can regain some shield energy by destroying these ships. You cannot regain shield energy any other way. Once your ship crosses the line, you will now be on the side of the attackers (activating obstacles by flying to switches to activate obstacles) while an AI ship (your rival) attempts to complete the same course. The ship that either went the farthest or the ship that finished in the quicker time wins.

Sorry for the bad explanation, couldn't explain it better.

P.S: I'M BACK.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Hehe, ok. Let me get one thing straight here:
    At the moment we are not in a desperate seek of a new game mode. You guys can of course post some ideas that you had but try to relate it to existing things in SSGX. Or keep the concept simple and fun. You guys remember the Skyscraper mode of "Destruction Derby RAW"? This was a very simple yet great mode to have some fun in between of serious campaign races. It would be good if a new game mode does not contain completely new weapons and mechanics but rather use what is already there. "Fatal Inertia" has the Magnet Mayhem mode... Basically a weapon pad to spawn only one certain weapon.
    Of course, a new game mode can be close to existing modes, it can also be totally different visually [like Zone in WipEout] or it can have another goal than completing laps. I for example once had the idea of a game mode where the ships are in an area. Everybody who leaves the area looses. And there are weapon pads that only spawn Impulses... Of course this is just a very flat concept and there is no need to develop on it, but to give you some idea of what we are looking for.