Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WOHD post vs pre patch

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Whilst I wouldn't argue that there isn't a difference since 2.51, I'll say this - I spent ages in Racebox before the patch trying to get the best SL / TT etc times that I could, hence nearly 400 records on the rankings site. Now I'm not the fastest player around, but I have put a fair amount of effort into my times.

Anyway, during Omnium, specifically the SL and TT rounds, I've got personal bests on most of the tracks I've attempted, most of them without too much fuss. I've also recently got a number of PBs online, including my first ever top 5 time. So I think unless you're in that top percentile of players (yeldar, Booney et al), there's still a lot of headroom, even with the altered handling.

PSN ID
    Ziz528

Oh god, I've been out of the game for this long? When did this patch happen?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phaeton_pl

My 2 cents:

Anulpha Pass Phantom Speed Lap

Pre patch - 20.06

Post patch - 20.08 (same method, Icaras HD, 12 pads, 6 barrel rolls)

I wasn't playing Wipeout for 18 months and i came back straight with patch 2.51 so i had to learn how to play "from the scratch".
    I don't know, maybe Anulpha Pass isn't the best example and my long break had some influence but i can't feel the difference that much.
    All I can say is that airbrakes are slowing you down more than before and sideshifting is harder to control. I also beat my personal best on Talons Junction Rapier Time Trial after one day of racing that track after the break. I totally agree that differences are track dependent but i dont think it is 0.2 - 0.3 seconds on phantom speed lap.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Hmm. Let me preface this by saying I have no experience with the latest patches.

I would say Anulpha Pass on Phantom possibly relies the least on airbrakes and sideshifting out of all the tracks; other than the SS-BR just after the second tunnel there's only minimal need for it, or it can be countered by its necessity being reduced (e.g., not needing to use it as often or as hard in the first tunnel because its stronger effect requires less use to course correct, so you can maintain more or less the same line and speed because it's such a long corner - this can also be applicable to all the corners on the track). On Talon's Junction the extra loss in speed may even help a bit on that tight penultimate corner, given the rest of the track is not particularly difficult/mostly straights - not to say it particularly helps the overall time, though it's another track that other than that corner requires less than average SS/AB use.

Still, sounds like you've made a really good effort given the circumstances.

Just to repeat, I haven't played in well over a year to date now myself, so I'm merely theorising. The big takeaway for me is that HD is slower and stripped of some of the ballet that I enjoyed.

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Whilst I wouldn't argue that there isn't a difference since 2.51, I'll say this - I spent ages in Racebox before the patch trying to get the best SL / TT etc times that I could, hence nearly 400 records on the rankings site. Now I'm not the fastest player around, but I have put a fair amount of effort into my times.

Anyway, during Omnium, specifically the SL and TT rounds, I've got personal bests on most of the tracks I've attempted, most of them without too much fuss. I've also recently got a number of PBs online, including my first ever top 5 time. So I think unless you're in that top percentile of players (yeldar, Booney et al), there's still a lot of headroom, even with the altered handling.
    I concur with Colonel. I'm faster than I have ever been right now.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    For the most part I would say expect your times (assuming you were approaching your limits before) to be over 1s slower. Anything less than that and it just means you're a better pilot than you were pre-patch .
    Of course, depending on your level pre-patch, the amount each pilot is able to improve relative to the best (possible) times will vary, and as such I those trying to beat a pre-patch Top 5 will have a harder time improving their times than Top 10, etc...

Under the old handling I could beat any PB of mine in TT/SL within about 45 minutes, some being easier than others, naturally. Under the new handling I haven't really come close. Granted not much time was put into it, but it's telling nevertheless.

The more you practice/hone your skills the faster you will be and the closer you will be to the limit. At some point you will have improved to the extent that you 'overtake' your old ghosts under the new handling, meaning you're even better than you would have had to be to beat them before.
    However there is a point at which this will not ring true, depending on how close your old times are to the new limits, at which point the improvement needed in order to overcome the patch is much greater.

PSN ID
    scarfrogers

^ I agree. It is when you are trying to get that 0.1-0.3 extra a second per lap that the patch shows. When trying to crack into the Top 5 this becomes so important, trust me I have tried for hours (prob days, God weeks, hell maybe months in total played) on certain tracks lol

PSN ID
    hoooof

However big the difference it, its clear that there is a difference post patch. Any game with a major part based on leaderboards should never make any changes which affect the leaderboards (except maybe in the first few months after release). Changes either give an advantage or disadvantage post patch. Either ruins the leaderboards.

In this case, what was the point of making the change so many years after release? Its hardly going to attract new players. All it does is damage a major part of the game.