Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Improvement

PSN ID
    scarfrogers

I had never heard of Flashback Jack so thanks for the links! Even now im still finding "new" old pilots who have long since retired. Hopefully one day someone will be looking at mine in a few years (although I think I will be still playing, Sony/servers depending!)

Last edited by Hellfire_WZ; 10th December 2012 at 05:58 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Gekko_P

I'm already watching your SLs and TTs to learn a better racing line, scarfrogers.
    I think a newbie (and this topic is aim to newbies, as its name implies) needs all different kind of videos, not only the incredible performance of top pilots. It has to be a step-by-step learning process with Wipeout, at least for me.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Leungbok, bear in mind that it's been several years since either of them were able to post here. The population of the site has changed dramatically since then, and it's very likely the new generation will not have come across them before. I don't think they've been ignored, just the case that newer members are perhaps not as aware of them as they are of players who are still active.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Yes off course ! But it's also the role of elder members to transmit the history of the game to newcomers !

- - - Updated - - -

Yes off course ! But it's also the role of elder members to transmit the history of the game to newcomers !

PSN ID
    hoooof

There are four things which I think I particularly need to improve. They are:

1 - Sideshifting - I rarely sideshift on corners; just use it to avoid things; I can see from online videos that a lot of speed can be gained by sideshifting properly.
    2 - Racing line - players regularly pull away from me online in the same or similar ships when neither of us hit the side or use turbos etc; my lines can certainly be improved.
    3 - Barrelling - I can only do the easy barrells every time I try; I'm poor at harder ones (e.g. all the Sol 2 ones I can pull off only about 50% of the time); I'm not aware of many others.
    4 - Online tactics - racing online is very different; I have a long way to go to work out the best things to do in certain situations (e.g. I normally finish with 60+ energy).

So lots to work on. Which do you think are the most important of the above? Which one do you think will improve me quickest?

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Sideshifting comes under racing line. Racing line means everything, more so the higher the speed class.
    Don't worry about other people online. Aim to complete the event in as quick a time as you can, and beating the opposition will come naturally as a result, the same as with AI.
    Work on your lines and the rest will follow, including your opponents who will behind you

NB: I advise against watching my videos via the ranking site. All videos were recorded before version 2.51 was released and as such are no longer viable.
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 22nd December 2012 at 01:07 PM.

Have you considered doing a new set of videos with the update? It might be nice for people to know what to shoot for ( and not get to) . Also, are you competing in the wipeout championship?

I considered making new videos when 2.51 was first released, but I no longer find any joy in the game due to the new handling and as such haven't played since about a month afterward (so no, I'm not competing).
    I worked out rough estimates for times achievable at Phantom with this patch (as opposed to the old predictions I made for SaturnReturn's youtube project) during the time when I was doing side-by-side comparisons of pre/post patch.
    The research was more so that I could write about the handling changes in greater detail on the forum, but since day one of the patch I knew I would not be able to play for my own enjoyment any more.
    Almost every aspect of every track now needs to be executed differently in order to achieve the best times, the dynamics of every ship have changed in different ways, some more so than others, and the compounded effect of
    these changes makes the game feel more like a chore, and not fun at all.

/offtopic

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phaeton_pl

Hi guys

I just started to play Wipeout after 18 months and it's with patch 2.51. I'm really, really rusty, my fingers are stiff and i'm tired after 20 lap session. Maybe because of that i don't see any difference in handling at the moment. I had a long break and i forgot how the game physics is. Currently i'm playing Anulpha Speed Lap on Phantom speed. My PB from the past is 20.06, yesterday my best lap was 20.30 and i'm sure i have 0,3 margin there because lap was crappy, not a "perfect lap" and I only hit 11 speed pads.
    The game with patch might be different but i will try to beat my old record with the ame method as used before.

Back on topic.

- I remember that deleting your old ghost was a good thing to improve your time. Sometimes the ghost is hard to chase and you are focusing too much on it. Making a new ghost gives you new feeling of challenge and might help.
    - Watching videos on YT is another thing, pre or post patch doesn't matter in my opinion.
    - Speed laps without Barrel Rolls are also a good thing to practise, it really puts your focus on racing line instead of making crazy rolls. Try to set a new "non BR record" and try to improve it.

Improvement will come with hours of gameplay Trust me on this one

P.S. Yeldar, do you have sub 20 on Anulpha recorded somewhere?
    Last edited by phaeton_pl; 22nd December 2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Grammar issues

PSN ID
    scarfrogers

Great to hear you are back Phaeton! Can't wait to race with you I am on holiday for a week but will be back in the New Year!

