Thread: Just won my first race against the Phantom Elite AI!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PSN ID
    Quickbeamtheent

Default Just won my first race against the Phantom Elite AI!

Yeah, yeah, I know, you're all thinking lol nEWb but still it was an absolutely thrilling moment for me. First it was Vineta K, then before I knew it I had also managed to get first place on Moa Therma, Chengdou Project, and Sol 2. Getting more and more attached to HD AG systems every moment

One thing I've noticed about Phantom class is that, MUCH more so than the other classes, I am very liable to blow up before I even get to the fourth lap, yet I feel like I can make more mistakes (slam into more walls, etc.) and still make my plodding way up to 1st place (relative to the elite AI on Venom class, where I feel like it's one mistake and I'm toast). Probably because of the extra lap but, well, I dunno . . . Is the AI a bit more forgiving of error on Phantom class??

Somewhere called London which you won't have heard of
    PSN ID
    B10H4Z4RD_B0Y

nEWb? Not to me. I can barely beat Elite AI anywhere currently. Although the lower speed classes, as you said one mistake basically kills you off the race unless you get 2 turbos or something. The few Phantom races I played most of the time resulted in me blowing myself up spectacularly by crashing into a wall and me actually getting 1st place. Although that was skilled. Anyway... I think the AI may be a bit more forgiving in higher speed classes in my experience... who knows?

Well I was pretty mad the other day when I couldn't beat the Elite AI in Flash... What a n00b I am. Somehow I survive online and manage not to get last half the time.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zzonkmiles

Beating Elite AI on Venom class is really tough because it often depends on the powerups you receive. If you're in 6th and all you're getting are leech beams and shields or mines, it's hard to gain ground. Meanwhile, items in 1st can be just as messy. Plasmas and quakes are not very useful if you're in the lead! But congrats on beating Elite Phantom!

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Keep it up quickbeam. Regarding the elite AI, it's often beneficial to have a fairly poor start against them, then improve as the race proceeds, due to the rubberbanding efffect. This is what you may be experiencing if you crash a fair bit early in a race, then pull it together towards the end.

PSN ID
    Quickbeamtheent

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Keep it up quickbeam. Regarding the elite AI, it's often beneficial to have a fairly poor start against them, then improve as the race proceeds, due to the rubberbanding efffect. This is what you may be experiencing if you crash a fair bit early in a race, then pull it together towards the end.
    What do you mean by "rubberbanding effect"? Do the elite AI scale their performance based on how well or poorly the player is performing?

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

They do indeed. If you blaze out in front they'll be hot on your tail all race. Hang back a bit at the start and you'll find it easier to catch them later in the race provided you leave yourself enough time to do so. To illustrate this, I have a video on my channel showing me beating the Elite AI on Modesto Heights after giving them a whole lap headstart. Obviously not recommended if you're a beginner, but it does illustrate the effect