Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Racemodes for SlipStream GX

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Default Racemodes for SlipStream GX

Hey guys. Now since we have our own subforum for SSGX thanks to Hellfire, we want to make the most possible use out of it. There is one pending question in the room for quite a long time: Racemodes!

We actually have a bunch of racemodes which will definately make the cut. These are:
    Single Race
    Tournament
    Time Trial
    Speed Lap
    Endurance A single race with 15 laps
    Head To Head Race against one AI enemy [needed for campaign story]
    Zone Unlike WO, a track will be generated while racing and random cornerings etc. will be added up. Normal race tracks won't get converted into a Zone track.

Actually these are quite a few modes already but we would like to include something fresh aswell. So if you have ideas for fancy race modes, post them here. No rating intended as of now, just collecting ideas. We might create a poll later on. Also keep in mind we could simply add our well known "Eliminator" mode but maybe there are some bright ideas here which we like to collect

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phaeton_pl

I found "License" mode in Gran Turismo very helpful for learning tracks and game physics and i was always thinking about this game mode in WOHD. Those short tests were very challenging and i'm sure they could work out pretty well in WOHD. Imagine a series of short quests like:
    - fly through second corner on Chenghou Project forward on phantom speed without scratching a wall,
    - hit perfect Lap on supersonic speed on Anulpha Pass (flying start just before starting line at supersonic speed),
    - do a double BR on Metropia Reverse before mag strip,
    - beat time of 32:00 on Anulpha Venom without barrel rolls
    - fly some part of the track under xx seconds
    - many more possible, if you know Gran Turismo License game mode you know what i'm talking about

This could be the way to unlock higher speed classes or ships.

I hope you understand what i'm talking about

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Hmm that actually reminds me on the PS3 trophy system to be honest Since we will also have achievements, we already have things like "beat a lap time of" or "don't scratch the wall"

But these things describe only tiny extra tasks, mainly made in single races or time trials. What we're actually looking for is a complete new race mode [doesn't need to be something from the Wipeout universe].

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phaeton_pl

If you are looking for a completely new race mode why not consider "Green Races"? 8 players, BR's on, unlimited energy and only turbos in weapon pads

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Definately a cool idea

Could be called something like "Turbo mode" [of course not xD]

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

I like the concept of calling it a Green Race

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Vegetarian mode xD

Not sure if this would be a mode, but in regular races or time trials, maybe have every 10 seconds of not touching the wall result in a 1% speed increase. Over the course of a 2 minute race, you could increase 12%. This would reward perfect driving, and discourage hitting the walls in areas where is may be beneficial ( I'm thinking HD here). If you hit, maybe should lose either ALL or half of the speed that you have built up. So if you built up 4% in the first 40 seconds then hit a wall, either lose the entire 4 % or half of what you have gained by perfect driving. Maybe an option called " perfect racing" or something like that

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Just a voice of concern; I think Endurance has the potential to be quite dull unless the capacity for tactical assessment is possible (e.g. pit stops, something else, be imaginative). Merely making a single race last for 15 laps is useless: if someone can win in the standard number of laps reliably, what's the point of making them go through 15?
    Also, I know you guys aren't professional devs and this project and the experience it's giving you as coders/etc. is for your own benefit primarily; but for players, Zone in WO works because you know the layout - it requires skill, reflexes, and knowledge. Making it impossible to know the layout means getting far will ultimately depend almost purely on the luck of the random track generator making it easy or not. If you want to stick with your current plan, I wouldn't count on "getting the high score" being its most fun aspect unless you're appealing to the kind of players who really like grinding (that's literally all you'd ever be doing in the mode as you've described it), so I'd look at making sure it's still fun in other ways beyond the basic "it gets faster" theme.

Regardless, have fun with your project

Edit:
    I should add, from the few videos I've seen, the handling of the game looks different to that of any WipEout I've played. Perhaps you can describe what is possible as it stands, what is on the agenda if your gameplay model isn't yet completed, and maybe provide a video to show as an example? As it is I think there could be some confusion - people could expect the same gameplay as X WipEout, we don't know if BR's are possible, etc.. You need to be able to help yourselves by letting us provide suggestions which you can actually work with.
    Last edited by amplificated; 17th December 2012 at 04:25 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

@amplificated : We unfortunately see a BR in the trailer.
    For the gameplay, no problem if it's different from recent WipEouts... I just hope it will be really fast, and if the trailer was in real speed, it looks like it is

EDIT : I like the idea of Jabberjaw!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Yeah, barrel rolls and side shifts work just like in wipeout, same for airbreaks. I only played HD but Xpand described the handling to be a mix of Pure and HD.

