Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What are your dream ideas for WipEout.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Why always customisation? It's a professional racing league, not a tuner meet.
    Although I wonder what a craft's "setup" would be...
    Maybe "airbrake opening lock", limiting the angle the airbrakes get opened, for faster tracks...

What a future WipEout could need, is more depth, background.

A Story mode. Where the pilots and teams organize a world tournament (like in Tekken, Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter), racing in clearly-defined Earth nations/other planets.

Otherwise, it just feels like a bland racing game. HD/Fury filled that hole with great graphics and gameplay, but a new episode would need an entertaining background.

And the WipEout universe & history would be easy to build on.

Edit: this Story mode could even host an Overworld, with interaction features & secrets.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

A story mode would be great, or at least more depth into the games, like Fusion had, or the original WipEout.

Possibly an underground circuit O.o

Temtesh Bay Course 2 from WipEout Fusion did that and the less said about THAT course the better.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

I would see the removal of weapon pads from the game and the rng luck based aspect of the game along with it.

You can't do that. It's WipEout, dude.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

I wouldn't remove weapons completely, just the luck based aspect. Luck is the last thing you want to be in your competitive video game.

So no weapon pads and non random weapons?

Like in Mario Kart? So if you're last you'll just have Quakes and Boosters?

I call lame

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

Oh god no. Mario Kart is even worse. It's still random but with rubber-banding (better weapons in last) shoved in there to make things even more stupid. That's even less competitive than WipEout's luck all by itself.

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...tem-in-WipEout

There is no weapon "pick-up" mechanic at all. Instead craft have a predetermined ammo supply that can be used at any time, but can run out if over used. This eliminates the luck aspect of the game and adds a new element of depth to races. Strategy, trigger discipline, mind games, and split second responses to foes are things that would be added/amplified with this kind of new combat system. And most importantly: it's competitive, fair, and intricate.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

to make online games fair, there has to be a working (read lag-free) netcode in the first place. starting a race from pole-position with a nearly unbeatable EG-X, but losing to an ICARAS which starts from 2nd place or below, isn't exactly what i would call lag-free. there's even lag, when i race in a private room vs. myself on my second PS3, when both PS3s using the same network. my secondary 60GB unit starts always 0.1seconds in front of my primary slim PS3, no matter which unit is host. as long as such problems aren't solved, a game cannot be a fair competition at all.

obviously there's other things that could be considered not fair, but imho the netcode is the ONE thing that makes or breaks an online experience. it's possible to exclude the so called luck factor by simply disabling the weapons, but you can't do anything against lag. if you have it, you're screwed.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

I agree that lag is terrible for the online experience. I'm coming from a gameplay standpoint rather than a technical one. If lag could be eliminated then things would obviously improve instantly, but the game itself is flawed in its design as far as considering it 'fair'. I mean... "Oh look! I got like six turbos and five bombs while my opponent gets a bunch of useless cannons and auto pilots! Look how skilled I am! Luck had nothing to do with it!" That's stupid.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

Lag isn't exactly that significant in this game time-wise, your race time is calculated locally and then compared to the others at the very end, making it quite fair to be honest, you can race with a 10 second lag start and finish last on screen, but you'll jump 10 seconds ahead at the end because the locally calculated time doesn't experience lag, it's more a visual representation really
    The only problem you get with it is weapon pickups and pushing, although if you're lagging badly, pushing won't be an issue as you'll probably be ghosted, but for pickups it does matter yes, agreed, lag will always be an issue though, be it a provider thing or a netcode thing, boosting the netcode update interval means degrading performance and possibly losing your 60fps smooth racing experience, and there will sitll be lag with the ones who have $hitty internet, amking it all pointless

If there's one thing i could dream about it's another expansion pack for the game, some extra tracks to race on and stuff

