Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Improvement

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Default Improvement

Hi I was just wondering if anyone here could give some lessons or tips...it might sound a bit coco...but tips on...how to become better at this game. There are only one of my friends whom are playing so I dont get much stimulation IRL =) Pm me!

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    keg11

Have a look at Hellfire_WZ's tutorials on YouTube (they're really good!). Type "Hellfire_WZ" in the search bar (to go to his channel) and click on the playlist titled "Wipeout HD Tutorials".

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Welcome to the zone Kasandra In addition to Hellfire's tutorials you can also check out the stickied threads in this section, they are full of tips. Have fun! See you on the tracks. And if you see me online (ID kiTTun) I have no qualms about answering questions, like most here I'm sure.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Thanks alot

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Go for the basics video first, it explains the general mechanics.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Gekko_P

This thread helped me a lot: WipEout HD FAQ
    I'm a WipEout newbie, but still going through all the tutorials and the many videos posted here, I'm constantly improving. I got the Transcendence few days ago, and now I'm losing so many races online trying to learn from the best pilots around what racing really means. Time trials and speed laps are your best friends, anyway. Do lots of them, test yourself online with some races, then back to SLs and TTs. I'm nothing compared to guys over here, but hey, at least I'm better than the first day I got WipEout HD.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Yes as Gekko says, TT and SL are your best friends for racing improvement, well lap times anyway. Online is your friend for learning how to salvage a terrible race, and how to destroy everything in your path

Sign up on www.wipeoutrankings.com. I can't stress enough just how good this site is as a motivational tool, and as a way of gauging your progress.

Also, Youtube. I'll edit this post tonight with a list of some of the best YT channels, you'll learn so much from seeing how the top pilots get round the tracks. Good luck, and enjoy it

PSN ID
    Aeralys

Watching speed laps or time trials on youtube was, for me, the quickest tool for learning how to be faster around the track. Seeing the fastest records will usually answer where the best place is to use a single turbo on any track, plus any obscure barrel rolls you wouldn't normally discover. Quickest, but it won't make you better overall.

Hellfire_WZ's track tutorials I found most useful for learning a great deal about the racing lines on each track, which is probably the most vital part to improving overall time in a race.

Despite knowing the fastest routes, you will still have to play online, to get better online. It's like fighting games, in which you will need to learn and overcome other human opponents playstyles and mix-ups, as well as developing your own.
    Take for example predicting mine/bomb placements. It's best not to slipstream someone closely, even if it is the best racing line, because you know that bomb is gonna pop out and hit you at some point. But also take into account scenarios like when and where the opponent has just turboed and barrel rolled in front of you. Is their energy more lieky to be low at this point? Could they have picked up a weapon during the overtake? When you know the tracks really well, you'll be able to assess your opponents situation that much more. Zone Battle is a good mode for improving reaction time to hazards. There are a few other things you can only learn to deal with online, such as getting smacked by everyone's tankship while cornering the Chenghou Project hairpin.

Also like fighting games, meter/energy management is very important. It may be better to absorb that turbo and survive a hit, becoming 2 seconds behind, rather than to risk escaping with it and getting eliminated, resulting in 5 seconds behind the player instead.

To summerise, in order of importance, to improve:

0. Make sure Pilot Assist is never on. A law will be passed in 2048 making it illegal, and using it can result in up to 25 years on Sebenco Climb.
    1. Watch Hellfire's tutorials - the basics and the tracks.
    2. Practice racing lines - set milestones for youself e.g. 10 perfect laps around a track in Rapier speed, then 10 perfect in Phantom etc.
    3. Watch Speed Laps and Time Trials. As Colonel mentioned, www.wipeoutrankings.com is a useful tool, some players add video links to their records if you're having trouble finding them on the tubes.
    4. Practice those turbos and barrel rolls. Racing lines are more important than them because you may have to adapt to and from the best racing line in order to pull some of these BR's off. Again, use milestones to improve consistency.
    5. Get online! Keep an open mind about the opponent close in front or behind you. Think about thier situation and how to outsmart them, rather than focusing solely on overtaking.
    6. Destroy the Elite AI, pass Zone 75, Beat Zico until he cries, Transcend, never give up.

