Thread: Any Super-Slim owners, I think I discovered a bug

Timezone
    GMT -5

Default Any Super-Slim owners, I think I discovered a bug

So I recently upgraded from a launch model to the spiffy new Super-Slim, and now I'm getting skipping music in the menu. This happens when you stay on the menu for a while and loops back to the beginning. I'm in the HD menu, not the Fury menu, so if you have a super-slim go into into game options and change to the HD menu.

Can someone test this for me? All you have to do is leave your Super-Slim in the menu for a while. If it's only me then I'll look into an RMA. But I think it's probably a bug, hopefully not indicative of a serious flaw in the hardware.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Danterich

I´m still on slim model, not superslim, but i also had sound issues since firmware 4.30. First i thought it was a software problem, but recently i switched to a brand new HDD (man a full backup and then restore took me 2 days :/) and now it runs smoothly.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Liod19

Got superslim too and no problems so far with any game, except for more micro freezes on Wipeout, but I guess that's a problem with the game itself, not with the ps3. Also when I leave the game alone in the main menu, it just loads the videos as it always did.

PSN ID
    scarfrogers

I am starting to get mircrofreezes, almost one per game now. I never use to get them so bad so I don't know if it's the game or my PS3/broadband, etc. ? I don't know if there is an easy way to find out...?

Getting pretty annoying though now as when it returns I am always last.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Azurooth

I got the microfreezes as well and i know about a few other that has them too. It started happening to me when i got the superslim (had the fat version earlier) It's weird.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

I don't have the superslim, only the slim.

But, since this last patch I get microfreezes every time a song changes during HD and many other little freezes that very, very, rarely happened before (unless I was racing online, of course that's a whole different story). Very aggravating. I've never noticed it in the menu however.

I have a regular slim as well, I don't play the music, but the game occasionally does not allow inputs to work at very bad times, lap 5 non brs after multiple attempts on the air, this happens way too often, and i bet this is microlag as well. This happens in time trials!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

From what I've been ask to trouble shoot at the Playstation forums for people suffering freezes of some type with the new Superslim, being micro or not.
    It seems this caused by a conflict caused by the latest OS, it happens when it either doesn't known [Can't tell] or If left dormant for some time, which place it should be looking for to load the needed info to be processed, it's between the PS3's RAM and the Ultra slims SSHD.
    Since now both are pretty much the same speed [I say that in comparison to the speed if read off any previous PS3 HD]

If you know how SSHD's work, and what is needed software wise to keep them working at there best, you would know they only work well as write once only drives.
    Then accessing the info written on them is very fast.
    As soon as you try to delete info on a SSHD, then you run into problems.

They don't work the same as disc HD's.

The information stored on SSHD's are written in larger blocks, so if you want to delete info it has to delete many large blocks, leaving masses of little portions of data that needs to be reconfigured back into another large block.
    Do that once or twice with a couple of larger video files on a SSHD and it's pretty much stuffed.

IMHO.
    If you have a ULTRA SLIM PS3
    Just use the disc space available to you to store the OS and FULL downloaded games and game data [Back up Game saved data regularly, as the SSHD's can die on you in a flash]
    All other data should be downloaded to, and streamed from a external USB HD, this includes anything that is either going to become unavailable to you after a certain time [Like downloaded PSN movies] and things that you will most likely view once, or knowingly eventually discard, like Downloaded demos.
    Also things like MUSIC files that get changed around or added to often [Playlist's etc]

Basically any data that might possibly get moved around, changed or deleted should not even be contemplated as being stored on a Super Slim PS3's HD

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

OMG...I'm so glad I advised a friend of mine to get the slim and not the superslim...I didn't know that about SSDs!! Thanks again blackwiggle, you're officially my tech guru btw

Timezone
    GMT -5

Super slims in the US do not have SSD's only the 12GB models in europe do. All 250GB and 500GB models are still hard disks.

Quote Originally Posted by Liod19 View Post
    Got superslim too and no problems so far with any game, except for more micro freezes on Wipeout, but I guess that's a problem with the game itself, not with the ps3. Also when I leave the game alone in the main menu, it just loads the videos as it always did.
    If you're in a submenu, like the multiplayer lobby where you can choose which race to join, then videos won't load. Could you do me a favor and go in one of those menus and hang out for five minutes and let me know what happens?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Liod19

Yes, the music skips a few seconds, but that's what I'd consider one of those microfreezes. Apart from that I just get network error :/

Also blackwiggle, thanks for the enlightenment on SSHDs, that's kinda worrying. I will take good care of it.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I really think Sony has put out the Super Slim without the needed drivers to optimize the SSHD in the base console.

The Micro freezes with the new Ultra slim PS3's, are similar to the bad HDMI implementation that caused huge electrical surge based noises that nearly fried peoples speakers in HT setup's a few years ago.
    They would get a huge crackle make itself known for NO apparent reason, but only if HDMI was used.

It turned out to be a PS3 software issue that eventually got fixed with a system update.

I suspect the micro freezes with the newest console to be a "Less than Ideal" SSHD driver PS3 OS issue.

The more error reports sent back to Sony HQ by these SSHD PS3's, the quicker they will find a fix.

PSN ID
    marcingru

I have superslim PS3 ( i had slim previously 2011) and unfortunetly when using custom OSD i have game micro freeze during track changing , that is SUPER annoying .
    I don't know is that related to new software or just superslim issue ....
    Regards Marcin

Timezone
    GMT -3
    PSN ID
    maurice1405

Yeah, that's normal for the SS. A lot of freezes and bugs on the music

Normally when I play more than 3hs, I have those bugs, but is the firmware, not the console.