Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Friendly Wipeouters

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    CJ4717

I think I've encountered one of these sheepies before. When I was playing WHD at my friend's house, some random racer kept sitting on the weapons pads and shooting all sorts of annoying things just to eliminate the others. Even though there may be a small 'friendly' tone to their messages, it's so freaking irritating since you can't do anything about it.

PSN ID
    Knux_Chaotix

Do not like the sheepies... At all. Aside them, everythings all good in my experience ^_^

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this thread was about friendly interaction between community members? Yet nearly half the posts are talking about someone you find irritating There is actually an opposite thread somewhere in this forum talking about people who are annoying, can we keep this one positive?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Gekko_P

hope to find this kind of friendly players as soon as I get online. Still a newbie, be patient.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

I love everybody who races nicely, and even better the ones who exchange pleasantries after many close races. When you're not a top player, it's more difficult to find people close to your skill level(as in, you can't guess skill level by rank like the 101s can, lol), and when it happens it's like finding a blood brother, you know? "Yay, somebody skill-impaired at the same level as I!!!" Even if been exchanging bombs for two hours, any language can understand a message with a "" and a "thank you for the races" in it. Not that I do that often, just for special pilots.
    Gekko, just jump right in, it's amazing what you learn by watching the top players lap you!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Defjukie16

Well skill level does factor in the races but personal ability is truly the key. Elite racers are not invincible, you just need to practice and believe in your abilities and master them. That way, skill level doesn't factor it as much and abilities step in to play. Of course I'm not saying that a pilot on level 1 could easily beat a pilot on level 101 but you never know...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Hmm... I'm pretty sure personal ability is skill. It may also be the ability to learn faster in the circumstance, but regardless, that's still a skill too.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Defjukie16

I'm talking about the level you're on in WipEout HD, the number of your rank. let me rephrase that, "Well your level in rank does factor in the races but personal ability is truly the key."

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

I think it's worth remembering that there are loads of hardcore HD players that don't come on here. And loads that visit as guests, but don't post. As long as you're polite and courteous to people you'll always get on fine.

In fact the other week I had a really funny encounter with somebody in an Elim room. The lad who beat me (can't remember his name) send me a pretty abrasive message, lording it up "You got pwned sucker!!" or something . Over the course of our conversation I ground him into submission by basically being really nice, and refusing to argue.

Eventually he had no choice but reciprocate, and we got on just fine. One nil.

Timezone
    GMT -8

Just started the online yesterday for the first time and while I didn't have any messaged conversations with people, the experience was pretty great. Nobody trashing each other in messages, no rage quitting, some good long sessions... all in all a very enjoyable experience. It was also a pleasant surprise to find I wasn't finishing at the bottom of every race which is what I had expected coming into it. I'm still not a fan of how luck based 'weapons on' matches are which put me near last a few times and other times let me beat clearly superior pilots with 4-5 seconds to spare. It keeps the matches interesting I guess.

The only thing I'd mention is give me a few seconds after you switch tracks (not naming names). At Phantom I lamely can't use Icarus effectively on every track, and it'd be nice if I was given a few seconds to switch ships if I need to. It's odd we're not able to do that in the 15 second count down.

Oh and is the lobby I see international? I only had one chance to select a server region, but that lobby seemed to have people from everywhere.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

the lobbies are international and well the countdown starts on it's on (if you get 15 seconds that's what has happened otherwise it's 5 seconds) after a while, a very short while if you have 8 players in the lobby though I'd suggest picking a ship you can play with on all tracks comfortably, as icaras doesn't really give you much of an edge, ship choice is pretty much all about personal preference, especially on phantom.

try adding some people you feel like racing with from wipeoutzone though and you'll definitely find some good conversations

Timezone
    GMT -8

Ah, so that's what's happening, do the maps cycle randomly too then?

With the physics changes I'll probably end up switching back over to Harimau. I've noticed Icarus lost its definitative pre-patch advantage now that air breaking makes you lose so much more speed. I preferred the psuedo-drifting system in place before... I suppose this makes better handling ships more viable now that I should be primarily using standard turning, but it's still a pain to relearn the sharp corners.

My PSN is temporary and is more of a joke account to learn the new physics before I go for my run. That said, you can add me if you want as it's always nice to play with some familiar faces. ID is To​My​Fallen​Homies.

Edit: ...I can't do this ever again. Anyways Icaras still feels like the way to go.
    Last edited by ​Ω​; 6th November 2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: 60 consecutive races has changed my opinion

PSN ID
    Bollywood_Bandit

Hi fast pilots

I think I've raced most of you before. You're all very nice people. See you on the tracks sometime

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

Regarding the 15 second counter: I'm not sure how many people are aware but it's a real pain for server hosts. It's supposed to start the game automatically if the host idles for a little while, but it doesn't actually check if you are idle. So the host ends up going into the menus to change their ship or the game settings, but after 5 or so seconds the counter starts on it's own, forcefully taking them out of the menus and back to the main screen, where they have to deactivate the counter and try again. This happened to me. :x

PSN ID
    Bollywood_Bandit

A small correction.

The countdown timer won't start if the host changes the game settings. but it will if he wants to change ships. Odd.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Aside from a case which someone sent me a hate mail for defeating him/her several times at Chenghou Project reversed on Phantom, I see the Wipeout community as healthy and mature. It's one of those fan-bases which I'm glad to be part of it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Gekko_P

Finally got my first races online. Don't know if any of you guys were racing with me (PSN id: Gekko_P), but well, you were absolutely right. Gorgeous experience overall, and I have to say beating pilots with 74 and 101 badges makes me proud. Though I didn't chat with anybody so far, hope to catch some of you online soon.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

When the next Ozone event is planned and ready, then you'll have a chance to chat galore.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Next one's Saturday 24th November, and there'll be lots of "Friendly Wipeouters". I'll post details in a couple of days

PSN ID
    Bollywood_Bandit

I'm gonna miss it NOooooooooooooooo

But I'm sure you guys will do a good job of recording / uploading the vids, which are always fun to watch here

My thumbs are twitching already... I shoulda bought the PS3 with me. This sucks.