Thread: The Importance Of A Good Soundtrack?

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

Exclamation The Importance Of A Good Soundtrack?

As you know, in Sports many athletes use certain songs and certain genres to 'psyche' themselves up for a big event. Or just in general because it helps them perform...

Now the thing is, in most games, I wouldn't say a great soundtrack is really necessary but I've found WipEout in Phantom speed to be completely different as it requires either;

a) A solid level of concentration
    or
    b) A big rush of adrenalin.

I've found that my performances whilst listening to a custom made soundtrack put together for the sole purpose of motivating me seems to being out better performances over Race, Time-Trial, Speed Lap but another soundtrack composed of calm soothing songs, ambient even, produce better results in Detonator, Zone and Zone Battle. Each soundtrack also produced less favorable results in it's 'opposite' 3 events.

My question to you is, do you really think that soundtracks can be a performance enhancer and keeping this in mind, do you think that it would be viable to create a 'WZ-Select' soundtrack for others to have a go at to see if it adds to the game for them? Personally, I think it makes a certain difference, I always say to people that ask me when learning to play WipEout the first they should do is get a decent soundtrack that is a bit more prominent than the one on the game.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Defjukie16

My music comes heavily into play when I play WipEout, I have three levels of adrenaline. Concentration is already set in and the music enhances that.

Level Three is old WipEout Soundtracks and music from extrememusic.com
    Level Two is Drum & Bass and Classic Electronica artist like The Prodigy and The Chemical Brothers
    Level One is my favorite, Hardcore music like Thunderdome and H*llraiser.
    Last edited by Defjukie16; 10th December 2012 at 02:19 PM.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

I think music is of huge significance when you're racing. This is why recording with no music is such a headache, my concentration just isn't there. I use all sorts of music, mainly electronica, but sometimes metal or even ambient / classical. If you're trying to get somebody into the game, get them to make their own custom sound track with their favourite music. They'll enjoy it so much more.

With that in mind I think it's such a personal thing, that to create a playlist for somebody else would be difficult, unless you really knew their tastes.

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

Yeah, I understand what you mean about 'taste'...There are people who think Racing games shouldn't have music. I think that's ridiculous!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I understand what you mean about 'taste'...There are people who think Racing games shouldn't have music. I think that's ridiculous!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mikahail

I think a good soundtrack is really important in racing games. The big matter is to choose the right playlist for the right game (or the right speedclass).
    For instance, I launch a playlist of slow-paced song when I'm in Venom or Flash, and high-paced songs in Rapier ad Phantom.
    But, most of all, it's a matter of player's taste and feelings at the very moment.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

Quote Originally Posted by UB3R~JKP View Post
    ...There are people who think Racing games shouldn't have music...
    "There are people who think Racing Simulations shouldn't have music" yes, i am 1 of them. but arcade racers MUST HAVE music IMHO.

onlykpop is offline OMNIUM - Silver Final winner Rapier Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    onlykpop

It's very interesting how music and sounds in general trigger some kind of psychological response. As a musician myself, I happen to know alot on this topic I was just explaining to one of my friends earlier today (i was getting deep lol) how I will NEVER be able to express or share with him how I feel when I am listening to one of my favorite tunes. To physically and emotionally portray what you feel to another person is impossible. Humans haven't evolved to that advanced state yet ;p And lets face it, words don't get the job done either We are limited. So when I am racing I put on a favorite play list. And every time I hear one of the tunes on the playlist I am automatically reminded of wipeout. So i think memory plays a big role in soundtrack selection as well. And when I connect a song to a memory, it helps my performance THAT much more! But there are also those times when I turn my music volume off and only have the sounds of whats happenin on the track. I get to hear my ship breath lol

p.s. whatever ambient sounds resonate with you, might not resonate with another individual. so keep that in mind

PSN ID
    stin_wz

I for one who actually don`t listen my music most of the times due, I just want total focus and if I want music then I will depending how I feel.

stevie

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    fab0810

don't try reggae, even in the morning with a hangover in venom, wo needs adrenaline!

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    bpinflag

I think the best music for Wipeout (in particular for Phantom class) are heavy "Four on the floor" beats from House music, or quick paced vibes from, oh say Neurofunk. My lap times definitely improved with the latter! Just a suggestion to anyone more rookie than myself.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    fab0810

Hi! I try to find old original soundtrack of wipeout: wo2097, w3o, wo fusion...
    Someone should have a link? I would be very happy if someone could help me
    Another question, i have my soundtrack for wohd but i don t know how find the original playlist in the game menu maybe i don't know look good

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

The original playlist as in the Default soundtrack? To get that go to the sound options and press left on the "Playlist" option until it says "DEFAULT". That is the original soundtrack.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

The soundtrack actually plays an important role in this game (and in other ones as well), even more when you're playing Zone mode; my PB in Syncopia wouldn't be the same if I wouldn't had chosen the audio tracks I wanted to be played in that session.

Quote Originally Posted by fab0810 View Post
    Hi! I try to find old original soundtrack of wipeout: wo2097, w3o, wo fusion...
    Someone should have a link? I would be very happy if someone could help me
    Here you are. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Ragsus Maxima; 24th December 2014 at 01:56 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

^That, if you want to buy the albums though, Ebay is probably your best chance, they're not common, but i bought mine there
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B5A3td6CEAAUvHG.jpg:large

However, with it, you should ask the seller to wrap it properly, because 1 of them broke during shipment
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B5A4CHiIQAEMa1M.jpg:large

And music does matter, but i have a playlist that contains all my favorite tracks, so it doesn't really matter that much, i play them through my speaker setup with iTunes as well and have the in-game music muted, easier to manage (skipping, re-play and what not)

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    fab0810

ah thank you all,
    I must think it over sometimes! seeing the pictures of the games, I remembered that you can listen the music of Wip3out and 2097 without playing it, I looked into the boxes and found my old games ... I have transferred the 2097 and w3o playlist on ps3.
    I discovered it's possible to run on 2097 on ps3, but not w3o freezing after 30s of race
    By cons for wo fusion impossible to play and download Playlist
    @ ace3000: I had my own setlist "wo selection", given the amount of music I have on the ps3, I never thought about going to the far left in the menu ... thank you!

...terrible the sound of w3o, what memories

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

i may have said this before but ANYTHING BY MEFJUS is absolutely in my playlist for wipeout