Thread: The Importance Of A Good Soundtrack?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

Exclamation The Importance Of A Good Soundtrack?

As you know, in Sports many athletes use certain songs and certain genres to 'psyche' themselves up for a big event. Or just in general because it helps them perform...

Now the thing is, in most games, I wouldn't say a great soundtrack is really necessary but I've found WipEout in Phantom speed to be completely different as it requires either;

a) A solid level of concentration
    or
    b) A big rush of adrenalin.

I've found that my performances whilst listening to a custom made soundtrack put together for the sole purpose of motivating me seems to being out better performances over Race, Time-Trial, Speed Lap but another soundtrack composed of calm soothing songs, ambient even, produce better results in Detonator, Zone and Zone Battle. Each soundtrack also produced less favorable results in it's 'opposite' 3 events.

My question to you is, do you really think that soundtracks can be a performance enhancer and keeping this in mind, do you think that it would be viable to create a 'WZ-Select' soundtrack for others to have a go at to see if it adds to the game for them? Personally, I think it makes a certain difference, I always say to people that ask me when learning to play WipEout the first they should do is get a decent soundtrack that is a bit more prominent than the one on the game.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Defjukie16

My music comes heavily into play when I play WipEout, I have three levels of adrenaline. Concentration is already set in and the music enhances that.

Level Three is old WipEout Soundtracks and music from extrememusic.com
    Level Two is Drum & Bass and Classic Electronica artist like The Prodigy and The Chemical Brothers
    Level One is my favorite, Hardcore music like Thunderdome and H*llraiser.
    Last edited by Defjukie16; 10th December 2012 at 02:19 PM.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

I think music is of huge significance when you're racing. This is why recording with no music is such a headache, my concentration just isn't there. I use all sorts of music, mainly electronica, but sometimes metal or even ambient / classical. If you're trying to get somebody into the game, get them to make their own custom sound track with their favourite music. They'll enjoy it so much more.

With that in mind I think it's such a personal thing, that to create a playlist for somebody else would be difficult, unless you really knew their tastes.

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

Yeah, I understand what you mean about 'taste'...There are people who think Racing games shouldn't have music. I think that's ridiculous!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I understand what you mean about 'taste'...There are people who think Racing games shouldn't have music. I think that's ridiculous!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mikahail

I think a good soundtrack is really important in racing games. The big matter is to choose the right playlist for the right game (or the right speedclass).
    For instance, I launch a playlist of slow-paced song when I'm in Venom or Flash, and high-paced songs in Rapier ad Phantom.
    But, most of all, it's a matter of player's taste and feelings at the very moment.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

Quote Originally Posted by UB3R~JKP View Post
    ...There are people who think Racing games shouldn't have music...
    "There are people who think Racing Simulations shouldn't have music" yes, i am 1 of them. but arcade racers MUST HAVE music IMHO.

onlykpop is offline OMNIUM - Silver Final winner Rapier Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    onlykpop

It's very interesting how music and sounds in general trigger some kind of psychological response. As a musician myself, I happen to know alot on this topic I was just explaining to one of my friends earlier today (i was getting deep lol) how I will NEVER be able to express or share with him how I feel when I am listening to one of my favorite tunes. To physically and emotionally portray what you feel to another person is impossible. Humans haven't evolved to that advanced state yet ;p And lets face it, words don't get the job done either We are limited. So when I am racing I put on a favorite play list. And every time I hear one of the tunes on the playlist I am automatically reminded of wipeout. So i think memory plays a big role in soundtrack selection as well. And when I connect a song to a memory, it helps my performance THAT much more! But there are also those times when I turn my music volume off and only have the sounds of whats happenin on the track. I get to hear my ship breath lol

p.s. whatever ambient sounds resonate with you, might not resonate with another individual. so keep that in mind