Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A celebration of WipEout - hosted by The Average Gamer, Saturday 23rd March, London

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Default A celebration of WipEout - hosted by The Average Gamer, Saturday 23rd March, London

I've been dying to tell you about this for ages now

On Saturday 23rd March, The Average Gamer will be hosting the next of their Gaming Den events in East London. This one though will have a major difference - it will be WipEout focused!

So what can we expect?

• EVERY SINGLE WipEout game ever playable on native hardware
    • WipEout HD Fury on three enormous HD projectors
    • Plus a host of other retro games as well

This promises to be an epic event for any WipEout fan, and we plan to provide a fitting celebration for a series that has had a major influence on us all. I expect if anyone brings their handhelds with them that there will be some local multiplayer madness going on too. Also, while unconfirmed at present, they are hoping to invite down as many members of the WipEout team as they can, both past and present, and also they are trying to see if Tim Wright would be able to provide live music for the event.

However, while this does promise to be one hell of a night, there is unfortunately a very sad note to all of this as well. This will be Ami's final appearance as community manager for WipEout. She has been moved onto Evolution's upcoming PS4 release Driveclub and she will be unable to continue in her role as WipEout community manager as a result of this. So as well as celebrating the series, I would also like the night to be a mark of our appreciation for all that Ami has done for the community, and for us to give her a night to remember it all by. She will of course still remain a member of the community itself, nothing can take that away from her.

So people, please do your best to make it down to London for what promises to be an amazing night. I look forward to seeing some of you there!

Details for the event, including address and timings, can be found on The Average Gamer's site here - http://www.theaveragegamer.com/2013/...peout-edition/

EDIT: Along with a picture of me on the far console getting my arse kicked on Smash Bros Melee
    Last edited by Hellfire_WZ; 5th March 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Azurooth

Damn damn damn, i live in the wrong country. This sounds amazing! I really wish i could be there. I would like to thank Ami for her time spent as an awesome community manager for WipEout, the best!
    (why damn it did i have to be born in Sweden...)

PSN ID
    LJtheZombie/RichardDastardIy

This is more or less on my doorstep, so count me in.

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

I don't believe this! I'm staying in East London all of next week and this event falls on the week after. Typical, as I so would have come to this.

Ahh well, have fun guys and take lots of pics.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Gekko_P

Can't be there, but looks really impressive. Have fun races, guys.

PSN ID
    Knux_Chaotix

Is anyone from Scotland planning to travel down??? Someone please say yes!!! Im looking to split travel costs or accommodation. I seriously want to be there.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

I would love to go but in London?, it`s a bit far from here

But, whoever goes there will have a blast!

stevie

Hi,

To give you a little taster of what to expect on the 23rd March, before our first gaming den last month, I wanted to test out one of the screens, with a bit of WipEout HD...

Attachment 7440

We will have 3 of these screens in the main room, all running HD. I can't wait for you all to see it.
    Personally, it's been quite an adventure for me and WipEout, from first walking into an Electronic Boutique shop in London and buying my first PlayStation game on the 29th Sep 1995, to this very event.
    I've always wanted to play WipEout on the big screen, so here we are

I hope you all enjoy it.

Nick

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by Azurooth View Post
    Damn damn damn, I live in the wrong country.
    This!! Wish I'd have a chance to be there! No doubt that will be one hell of a night.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

As I said to Charlie recently, I'm really sorry but I can't make this. Just bad timing for me I'm afraid, I'm weeks away from getting married, and going down to London on an expensive Wipeout mission is relationship suicide.

It's a great pity because I would love to have been there, and to meet some of you in person. Sorry guys, can't do it. I hope it goes really well, I'm sure it will be a great success. Hats off to the Average gamer for putting it together.

PSN ID
    Aeralys

I am so going, mainly because F-Zero GX is there. Trolololol nah this sounds like a fantastic event! Ill try my best to make it for WipEout carnage and definitely some games of melee. It will be great to finally meet some pilots in person! Hopefully the trains aren't too bad from Bournemouth.

PSN ID
    Bollywood_Bandit

I'm intending to be at this event

Might have to round up some UK based players I'm in touch with, to come along.

Those BIG screens I'm gonna be really happy if I get to have a go racing on one of those

PSN ID
    MENGKESHI

Oh yeah baby, see you there ppl! ACE!!

Might be able to fly over for this...

PSN ID
    Knux_Chaotix

I may well be travelling to London all by myself for this lol. Scared but I dont not want to miss this!!! Trying to convince the other half that it'd be worth skiving work for

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

If anyone is on Facebook, here's the event page. Please join if you're going, it'd be good to see who to expect there - https://www.facebook.com/events/453946658010798/

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    I don't have one at this time.

It would be nice, but, I can't go anywhere. Oh well.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    terakihi

Sounds like heaps of fun, Im sorry to miss it

Hi,

A few more event updates:

We've got Karl Jones, the lead designer of WipEout 2048 and Fury attending the gaming den. Karl has previously worked on WipEout Pure, Pulse and HD during his time at Studio Liverpool. He is now the design director at SawFly Studios.

We've added a SEGA Saturn to the retro room line up so you can all play this version of WipEout too.

Nick

PSN ID
    Aeralys

Grabbing the coach to London tonight; I can't wait for tomorrow! I should arrive at the Gaming Den for around 2:30pm. Has a time been decided for when the tourny starts (I can't find one in the description), I'm gonna need some serious practice.