Thread: How does the DS4 controller fair?

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    CJ4717

Default How does the DS4 controller fair?

I'm happy to tell you it's actually really really good! If you've bought one already and have had time to use it thouroughly then you'll know what I mean when I say nearly all the things about the DS3 have been improved. The grips feel a lot more rubbery (it having a new material and all ), the analog sticks feel a lot more responsive but it's a bit more harder to move so you get a bit of stability, the d-pad isn't too bad and the face buttons are lifted up more so it just feels better when you press 'em. It's kinda like comparing the PSP 1000 and the 3000's face buttons. The triggers feel a bit...odd since I'm not used to the new concave design so it took a little while to get used to. The L1 and R1 were pretty much the same but had a louder clicking noise (which made me feel satisfied every time I pressed them for some reason haha). The Share and Options buttons functioned as SELECT and START on the PS3. Unfortunately I didn't get to test out the touchpad, I thought I could use it in one way or another but nah. Would've been nice though. The controller as a whole felt a lot more sturdier and comfortable to hold. I don't necessarily have large hands so I guess that's why, (that's one reason I dislike the Xbox controllers).

I tried it out on a number of games and all seemed to work well. These included WOHD Fury/Fusion/Wip3out/wipE'out" (like I'd even need to mention those lol), the Batman Arkham games, and GTA IV and V. In regards to WOHD, for the most part I didn't see much of a difference when turning (with and without airbrakes) and pitching. They felt pretty much the same. But things changed when I tried out barrel rolling. DUUUUUDE. It's so much quicker! I remember people talking about something called the "deadzone" with PS3 controllers and that you can only perform controls one after the other after a certain amount of time for it to be processed and input into the PS3, otherwise if done too quickly it would be in the deadzone. I'm not sure if this is what that means but anyway, the BRing is insanely fast and responsive. It's a lot easier to perform them in quick succession because the d-pad buttons are more flatter and in place, meaning that you can do less work to get the inputs in fast enough. As with the other games, well as I said in general all the buttons feel more responsive and 'nicer' to handle and press. Now, since I don't have a long enough USB, I'm not going to be using this as much with HD Fury since I'd have to sit like 1 metre away from my already high up TV so you guys are lucky :3 jk lol, I'm nowhere near as good but just sayin'.

So, if you have gotten a chance to play around with it then share your thoughts here. If you haven't yet, well....find someone who has one and ask them if you could borrow it for a day and test it out!
    Last edited by AGSys; 10th November 2013 at 01:00 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

this thing works with the PS3? O_O
    Might need to get me one of these then, hate when the controller doesn't register my rolls

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    CJ4717

Yup it works with the PS3 and PC! But the downside is that it only works through a USB. I think you can get 3rd party peripherals to make it wireless with the PS3 but I haven't tried it yet.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

i use mine through usb most of the times anyway, since the battery tends to die when i'm having a great race
    Will check it out

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Yeah, thanks for confirming that it works with WOHD, AGSys. I think I'll have to get me one of these, anything for easy speed, right?

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    CJ4717

Yeah totally

Also people are saying GTA V doesn't for some reason work with the DualShock 4. It does though. Although I'll stress I didn't test out all buttons but still, most times it does get recognised by the game and it works with moving around and all. Idk, this might be some rare case.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Had a go with it at Eurogamer on both PC and PS4. It's actually surprisingly comfortable and a major improvement over the DS3. Not sure how the touch pad will work exactly considering its position but I guess that will become clearer when we start seeing games that utilise it.

PSN ID
    Aeralys

To be honest I was a bit disappointed by the PS4 D-Pad when I used it briefly at Eurogamer. The D-pad didn't feel like it would be as responsive or accurate for fighting games at least. As for barrell rolls, I hope it is an improvement! I'm still tempted to pick one up though. Anything to make those low air BR's easier!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I'm glad the reported dead zone has really been fixed, it tended to effect some people more than others [ME, because I think I've only ever been able to manage to do one or two BR's via the sticks ]
    It should also be better for aiming in FPS [which I suck at because of "wandering aim syndrome" ]
    Strange that the controller won't work without a cable.
    I would think that the PS3 will get a system update that will allow the new controller to mate wirelessly, I expect a system update anyway just so all trophy info is both carried on from the PS3 to the PS4, and it will show on all both systems, just like VITA trophies show on the PS3

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Well this is a treat, I had no idea it would be compatible with the PS3. Cheers AGSys

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

JUST HOW compatible is the ps4 Controller? with the PS3?

Only people that have both reply.

How do you get full operative functions with all controls?

PSN ID
    Knux_Chaotix

The only real issues I've found with the DS4 on the PS3 is the lack of motion control, no rumble, the "share" button does nothing and you cannot use the PS button to go back to the home screen. Everything else seems to work fine with it.

Also you can not make use of the deprecated analog buttons (for instance ×◌□∆ aren’t analog anymore) but I doubt it will hurt anyone’s game experience.