Yeldar - how about some online races next year for old times sake? Just for fun, reunite some legends in 2013!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Gekko_P

Good tip about deleting old ghosts, could be very distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by scarfrogers View Post
    Yeldar - how about some online races next year for old times sake? Just for fun, reunite some legends in 2013!
    No, I won't play 2.51, sorry it just makes me sad. I have a pre 2.51 on my PS3 at home if anyone wants to come round and race me there .

Quote Originally Posted by phaeton_pl View Post
    P.S. Yeldar, do you have sub 20 on Anulpha recorded somewhere?
    No, sorry, only 20.04. If I fire up my PS3 I should be able to make one for you. I'm free on 26th so I'll have a try then.
    Some de-rust needed after long time but should be ok. It will be pre 2.51 though as I won't let that version in my house

Also, as for youtube videos on older version. Yes, they are still ok for BR locations, boost techniques etc... but DO NOT follow their lines.
    The lines and sideshift locations are all different now, so you have to be careful with watching old videos where old rules apply.

PSN ID
    hoooof

Thanks Yeldar, that's really helpful. I'll see what I can do with my racing line, starting on Moa Therma Reverse, and see how far I can get.

I agree with you about ghosts Phaeton. I turn ghosts off so that I can focus fully on the track. My game time is 125 hours, which I expect needs to improved a great deal. I have some free time over Christmas so will try to put it to good use by playing Wipeout.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Gekko_P

Another, probably obvious, one: try different ships. Not just at the beginning. Get comfortable with one, beat Elite AI, do your best TTs and SLs and then change ship.
    Take my experience, for instance: I started with Assegai HD, quickly moved over Goteki 45 HD (and then Fury) and got Transcendence with it. Then I moved to AG Systems and Harimau, with some Icaras now and then. Only to discover that on Amphisheum Reverse I'm doing better with Feisar. Usually I go with Goteki 45 HD online, still my favorite, but I think that using different ships is useful not only to improve your racing line but to get the most out of some tracks.
    Maybe elite pilots always go with their usual ship, but that's the beauty of the game: freedom of choice.
    Last edited by GekkoP; 27th December 2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: usual double posting thingy

PSN ID
    Quickbeamtheent

One thing I learned from all my piano practicing through the years is to start slow. If you play (the piano or wipeout) too quickly before you're ready you will develop bad habits that are difficult to break. Learn all the tracks on venom like the back of your hand before you move on to flash. Join or host games on venom class--this way you will get a great exposure to clever weapon strategies you otherwise wouldn't see.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

all i can say is:

play ZONE mode! nothing is better to improof your skills early on in the game. all other modes are just finetuning your skills. in ZONE you'll learn the basics very fast.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I disagree, Jan. I think Zone is a niche experience that does little to improve your game properly. The ship handling is way different, sideshifting is almost always a bad idea when the opposite is normally true, and it's not exactly the most time efficient mode for hunting down and practising BRs. As far as I'm concerned those are all absolute basics. Zone is really only alright for helping you get better at controlling your ship at high speeds necessary for Phantom and the higher Zones.

@ quickbeam: If you start slow with the objective of mastering it before moving on, which is something close to what I did, you will never be able to move on effectively to the faster speed classes Mastering Venom is tougher to do than it may seem.

PSN ID
    scarfrogers

yeah I agree. Zone only helps me improve Phantom. Does nothing for me on Venom and Flash classes where learning location of SS and BRs become essential.

PSN ID
    Quickbeamtheent

Ok, sure. Mastering anything takes years of practice, for sure, and even mastering one hairpin turn on chengdhou project is a process that could take months even on venom class. However, there's a difference between mastering a circuit and simply learning the circuit well enough to "always be thinking one corner ahead," as hellfire mentions in his tutorial on YouTube. I don't think it's realistic to expect yourself to fly like zico on every single circuit before you move to the next speed class, that's for sure

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Just saying. To further elaborate, while you can improve your game by focusing on one aspect of it first, it's probably best to take a balanced approach and to keep things fun by not trying to do too much at once. Just set your own objectives, play MP and SL, Zone, etc., and periodically reevaluate your gameplay. Watch YT vids from the best players, and practise one or two things you notice that could be mundane but you know you could improve on based on the evidence at hand, maybe even moves that seem totally crazy, learn from those techniques, and improvise. As long as you're playing and keep your mind open and inquisitive, you'll improve.