About the zone mode: Yeah, we also discussed this thing as it would be way too difficult if you have a normal track [as narrow as the standard, colors, objects remain the same] to be generated. Our Zone mode will work a bit different. It's called "Zone" but it's another challenge. On Wipeout, the Zone mode works because you know the layout of the track. The SSGX zone mode is purely based on reflexes. You won't reach Zone 100 [in our case, it's counted in "segments", so say Segment 100] so easily. Maybe the limit is lower.
    But as a matter of fact: The Zone mode might be divided into levels: The easy part on low speed contains segments which are quite narrow. If you get faster, segments will be generated which are handleable for the speed. Also we either make the colors of the segments differ for each level you are in or color it to indicate corners. A red segment could contain a sharper corner than a green segment. There will be no full landscape around the track, it would actually look like a computer animation, although sometimes billboards or other small objects will be generated here and there. This way you have a much clearer view of what is coming ahead of you. Also, another idea is that she ship speed increases not too fast, and we only have a certain number or segments loaded at a time. One new segment becomes generated infront of you, the one at the other end of the track disappears. So if you are too slow [too many wall collissions] and you are on the last segment when it disappears, you will fall off the track, session over.

The Endurance can of course be a bit boring. Actually we need a racemode like this in the story at one point [unlike Wipeout, SSGX campaign will have a little bit of a story]. We make sure it's not on venom speed But I have to admit I for myself also played 15 lap races online on HD and it is quite fun, because at one point the field becomes messy, with overlaping going on etc. Anyway, you won't find the Endurance too often, so it should be fine

I hope this clears up some question for you guys.
    Now go ahead

Just to voice that how much we try to get the physics like WO's it's always going to be an aproximation, though so far it's a pretty good one.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

Quote Originally Posted by docfo4r View Post
    But as a matter of fact: The Zone mode might be divided into levels: The easy part on low speed contains segments which are quite narrow. If you get faster, segments will be generated which are handleable for the speed. Also we either make the colors of the segments differ for each level you are in or color it to indicate corners. A red segment could contain a sharper corner than a green segment. There will be no full landscape around the track, it would actually look like a computer animation, although sometimes billboards or other small objects will be generated here and there. This way you have a much clearer view of what is coming ahead of you. Also, another idea is that she ship speed increases not too fast, and we only have a certain number or segments loaded at a time. One new segment becomes generated infront of you, the one at the other end of the track disappears. So if you are too slow [too many wall collissions] and you are on the last segment when it disappears, you will fall off the track, session over.
    That would be interesting, I would love to see this!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Yeah me too. But actually we did not program a single bit of a Zone mode yet.
    We are not sure if we should go with the classic Zone mode from Wipeout or maybe create something fresh and new. The downside on the Wipeout Zone mode in SSGX is that our tracks weren't intented to be Zone tracks when creating them, it could be difficult at higher speeds to stay on the road on certain tracks and also, you guys should not expect all those equalizer and visual music effects like we know from HD.

So yeah, what are your ideas and opinions? Classic zone mode? Random generated tracks zone mode? Create special zone tracks? Or maybe overthink the whole "zone" thing and come up with something new...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

i don`t know if you are planning to implement an online/LAN multiplayer feature?

as a game mode i would suggest to copy the "X-CUP" from "F-ZERO X". that is a 6 race tournament with every track randomly created by the game.

do you planning to support other controller devices as gamepads? force feedback racing wheels anyone? i used to play F-ZERO X again recently. this time with an emulator and force feedback wheel support, ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!!
    Last edited by JFthebestJan; 17th December 2012 at 01:05 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Xpand, I'm not able to guess myself if it's possible, hard or not... but would it be possible to have an option like "classic gameplay / modern gameplay"?

Modern gameplay : BR, SS, and airbrakes like "please turn more when I press"
    Classic gameplay : no BR, no SS and airbrakes like "I can move the big ass of my ship and I really need to brake in advance of the turn". Maybe Al, as an XL lover and whose native langage is English could explain better than me, if he likes the idea of course.

It's just ... I've been playing XL with Asa this week end... and going back to modern WipEout really does not feel that good.

I don't think it's too hard to make a "switch" for that. I asked Damian (zero3growlithe) and he told me he could change the drag values of the ship through a script so... I guess that might be possible, but not now...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Of course I know it's not the priority at the moment.
    But still, thanks for considering my request, maybe for a DLC :-D
    Last edited by Temet; 19th December 2012 at 07:02 AM.

DLC? The game is not going to be done in the next week! lol
    When I said not now I meant in this near future. May be added when we get the menus working and start placing all the definitive options.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    I don't have one at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by docfo4r View Post
    So yeah, what are your ideas and opinions? Classic zone mode? Random generated tracks zone mode? Create special zone tracks? Or maybe overthink the whole "zone" thing and come up with something new...
    Classic Zone mode, and Random Zone mode in my opinion. It's a good mix.

(None of the non-zone tracks in the Official Wipeouts were built for Zone Mode anyway.)
    Last edited by AG-SYSTEMS; 19th December 2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Fix for a tiny error.