Thread: A twelfth weapon?

Default A twelfth weapon?

Hello everybody,

I just extracted some svg from the TDR's website (when it was still working), but I stumbled upon a weapon's logo I never saw before. I checked my manual and there is only eleven weapons!
    Here is it, has anyone ever heard about it?logo.png

Well, it looks like the plasma bolt but obviously it isn't. My guess is that it may have been a weapon they tried to introduce but didn't make it because of balancing issues (too overpowered) or technical reasons (ruin the game performance) or something like that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I once wrote a thread about a hidden .wav sound file in the game files that was called 'flametra' or something... I thought it was a hidden or deleted weapon, but now I'm sure it existed.
    The thing has finally got an image! (I just ask myself why they deleted this but kept other useless stuff like the reflector)

Timezone
    GMT -6

I think the weapon might actually have been the Turbo, with "FLAMETRA.WAV" possibly being short for "Flame Trail" (gotta love 8.3 filenames, though I'd have written FLMTRAIL.WAV)

The Turbo isn't in Wip3out because of the Hyperthrust, though it would've been awesome to see them both in the same game.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

God, I haven't seen that icon in years.
    Not entirely sure, who explained it, or when the explanation was posted, but from what I remember, somebody explained that it was supposed to be a skateboard like "Death Wobble" pick up, where if you got it and used it, you would get a huge turbo, but your crafts rear would fishtail about rapidly.
    Basically making it deadly if any air brakes were used while it was engaged.

Don't take that as Gospel though, as I think there might have been a second explanation as to what it was, posted well after the original....sort of like this post re emerging 3.5 years after the original.
    Possibly a entry ICON into a recharge side track, as the first 4 WO's
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 8th November 2016 at 09:05 AM.

PSN ID
    madwiperII

Wow. My first post in a few years!

I remember this well...
    It's a removed, or incomplete weapon called 'flametrail'. The icon could be found on the designers republic website, when it was still up and running.

From what I remember, it was intended to lay down a stream of fire, or flaming napalm behind the craft. I think the sound effect .wav file was actually titled napalm.
    I vaguely remember someone stating that the weapon was too similar in function to mines, so the decision was made to remove it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM_DmEXPFww This is a link to a video showing that with some kind of editing or RAM modification in an emulator, the icon can be loaded, and indeed the letters 'FT' appear next to the icon, supporting my claim of it being called a flametrail. However, the weapon is not seen used, as I doubt the programming for textures for it were kept in the game to save space on those old 700mb CDs.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Carcide_027

You can download the Wipeout 3 SE audio files from the Downloads section on wipeoutzone.there's some useful stuff here on the site.