Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Racemodes for SlipStream GX

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Wrong!
    In WipEout Pure Pro Tozo, Mallavol, Coridon 12, Syncopia are tracks only available for zone mode.
    Some of them are also available in Wipeout HD for zone mode only also.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Quote Originally Posted by docfo4r View Post
    About the zone mode... On Wipeout, the Zone mode works because you know the layout of the track. The SSGX zone mode is purely based on reflexes. You won't reach Zone 100 [in our case, it's counted in "segments", so say Segment 100] so easily. Maybe the limit is lower.
    Play this game. Get back to me when you grow tired of it.

What you're proposing is this, but with a random barrier to success - that may fool people into thinking it has depth, but I don't think it will be a legitimate draw. I think you need to change your idea of Zone mode - maybe call it something else as it has very little to do with Zone in WO anyway - and also provide an interesting mechanism that allows people to find a way to prepare a little; and I think you or maybe someone else in this thread can come up with a better idea than changing the colours of the upcoming track between red and green. Also, I think something other than an ever increasing speed would be preferable - perhaps something synchonised with the track or otherwise tempo-driven. Ever-increasing speed just seems unnecessary for what you're trying to do.

The Endurance can of course be a bit boring. Actually we need a racemode like this in the story at one point [unlike Wipeout, SSGX campaign will have a little bit of a story]. We make sure it's not on venom speed But I have to admit I for myself also played 15 lap races online on HD and it is quite fun, because at one point the field becomes messy, with overlaping going on etc. Anyway, you won't find the Endurance too often, so it should be fine
    I was merely providing suggestions to improve it, which is what I thought this thread was about. If it's available from a racebox-like menu, I don't think it would get used very often, and I think games are things people should want to play.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

What if Endurance Mode was 15 laps, with no Absorb, Shield or Pits functions, and particularly vicious AI? You could make it so that just to survive 15 laps is a feat in itself. That wouldn't be boring IMO if it was well executed.

In fact reading that back, it would maybe be a nod towards the sadly lost Zombie Mode from 2048

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

@Colonel: Yeah, the Endurance mode might be changed up compared to Single Race regarding pickups and their functions. In fact there is some sort of unsuspected surprise coming up during the Endurance event on the campaign but we can't unveil anything yet. Let's just say that we need the Endurance mode anyways, and we'll see how we include this mode into the Racebox.

@amp: Obviously there are people who like it and people who don't. I for myself have never been a fan of Time Trials but I understand that this is a race mode which should be available in every racing game. Regarding Zone: Well I can't see how you can compare an AG racing game with a 2D browser mouse click game. Maybe this would be a better comparsion. Of course we wouldn't have this objects on the track but the track itself is what is the challenge.. Well, I wrote about it before...

Anyways, regarding Zone or whatever. Maybe try to think a bit outside of the Wipeout universe. What interesting race modes to other racing games have? Let's try to invent a new idea. If nothing helps, we still can create Zone tracks for the classic Zone mode and that's it. But I believe that we are more creative than that

Quote Originally Posted by amplificated View Post
    I was merely providing suggestions to improve it, which is what I thought this thread was about.
    Hmm no this thread should be about collecting new ideas at first place
    Last edited by docfo4r; 19th December 2012 at 11:47 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

Quote Originally Posted by docfo4r View Post
    Hmm no this thread should be about collecting new ideas at first place
    Isn't that what suggestions are? xD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

I was referring to the "improve" part

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

You could have a mode in which you are constantly losing health and in order to stay alive you have to do certain things to get healthboosts
    like say... take a corner perfectly or run over an energy pad and you are constantly rewarded for playing well by not dying
    and the longer you play the faster your shield drains, or the worse your handling gets and so on and so forth.

- - - Updated - - -

You could have a mode in which you are constantly losing health and in order to stay alive you have to do certain things to get healthboosts
    like say... take a corner perfectly or run over an energy pad and you are constantly rewarded for playing well by not dying
    and the longer you play the faster your shield drains, or the worse your handling gets and so on and so forth.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

That sounds suspiciously like Zone.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

In our team chat we came up with the idea of "Platformer".

The player's ship speed increases by time passing. The difference to Zone: It will be done on a set of special tracks. If you crash into the wall, that part of the wall disappears. So the more crashes, the less barriers the walls have. If you fall off the track, the session is over. We are also thinking if the player should loose health automatically, like 1% each 10th second and can fill up health by perfect laps [10%] or crossing speed pads [3%]. This way we force the using of speed pads a bit more, which can be thrilling by higher speeds.

Now the question we asked ourself is: Do you like this idea? Should we include this idea as a replacement of Zone or should we also use classic Zone races on these tracks? Note that "Zone" and "Platformer" have great equality.

Or do you guys have more ideas for the Platformer mode?

I'm not sure if it would work, but why not have this for a mode:

It would be similar to a speedlap, but after about 6 or so seconds a Quake is detonated. If it catches you, the race ends. The quake is slightly faster than the player, so the player must use all speedpads otherwise its game over. The longer you survive, the more points you get. I imagined the player getting a speedboost each lap, so they can either use it for speed, or sacrifice it for energy if they are doing barrel rolls / recovering from damage.

I am not sure if it could be realised, but its an idea.

By the way, the Platform mode sounds great. Simple concept, but sounds really challenging and fun.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    I don't have one at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Temet View Post
    Wrong!
    In WipEout Pure Pro Tozo, Mallavol, Coridon 12, Syncopia are tracks only available for zone mode.
    Some of them are also available in Wipeout HD for zone mode only also.
    Thanks for reminding me about those.

@docfo4r-I really want to make a comment, but I can't put the words together.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Just give it a go and I will try to encrypt your message then

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    I don't have one at this time.

(Here goes.)

