Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange...

Default fun for whom?

Lord Acton knew what he was talkin about, dude. word

LOL :

Rest assured, I think even the better pilots here occasionally have a rendez-vous with the walls (and really you don't seem to be doing that bad at all in the tables Lance!). It's only human to make mistakes. Well, except perhaps Al, but I've come to the conclusion a long time ago that he probably is not human.

Peace!
    V.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

I didn't know it was Lord Acton the first to state this. I thought it was just popular belief.
    Anyways, I don't agree with that. From my point of view corruption is already in those who don't have power. However, they are not in position to show it. Power doesn't corrupt you, it only allows you to show how corrupted you already are.
    Someone who from the beginning isn't corrupt won't be affected by an increase of power.

Default Lord Acton

John Emerich Edward Acton: [1834-1902]
    1887-''Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.''

''It is bad to be oppressed by a minority, but it is worse to be oppressed by a majority. For there is a reserve of latent power in the masses which, if it is called into play, the minority can seldom resist. But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.''

''Learn as much by writing as by reading.''

''Liberty is not a means to a higher political end. It is itself the highest political end.''

''The man who prefers his country before any other duty shows the same spirit as the man who surrenders every right to the state. They both deny that right is superior to authority.''

''The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities.''