Ok that was much more in depth than I intended but I hope it helps!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Gekko_P

And about online videos and barrel rolls. Don't be tempted to do some of the trickiest BRs online, try them on SLs and TTs and get a consistent racing line before. Some pilots can make difficult BRs look like easy peasy. I can't count how many races I've lost trying to put off some BRs that I still can't master. It may be an obvious advice, but keep it in mind will help.

PSN ID

As promised here are some of the best Wipeout Youtube channels for learning in my opinion. Feel free to tell my any I've missed...

texasalex
    TH4YA1
    SaturnReturn
    Bazzman32
    WizardPlayHD
    WipeoutZone Official Channel
    Wipeout HD Tribute
    Ragsus_Maxima
    LJTheZombie
    Hellfire (think he might have had a mention in this thread?
    Reach-Big
    What the ...? Was going to link to Yeldar's channel but he's deleted all his videos. Damn, that's a proper loss.

Anyway there are some good channels, I'm sure there are plenty more. Aeralys mentioned the video feature on Wipeoutrankings.com. It really is superb. Simply put all the drop down menus to "All" and the bottom one to "Matrix". The Matrix is an amazing tool, and if you click the [LINK] link on the right hand side, it will show you all the highest ranking videos that have been linked to on the site.

It was always my first port of call before I attempted any SL or TT.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Gekko_P

Great collection of channel, Colonel, thanks. I too was disappointed when I didn't find Yeldar's videos, having heard he's one of the best pilots around.

PSN ID

Maybe the best. His Phantom videos were amazing, it really is a shame they're gone. Anyone who hasn't checked out Reach Big / Feet Fly Back / Billion God's channel should though, he's an immense pilot and the videos are just out of this World - https://www.youtube.com/user/Flyback...ow=grid&view=0
    Last edited by Colonel; 30th November 2012 at 10:06 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Azurooth

Oh that channel was new to me, let the investigation begin!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

well yeldar's vids are now available. you only need the link to his videos.
    http://www.wipeoutrankings.com/index.php?layout=fury that link should help to find the links for yeldars vids.
    good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

well yeldar's vids are now available. you only need the link to his videos.
    http://www.wipeoutrankings.com/index.php?layout=fury that link should help to find the links for yeldars vids.
    good luck!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Gekko_P

thank you!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Thats awesome, and also intresting for more ppl than me =) And if I would like to race anyone from this forum, just whoever is online? Is there a thread for that?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Check out members' profiles to see their PSN ID. I'm not sure but I'd wager anyone still posting here these days is still racing online. If you find one zoner in a room, others are sure to follow. Like a nursery rhyme...
    I forgot to mention, I found that adding members from here as friends, and comparing race times during online racing was a good progress indicator. Regardless of how close you are in skill, I found it easy. Never had the patience/time to work with the awesome wipeoutrankings site, so I just used this method (if it still functions?). After an online race you press square to switch to friends' best times. Or compare times while TTing offline too, whatever works.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    As promised here are some of the best Wipeout Youtube channels for learning in my opinion. Feel free to tell my any I've missed...

texasalex
    TH4YA1
    SaturnReturn
    Bazzman32
    WizardPlayHD
    WipeoutZone Official Channel
    Wipeout HD Tribute
    Ragsus_Maxima
    LJTheZombie
    Hellfire (think he might have had a mention in this thread?
    Reach-Big
    Best youtube channels were the ones from the pioneers, Flashback Jack and Pirahpac, nothing really new since them.

PSN ID

Yeah because in 4 years of HD, 2 people were pioneers and everybody else copied them. Come on Leungbok, you're better than that. Do feel free to link to their channels though.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Their channels are already known here, no need ! Anyway, never any tribute to them, when any one saying he's a fan of wipeout HD should knows the pioneers !
    Flashback Jack has few videos but he inspired Pirahpac and showed the way.
    Pirahpac, even if he wasn't always friendly with members here and retired from wipeout since months, with more than 200 videos of wipeout he did invented all the main techniques on wipeout HD and was hugely copied yes !! But no issue with that, it was done to show his way of playing and off course to inspire other pilots (and famous ones, believe me) to find their own techniques (like i did myself)... but ignoring him totally is some kind of revisionism !!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68udE...wvk9g&index=17
    Last edited by leungbok; 10th December 2012 at 08:34 AM.