It was a good idea to put this variation of zone mode as a different mode. It's quite different, being little like the standard zone.
    Last edited by AG-SYSTEMS; 21st December 2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Why do I get doubleposts in the same post?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Oh hehe yeah I get you. Yeah well it seems like many people like to have the classic Zone mode available, others like to see some improvement. So yeah, maybe it's best to place both into the game.

Single Race, Speed Lap, Time Trial, Endurance, Tournament, Zone, Platformer, Head To Head

That would make 8 different race modes. Actually a lot already Main stuff from Wipeout in it and Head To Head, Endurance and Platformer would be some extensions Actually I am pretty satisfied with that. And I think too many modes would be confusing at some point. So yeah, I like this list.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    RICHochet

Actually I think zone mode isn't as much of a problem as one may think. I don't think the tracks in WO were necessarily designed with Zone in mind. Zone in WO has your ship is stuck to the track (maglocked) for almost the whole time even when it isn't in the default track configuration. So in other words, if you just follow WO then you should be able to stay on the tracks in ssgx because your ship won't be allowed to leave the track except at certain points (jumps) just like in WO.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Yeah, we are also still discussing this theme. But basically, one thing I can say is that the problem isn't a hill or a jump where you take off the track, but the basic layout. For example: Our tracks seems to be more narrow than the ones in WO and we have some tracks, Nazca Remains and I think Alphard and Hubian aswell, where you are on the limits of turning degree in certain corners on phantom speed. I mean, if the ship would be faster, you simply can't make the turn any more without crashing into the wall or falling off the track. If we would simply make this track available for Zone this way, it would not be fun because you just can't do perfect laps any more after a certain speed and eventually destroy your ship a few laps later, no matter how skilled you are.

But as you might have noticed, in WOHD, the faster the ship travelles, the more agile it becomes, you can make sharper turns. So what we need to do is to change ship physics the faster you go. This is something we need to test out. If it works nice and if we feel that a Zone mode on our normal track is fun and not frustrating, we'll think of including these tracks as Zone tracks aswell.

But for now, we decided to create 5 special tracks designed for Zone and Platformer. We anyway need special tracks for Platformer. The designs won't be like the normal tracks [located on earth, with proper landscape] but more like computer simulated locations which belong to certain areas of the game. For example, we will have "Monochrome" which represents an ambience which you can see in the intro animation on our website, or we have "Electrogrid" which resembles the ambience of the pickup animation videos. Another one is up in the sky and will have a Sol2 - feeling and so on. This way we can not only design a track which is really fun to race in Zone mode, but also we can include visual effects much easier, maybe music equalizers like in WOHD. And when the player beats the campaign mode with every team or something like this, we think about the achievement to unlock these certain tracks for normal races aswell.

So yeah, once we have one of these tracks ready and tested Zone ship physics over there, we will test and decide about it on normal race tracks aswell.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    RICHochet

It's nice to see so much thought is going into this, I do have a question though. Even on custom zone tracks won't you still need to address the issue about not being able to make turns at the faster zones? Of course, in tracks specifically designed for zone this won't be a problem as quickly, but it is inevitable that it will become an issue at some speed threshold. In other words, the agility adjustment as speed increases will be necessary regardless of whether the track is a default track or specifically designed for zone. Regardless of whether or not default tracks are used in zone though I'm sure it will be fun!

For the campaign mode do you have any plans in particular? Campaign in WipEout has always been the most disappointing aspect of the games for me since it's basically a bunch of "challenges". Pretty much all my enjoyment comes from TTs and SLs. The one major improvement for WipEout that I've always wanted to see was some kind of career mode. Something where you could start at the bottom and work your way up to race for a major team. The reveal of the "street racer" has piqued my interest since it seems like this could be hinting at a career mode like this. Is it too early to say?

Anyway, great work on this project. The demo is amazing! Best of luck!
    Last edited by Richochet; 2nd January 2013 at 01:26 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Thanks for your kind words.
    And yeah, you are right. We need to have realtime adjusted ship physics in Zone mode anyways. Without too much of a rush, I am trying to create a basic layout for the Electrogrid Zone track right now to have a testing area set up asap.

We have a basic idea about the campaign mode. I'll just type it down here:
    We have 8 teams. Each team holds it's own grid, a series of events. But before even getting there, the player needs to get a higher status so the teams are interested in signing a contract. He can do so by winning 4 events in a row on Porto Kora. All ships will be the street racer... The Thruster ST-116 which you can see in the recent demo. We also have another big surprise for you what you really wouldn't expect in an AG racer, but we won't unveil that yet
    Anyways, once you beat those events, you can sign a contract with one of the 8 teams. From then on, you will go through all the teams grids in a row, also the grid of your own team. This means, you can't change the ship for the rest of the campaign. Each team grid holds a couple of events. Winning one event unlocks another one and so on. Usually you have the choice between two or up to five events at one time in the certain team grid. Eventually you will get to the final event, the "Head To Head" race. In this event you will race against the prototype ship of the certain team [the team of the current grid]. If you win this event, you will unlock the prototype ship for the racebox and you will have access to the next team grid.
    With progressing through the game, the events on each team grid become more and more, and the challenges will be harder.

So yeah, as you can see, we have a little improvement comparing to WipEout. Still we didn't create one particular big storyline for the campaign mode. But yeah, creating the campaign is one of the last tasks, so there might be some changes still
    Last edited by docfo4r; 2nd January 2013 at 02:15 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Unless the handling is identical between crafts, being locked to a team choice for the entire game is a BAD idea.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

you can actually switch at any point but all the teams have their own individual campaigns and events, so you can't finish the cen-r campaign with the ifreet or vice versa but you'll still be able to play the different teams whenever you like, the campaign is just a series of team specific challenges, much like you had in wo2097/XL