Thread: Elite Tournament Strategies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -5

Default Elite Tournament Strategies

I've had Wipeout HD/Fury sitting on my PS3 ever since the Welcome Back package, but only got around to giving it a proper go late last month. Ended up really loving the game and being impressed by all of the crazy sideshifting, nose pitching and barrel rolling that I've sifted through on youtube, the likes of which requires one to think outside the box. Of course, I haven't had a great deal of time to practice, but I did devote the last few weeks to trying to Platinum the game. So far, I've beat Zico, got most of the sp bronze trophies out of the way and am one elite gold away from Elite Campaign Legend.

The problem is, the AI is ruthless. In a single race, I could restart whenever I felt that I couldn't catch up. In the Meltdown tournament, I obviously cannot restart any given race (except for the first) without having to do the preceding races again. I am wondering how people approached this particular event. Do you try to ignore the AI and have the best possible racing line? Or do you prefer weapon pads over speed? Barrel Roll at every possible opportunity and absorb the weapon pickups? Restart every time you're eliminated? I know I could manage a bronze or silver at the very least if I somehow manage to survive every track, but surviving is an art in itself with the Elite AI.

Compounding the difficulty is of course, an AI with double standards. Hit them with a weapon and they recover far quicker than you, sometimes getting in your way when you try to pass them, resulting in you bonking them further ahead of you. If they hit you with a weapon, you often go sideways/backwards and take a long time to reach full speed again. The best example of this injustice is when you're ahead of most of them and get hit by a quake, and are then passed by the rest of the AI even though you should be ahead in theory since they got hit by the exact same weapon. You may be first and then all of a sudden 8th because of their weapons. Get too close and you're shred to bits. Stay too far back and you won't have enough time to catch up.

Here's my strategy, but it's not working out atm:

-Do as many BR's and weapon absorbs as possible on Vineta K (2 BR's, 3 /w boost), Anulpha Pass (1 BR off ramp) and Metropia (BR /w boost using that incline in the beginning).
    -Try to hit every speed pad on Sol 2, don't bother with trying BR's (I have a lot of difficulty pulling off even one here)
    -Hit all the speed pads that you can and absorb after the 2 natural BR opportunities on Chenghou Project. Watch out for that sharp left in the beginning, in which I always lose precious seconds.
    -1 BR on Sebenco in the beginning, try to do the rest conservatively.
    -Hit every speed pad and weapon pad on Moa Therma. Straightforward.
    -Save boost for large hill before finish line of Ubermall. BR on hill in the middle.

I suppose a lot of it is just practice and execution, but perhaps there's a better way to run one track or the other. I know that I'm missing out on plenty of BR's, but I also don't know of too many that I'm not already doing. There are about 3 others on Sebenco that I can think of (1 involving that little incline before the S-shaped passage) and 1 on Moa Therma that's a pain to pull off. I feel like if I keep running through this stupid tournament over and over again, I'll eventually get the Gold, but on that same token, why not take the time to improve each track as much as possible to increase my chances of doing it sooner rather than later?
    Last edited by Fleshcrawl; 20th September 2013 at 09:37 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

hey, welcome to this great forum.

my advice: speed lap + time trial! after a few hundred laps/track you'll be good enough to easily beat the AI. whilst in speed lap, try to explore every boost location you can think of (you can get your boost back by holding L1 for 2sec, but that will invalidate your current lap).

it's smart to race very conservative against the elite AI.

edit: 1 example of beating elite AI on chenghou
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o8F7YV6M1k
    Last edited by JFthebestJan; 20th September 2013 at 10:59 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Ah, yes. Of course. I figured I had enough speed lap/time trial practice while actually getting the golds for Meltdown. I did however do extra speed laps for Chenghou. I still can't get that first left corner. The rest of the track seems very simple, though I am wondering, in the video you provided, the nose is kept up during the circular left turn that follows not long after the sharp left turn in the beginning. Doesn't it help to keep the nose down to get some extra speed?

Anyways, took your advice and played it about as conservatively as I could. Got 1st in the first three tracks easily, 7th not surprisingly in Chenghou because of that one turn, 3rd in Metropia, 4th in Sebenco, 7th in Ubermall (this has that one sharp turn leading up to the long incline which, like Chenghou, kills me most times), and 1st in Sol 2. First medal and it's a gold. Great. Elite Campaign Legend was a lot easier than I expected still. I hear a lot about how difficult it is, but I had a lot more difficulty with Beat Zico because I could either never get a good enough racing line with 3 boosts or an okay racing line with that 4th boost onto the overpass.

I am wondering, JfthebestJan, how is it that you managed to get under 26 seconds on Anulpha Pass, Venom with the Piranha? I am thinking of trying some of the wackier BR's, improving my Zico time, improving speed lap times aside from this one.

I found this video, but am having trouble actually pulling off the BRs he does at 0:23 and 0:59

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJIqaSiEoLg

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

+1 to Jan's post.
    Once you're comfortable with the track, just ignore the AI completely for the first couple of laps, and go easy on the barrel rolling. The AI rubber bands so they'll be going as slow/fast as you are and generally firing as much as you are. So once they're going your "slow and easy pace" go balls out the rest of the race. Always use your weapons wisely and you'll be smooth sailing I'm sure Have fun, elite AI's da bomb, okay prep for online tourneys!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Gekko_P

You should (must) check these topics: WipEout HD Videos and Improvement. Plenty of useful guidelines and tips. Also, Hellfire has an awesome set of tutorials and videos of beating Elite AI: plenty of oppurtunities to learn in there.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

As the others have said, the Elite AI rubber bands, so it doesn't matter how well you race the first couple of laps as they will pretty much be all around you anyway.
    You just want to keep your shields up to max, then 2 laps from the end go for it.

I forget the exact speed difference, but either Elhabib or Hellfire did some testing and found the Elite AI are on average around 15-20kmph faster than you at all times, but they do not do BR's, which give you around double that speed difference over a short distance, if you add in the shortening of track difference if you BR over certain areas, it sort of evens up.

Even if you run over every weapon pad, which would normally deny any craft behind you any weapons, the Elite AI always see to have some weapons, so mainly go for the speed pads with whatever weapon pad you can grab that doesn't take you too far off the best racing line.

I found that getting Elite Gold in Campaign needed me to change craft to suit the track quite a bit, I think that's what Studio Liverpool intended to happen, that you need to get good at handling each craft to beat the Elite AI.
    I think the toughest time I had from memory was trying to get Gold on Sebenco at Rapier speed for some reason [it was 4 years ago]

There is definitely still a bit of luck involved in beating the Elite AI in Campaign.

You can use the two player trick to beat them easily in racebox for the Arcade Perfect trophy [something that was discovered well after most of us had done it the hard way ]