Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: SSGX development - Official Art (large images)

Check the new thread called Fan Contributions in the SSGX forum. This thread will be reserved for stuff that's actually going to appear in the game.
    Last edited by Xpand; 24th October 2013 at 04:44 PM.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

As the new thread title implies, this is for official artwork only. If you wish to contribute ideas yourself, please use the Fan Contributions thread. Anything posted here that is not officially confirmed by the team will be deleted.

Timezone
    GMT + 7

New Hubian concept arts for you. But I admit that I'm a slow(wwwww) worker on this, the motivation sometimes left me.

This is overall look of the new Hubian. Decidedly going for more modern look. Originally it was to be upscaled ancient Chinese garden but picking a beautiful settings IRL and make it bigger didn't fit with the game's futuristic settings. The track is one large platform that sat inside the protection of city dam separating the city of Suzhou and outside water, surrounded by already existing buildings and audience stands.

As you can see the concept is loosely sketched because I'm going to detail several key spot in separate artwork. Like this revamped starting grid:

The starting grid is in a box with glasses on two sides and open roof, two stripes of advertising hologram scrolling above. The path leads pilots into the dreaded Pavilion section. My opinion is that it look sleeks enough to fit in but a bit dull than first concept. I'll need to design more props (Floating Chinese lantern, more billboard space come to mind. Not to mention side railings that are needed in other section) but make sure that each landmark in the track still shine through without getting buried under uniform design element. (Like many tracks that got remade in Wipeout HD. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing though.)
    Last edited by TypeProton; 27th October 2013 at 12:10 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Very great sketches! I'd love to read more textes like these, where you explain some certain sections of the track and go deeper into the details, very nice
    Oh and I like this futuristic touch to it. For me, based on the first sketch, this will be a very clean and bright colored track.

And like I told you before, that big ship with the red wings, that'll probably be very iconic to Hubian. We'll make it sail around

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Yeah, looks fantastic, just a little more detail and props like you said. Maybe some black trim in certain places? I also caution you not to go completely modern, the mixture of old and new is a good thing, like in the Alca Vexus track in WO Fusion (I know Fusion is a bad example, but that track looked good). Anyway, I can't wait for this track to be completed, I think it will be my favorite, just so much style! You guys should definitely make this one a priority.

Edit: You're keeping that 90-90 degree chicane right? I love that part, I hope it will make it! Also, an idea that just came to mind,since the track looks like it's made of something very smooth like metal or slate (correct me if I'm wrong), I think it would be cool if you made condensation on the track from the surrounding water, so the ships leave vapor cloud trails like the dust ones in DC, except they look like water. That would only apply to the outdoor sections that aren't under cover, but it would add a unique and cool aspect to the track.
    Last edited by DDD113; 28th October 2013 at 03:44 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

looks cool, when i see that concept art, i see awesomeness in my head, and for some reason is ee this track as a night track with lots of light FX (those typical asian lamps as welll as those you light a little flame in and they rise up, stuff like that)
    and then lots of tech billboards on old chinese house structures, yup, you made me fantasise , great work

Have yet to play the game (installed it though) but my controller is being a dummy and doesn't want to stay conencted to my system for some reason -_-

Anyways, you guys keep up this great work! love it!

Cipher

Working a bit on the tutorial track.
    Got a few more buildings (one of them inspired by TypeProton's work) modelled plus a solar panel array...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Tutorial track meaning the initial street circuit or a different, beginner circuit?

It's an oval track that can be customized with different obstacles so you can get familiarized with all the features of the ship. Believe me you will want this training because the street circuit is anything but basic.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Cool, I can't wait. I'm glad the street circuit isn't a cakewalk, too. You gotta love a good street race. On a similar note, will there be night and day modes on the street circuit (and maybe the tutorial track, too?)

Tutorial track is day only and the street racin track is night only, since they're campaign related (storywise) and aren't really selectable in the single player mode until you unlock them, there's no actual reason to make them night and day.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Alrighty, cool concept, love Type's architecture! On the subject of tracks, who is mainly doing Alphard, and since it appears fairly close to completion, will you release an updated version of the current demo with the 3 tracks when it is finished? (I love this track too, probably my second favorite only next to Hubian)

Edit: 113th post!!!

zero3growlithe is taking care of Alphard. I'm not sure if it's worth it to release a brand new demo just to update one track... This is where our lack of modability affects us most. We could simply send people the track model to be installed in the current version of the demo, without having to download the whole game, but unity encrypts the source files, so everything is unnaccessible unless you have an option to have the source files untouched when compiling the game. Of course that option is only available in Unity Pro...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

But you're not updating the track, you're releasing it for the first time. It will be a shame if Alphard sits without being played by the public, it is a great track, but if it doesn't make it, then it doesn't make it, oh well, I guess.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    CJ4717

Well, you could add it as DLC or something later on like how SL used to do.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

As long as we use Unity Free, we cannot update anything and a DLC would be useless since you can't integrate stuff into existing builts.

Overall, releasing the final version of SSGX with Unity Free could turn into a nightmare. Imagine we discover some minor issues and bugs, we'd want to clear them out so the game will be "perfect". But for those minor bugs [maybe a 20KB fix], we need to compile the full game again, all different versions and you guys need to download and install the full game again. Imagine there comes another bug fix or a small addition, you have to redo the whole process and that's kinda ridiculous.

This is another reason why we prefer to release SSGX with Unity Pro. Mod-ability is then another piece of cake that comes in

Yeah that sounds like a pain! Just out of curiosity, how far are you from reaching your goal of buying Unity Pro? I might make a little donation soon if I can. :b

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Hey, that would be very appreciated, clojo And btw: Every donater will be mentioned in a special page on the Credits in the future [which will not look like in the current demo].

Currently we collected 91,89€ out of 1425€ which makes 6,45% of goal. Still a long road ahead but every small step taken is a step closer to the dream

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

May I donate my next pocket money(24€)to you

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    CJ4717

I would if I wasn't broke and had a job. I feel bad. Anyway, I'm sure you guys thought about Kickstarter so why haven't you used it? Just curious.