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

Also, ping is almost always the main cause of lag.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    ...but for pickups it does matter yes, agreed, lag will always be an issue though...
    that is exactly the big problem im talking about. a ten seconds lag isn't as bad as a 0.1 lag, because you'll loose the first pickup. that's where the netcode decides who'll win. when i get the first pickup, my chances to win are nearly at 90%+. my internet connection is pretty fast, it shouldn't matter anyway, cause a few KB/s upload/download should be doable for every device connected to the internet, especially in the year 2015! but somehow it's clearly not possible. so there's no fairness involved at all, when playing online. everyone who has been a guest on our german autobahn, knows the elephant racing trucks which are blocking all the cars. it's a nice metaphor to the internet situation. separate 'lanes' would be a solution to this awful status quo. remove either the cars or the trucks and you wouldn't face a slowing down effect anymore. same would apply for internet.

everyone talks net-neutrality of data, but it's clearly not neutral, that's the fault.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

Have you done a ping test before? It's not really the internet speed that matters, it's the connection to your provider and despite having local hosts as an option, it's not really a pure local host, information still has to travel to the PSN server and back (i don't know where those are located though), signal travel time is the most important (ping basically) and can vary widely depending on distance to provider server, cable traffic and simply provider processing speed

Cipher
    Last edited by Cipher; 13th August 2015 at 06:56 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

ping test with PS3? how would you do that? using it's browser?

edit: PS3 browser doesn't support java, so the test isn't accurate i would say
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JFthebestJan; 13th August 2015 at 06:57 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

With your computer using the same cable (or wifi, whichever you use) that your ps3 is hooked up with
    I doubt the PS3 browser has the plug-ins needed to run a ping test

Whether it's your ps3 or the compy doing the ping test doesn't really mater, pretty sure the ps3's network "card" is equivalent to most computers and probably won't have much (if any) of an influence

EDIT: 69 is pretty high o_O (hehe that number, time to be immature and giggle like a little girl ), still not too incredibly wonky though (i've got a 31ms ping (used to have 8ms at my previous residence))
    Packet loss you shouldn't worry about as it's probably the ps3s firewall blocking it (or router firewall)
    Still 69 should still be fine and dandy :/

Cipher
    Last edited by Cipher; 13th August 2015 at 07:08 PM.

My dream WipEout would be called WipEout: Ascension. It would be set in 2218, with circuits from Pure, Pulse and the first Wipeout.
    Pure: Pulse: Wip'E"out:
    Anulpha Pass Platinum Rush Korodera
    Sebenco Peak Outpost 7 Silverstream
    Blue Ridge Fort Gale Arridos IV
    Vineta K Moa Therma Karbonis V
    Sincuit De Konstruct Firestar
    Sol 2 Vostok Reef
    Arc Prime
    Vertica

Teams:
    Mirage
    FEISAR
    AG-Systems
    Qirex
    Auricom
    Triakis
    Harimau
    Van-Uber
    Assegai
    Tigron
    Piranha
    EG-X
    Icaras
    Goteki 45

PSN ID
    VacuusVocis

A lot of these suggestions are great. I think my personal dream next-gen WipEout game would be somewhere between several of these:

- 8 completely new tracks
    - A Special Edition pack containing an iconic track from each of the previous titles.
    - The return of Van-Uber (saved from bankruptcy by a generous benefactor)
    - "Career mode" advancement/unlock system based around a full year's racing season and randomised story dramatisation between races.

In terms of ships:
    Each team has two selectable chassis types, based around Speed, Agility or Fighter roles. Plus a Prototype third chassis.
    (I.E Feisar would most likely have an Agility ship and a Fighter ship, plus a unique Proto ship)

Ship upgrade loadouts for each chassis, to either build on the strengths or compensate for the weaknesses. So, engine or weapon strength enhancements, shield boosts and the like.
    Many aspects of this would be optional for most game modes, like a toggle for the cosmetic appearance or stat changes. And multiplayer lobby hosts could force Stock ships.