Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, D-pad or analog stick?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Read the posts from this page onwards about getting a NegCon to work with HD/FURY.
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...be-done/page17

I always use the D-Pad because that's what I've always played Wipeout with, and the fact that I can't control the craft as well with the stick, let alone do a BR with it.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

D-pad: WipEout 1, 2097, Wip3out, Fusion
    Analog Stick: Pulse, HD/Fury, 2048
    For pure, I cant find what's best, so I find myself switching from both most of the time.

I don't get why people find it so hard to use the analog stick?
    Last edited by TheConzio; 2nd June 2013 at 01:45 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I use the D-pad for steering and pitch. I tried the stick, but I just don't get it. I never held it half way or used it any different than the D-pad so all it did was make me turn slightly too late and ruin my Zone runs. Oddly though, I use the L2/R2 buttons instead of L1/R1 for airbreaks.

I really wish there was a third button just for side-shifting. It takes /way/ too long to double-tap airbreaks..

amplificated: It sounds like your controller's defective. Under the D-pad's actually an analog stick that the buttons push around. Judging by your symptoms it seems to be mis-aligned. Do you have a second controller you can try with?

Somewhere called London which you won't have heard of
    PSN ID
    B10H4Z4RD_B0Y

I'm just used to using the D-pad. I started playing with the D-pad and it's so difficult to switch to the analog stick. I don't feel in control with the analog stick.

So that's why I find it hard, I never use it.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Quote Originally Posted by Nofew View Post
    amplificated: It sounds like your controller's defective. Under the D-pad's actually an analog stick that the buttons push around. Judging by your symptoms it seems to be mis-aligned. Do you have a second controller you can try with?
    I highly doubt it. I have two control pads that function identically in this regard.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zzonkmiles

I use the D-pad for general steering, but I quickly switch to the analog stick for barrel rolls. I guess my fingers are faster with the analog stick than they are with the D-pad when attempting barrel rolls. And if I play zone, I use my right hand to control the left analog stick because I don't need to press the X button. Weird, I know. But it works for me.

PSN ID
    IXxNOCTURNALxXI

Has to be analog for me. It feels more fluent and I find it a hell of a lot easier to barrel roll using the analog stick than the directional pad

Timezone
    GMT + 1

D-pad. I don't like analog sticks.

@IXxNOCTURNALxXI : Yes, i think you are right about barrel rolling with analog stick. But maybe keeping a good line, like when you have to do a double br, is harder?
    If peoples who mastered analog sticks and tried d-pad too could answer this, it could be interesting to know.

PSN ID
    IXxNOCTURNALxXI

It depends really mate, I used to use the directional pad and found it okay but I found it harder to do barrel rolls then as soon as I started using the analog stick I could race a lot better I know its obvious me saying this but go with what feels better for you haha

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Greevb

For the classics like WipEout, WipEout 3, and WipEout XL I use the D-Pad without a doubt. Also on the PSP versions WipEout Pure and Pulse for the most part I use the D-Pad. Though when playing HD/Fury I usually use the analogue stick and then occasionally use the D-Pad for a barrel roll. Curious to see how the upgraded dual analogue sticks are on the PSVita when I pick that up and a copy of WipEout 2048. I just couldn't stand the short nubby stick on the PSP, but the new analogue looks more precise on the Vita.