Thread: A few questions

Timezone
    GMT -5

Default A few questions

1. Having enjoyed the single player portion of Wipeout, I'm wondering if it's worth getting any other particular Wipeout game? I hear 2048 is a more arcadey version of Wipeout, but I'm still considering that one.

2. Since Studio Liverpool is dissolved, is it safe to presume that we may either never get another Wipeout game on PS4/future consoles or at best, something by another studio that's only a pale imitation of the franchise? Any idea on why Liverpool was shut down in the first place?

3. I'm finding the online quite intimidating. It's also rather dead. However, I'm aware there's obviously a community here that still races, so I was hoping somebody would help me boost the online trophies. I'd have preferred to have experienced the online in its heyday and have gotten them legitimately, but this is what I get for coming to the party 5 years too late.

4. Any idea on when the HD/2048 servers will be shut down? Obviously 2048 came out early last year, but with the shrinking online community, it seems that the future of this franchise is indefinite.
    Last edited by Fleshcrawl; 2nd October 2013 at 11:03 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

You can buy the original Wipeout from the PStore for a under $10 - It's under Classics, and will play on your PS3, PSP and VITA. it's showing it's age, but is of interest if just to see where it all started and how far gaming has come - frustratingly hard to master.

The next two Wipeouts, well 4 really, WO's 2097, Wo3, Wo3 SE all PS1 and Wipeout FUSION PS2 are all only available on disc, and for various reason have never been made available as downloads.
    2097 and Wo3SE are the two to get from this lot, both will play on a PS3, or, as other say is quite a bit better, under emulation software on a PC.

Wipeout's PURE and PULSE were both made for the PSP, PURE has a lot of DLC and PULSE 4 DLC packs, but were/are only available from the Euro/UK PStore.
    You can play them on your lounge TV if you have a late model PSP with video out or PSP GO!, and mate it with a PS3 controller, or, as others have done, using PSP emulation software on a PC.
    Both are still very playable.

Online sort of goes in waves, and depends what time you log on and which days, it varies a lot.
    The regulars are Wipeout players that play virtually nothing else, so that's probably why you feel intimidated, most are friendly forum members and all are typically NOT like your online FPS gamer.

2048 had a quick build and release so it could make the launch for the VITA, and it suffers for it.
    Nobody blames SL for this, as they got shafted shortly afterwards.
    Since Studio Liverpool got closed, nobody can fix what doesn't work.
    Why they got closed? Well SL was told that racing games sales run in cycles, and around the time that they were making FURY, were told there would be no more Wipeout for the foreseeable future, then Sony changed it's mind and got SL to rush and make 2048 for the VITA launch [it's rumored that they were also working on a full console version of a new wipeout, but if that is true, who knows, or if if any of that work ever sees the light of day ???]
    Since basically all SL's eggs were in one basket, Sony decision to not make any new racing games pulled the rug out from under them.

As for how long will the 2048 servers stay up
    I suppose it depends if and when VITA TV reaches western shores, as the prospect of being able to play 2048 on a TV like a PS3/4 with a controller seems very attractive to most around here, and I think would certainly cause a spike in 2048 sales, which would certainly give reason to NOT close the servers down.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KronicReaper88

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    You can buy the original Wipeout from the PStore for a under $10 - It's under Classics, and will play on your PS3, PSP and VITA. it's showing it's age, but is of interest if just to see where it all started and how far gaming has come - frustratingly hard to master.

The next two Wipeouts, well 4 really, WO's 2097, Wo3, Wo3 SE all PS1 and Wipeout FUSION PS2 are all only available on disc, and for various reason have never been made available as downloads.
    2097 and Wo3SE are the two to get from this lot, both will play on a PS3, or, as other say is quite a bit better, under emulation software on a PC.

Wipeout's PURE and PULSE were both made for the PSP, PURE has a lot of DLC and PULSE 4 DLC packs, but were/are only available from the Euro/UK PStore.
    You can play them on your lounge TV if you have a late model PSP with video out or PSP GO!, and mate it with a PS3 controller, or, as others have done, using PSP emulation software on a PC.

Online sort of goes in waves, and depends what time you log on and which days, it varies a lot.
    The regulars are Wipeout players that play virtually nothing else, so that's probably why you feel intimidated, most are friendly forum members and all are typically NOT like your online FPS gamer.

2048 had a quick build and release so it could make the launch for the VITA, and it suffers for it.
    Why they got closed? Well SL was told that racing games sales run in cycles, and around the time that they were making FURY, were told there would be no more Wipeout for the foreseeable future, then Sony changed it's mind and got SL to rush and make 2048 for the VITA launch [it's rumored that they were also working on a full console version of a new wipeout, but if that is true, who knows, or if if any of that work ever sees the light of day ???]
    Since basically all SL's eggs were in one basket, Sony decision to not make any new racing games pulled the rug out from under them.

I suppose it depends if and when VITA TV reaches western shores, as the prospect of being able to play 2048 on a TV like a PS3/4 with a controller seems very attractive to most around here, and I think would certainly cause a spike in 2048 sales, which would certainly give reason to NOT close the servers down.
    I agree with you blackwiggle take a look at the F-Zero series form Nintendo and Extreme G series from Acclaim Entertainment, they were great futuristic racing games until Acclaim Entertainment was shut down in 2004 and F-Zero might be in the same boat as Wipeout and the Extreme G series one day. One good thing is this mate, we have people who played these classic futuristic racing games that like to play these kind of games. The one thing I like about the Extreme G and the Wipeout games is the great dance music that makes me happy and listening to it some more if I have a custom mix on Wipeout HD Fury if I have custom good dance music to listen too.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you blackwiggle take a look at the F-Zero series form Nintendo and Extreme G series from Acclaim Entertainment, they were great futuristic racing games until Acclaim Entertainment was shut down in 2004 and F-Zero might be in the same boat as Wipeout and the Extreme G series one day. One good thing is this mate, we have people who played these classic futuristic racing games that like to play these kind of games. The one thing I like about the Extreme G and the Wipeout games is the great dance music that makes me happy and listening to it some more if I have a custom mix on Wipeout HD Fury if I have custom good dance music to listen too.

- - - Updated - - -

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Exclamation

I realize I'm not a moderator but I have to remind you, KronicReaper, of the two golden rules of posting in this forum:

The two golden rules you must follow are:

- Never quote the post directly above yours unless it's a long post and you're only quoting part of it.

- Never post images above 50k in size unless you're using the attachment manager.

Only the first one applies to you. Not trying to be judgemental here, justy trying to clear things up, no hard feelings.
    Last edited by DDD113; 3rd October 2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Slight Typo

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KronicReaper88

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I should say, after further recent playings, Wipeout Fusion isn't really a bad game, it's just not as good as the versions that came before it or after it.
    It's considered the orphan of the WO series, I think it's the extreme length of the third iteration of each track that irritated most, and a few annoying bugs.

This is one PS2 title that should get the HD/3D remastering treatment, but somehow I don't think Sony has even considered it.

Pity, as I know how good it might look if it were to be remastered, I run my PS2 with component video out cable to a surround amp with on board video upscaling, that outputs at 1080p, which makes it look very smooth, and can also play in 3D using my Sony TV's 3D processing, which doesn't suffer the ghosting problems HD/FURY have when played in 3D or the control lag.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

I agree, just got back into playing Fusion myself. Not bad by any means, just needs a little bit of help, which a makeover could do. It had some good concepts (16 ships per race, super weapons, gravity manipulation, skillcuts, etc.) some of which were brought back, but many were lost in the "Standardization Era" of Pure-HD. Super weapons would need to be toned down a little for a modern WipEout, though.