Thread: Map Editor ?

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Luedism

Cool Map Editor ?

Last I heard, Studio Liverpool was still shut down. Ive not heard anything about SONY planning to resurrect it either.
    That makes me really sad since this game has always been one of my absolute favorites of all time.
    Because of this we are left with the tracks provided with the game & thats it. No matter how awesome anything is, repetition becomes monotony. I still havent mastered Phantom, so I still have many hours of challenge to go.

But then something came to mind a few weeks ago ..... Map Editor !
    Back in the day (way back) when I played Counterstrike on the PC, I was always finding new maps to play in.
    These maps were created by the players, not the developer.
    Before anyone says "Thats a PC thing & we play on PSN" or "SONY isnt Valve", Im aware of that, but still.....
    Wouldnt it be wonderful if SONY perhaps released a Map Editor as an add-on or maybe an App or something like that?

I assume that the tracks we do have were vetted over a very long quality control process, since the physics of the game gell so properly, the turns, the way the ships corner, all that stuff needs to be accounted for in a very strict manner or the game would lose its perfection.
    However with the right people involved, Id suggeset SONY brings in veteran ace pilots, along with code monkeys that also understand the basic physics required to make things click, if they were thoughful in developing a map editor, I believe they could produce something that would be worthy to stand next to the current set of tracks in place.

So the reason for this post is to ask if anyone else has thought of this, and to ask for everyones comments on the idea.
    Also - is there any word out there regarding SONY's plans to reopen Studio Liverpool, or to continue developing our beloved WipeOut with some other company?

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to post.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Hello Luedism and welcome to the forums! First off, you nailed the problem with the editor on the head here: there is A LOT of work that goes into each corner of a track, let alone the whole thing and scenery. Sony would have to recruit a team to make new circuits, and then there still wouldn't really be an editor. Also, with the shutdown of SL, this is highly unlikely, although it would be cool. I just wish they had got to finish whatever they were working on before the shutdown, maybe WipEout 2025?

http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/ne...celled#slide=1

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

Having modded myself in the past, a level editor is very unlikely to come 4 years after the game came out, let alone with SL no longer being here =/

Creating a track isn't that hard though, it's as simple as using a loft along a spline in 3DS max from a shape (being the track with or without edges), UVs can be created for it just fine as well and adjusting the curves is just a matter of changing the Bezier handles , if that was all chinese for you, then nvm ^^
    The hard part about the level design was just the level design itself, placing props, filling up the empty space around the track

oh and welcome to the forums ^^

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

I for myself always hated games with track editors. It gives away the challenge to master a certain track. It's like "If a track is too difficult, well then I will create my own or pick a track from some database".... And that kills the fascination of mastering given tracks. For example, I have an old racing game [Megarace 2] which only had 6 tracks [3 per CD, lol]. The game is from 1996 but it never got boring for me because the track design of the original tracks is just well done [for that time] and it feels always refreshing to me.

Of course, there are games where a track/map editor is an essential element of the game. These are games like TrackMania or Portal2 - but games like these are more or less made for that exactly purpose to create maps and challenge yourself and other people with it.

PSN ID
    DIXI200

Hello Luedism gives me pleasure to see you on the forum, welcome

My adventure with WO hdfury started late about 5 months ago. The news now is that I read everything I could end .. I can always play with the game, the fear that there will be no online mode.
    But I have not found all bad news , I also found a community full of passion for this game, and this is the only thing that can give a future to Wipeout or something like that.
    Perhaps many voices can be heard louder.

I do not know what makes a company decide whether to continue a game .. ( Cash only ? ) WO continues to talk about after so many years this could be an incentive for the Sony confidence that the game has some Fans ... perhaps we are not so many ? Perhaps at this moment does not want to invest , but in the future a new WO could be a nice game for the PS4 launch even more .
    One of my curiosity any of you know in terms of money and time how much it costs to make a game like WOhdfury ?