Thread: Studio Liverpool gone

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by docfo4r View Post
    Lol, what bug vehicles?
    I don't think there's a video on youtube of it, but here's what it was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheat Code Central
    Weird ships
    While the game is loading, hold L1 + R2 + Start + Select. Keep the buttons held until the menu appears. The vehicles will be changed to a bee, snail, pig, flying saucer, and shark.
    http://www.cheatcc.com/psx/codes/woxl.html#.UDkKhdaPXng

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

I'm really disappointed. 2048 is a beautiful game, but feels so unfinished with its complete lack of options for custom races, and when HD was added to 2048 it looked like the game was going to get a lot of support. Now it just feels... unfinished.

And the 12-18 months of work on a potential PS4 Wipeout, thrown away by Sony? I would have been waiting on line to buy a PS4 on launch day if there had been a Wipeout to buy with it!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Might be the same here, Xavier.

Too bad, Sony. Two customers lost for your PS4 already...

@Frailavi lol that's funny^^

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post

And the 12-18 months of work on a potential PS4 Wipeout, thrown away by Sony? I would have been waiting on line to buy a PS4 on launch day if there had been a Wipeout to buy with it!
    They won't throw that work away.
    You can bet your house on Mick Hocking sending that work to Evolution to finish/stuff up, as if this has been his long term goal all along.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    RICHochet

It's too bad. The only reason I have a PSP, PS Vita, and PS3 are due to the WipEout games. Yea, there are other good PS exclusives, but not good enough to warrant the system except for WipEout! I won't be buying a PS4 now =/

I'm also disappointed because this rules out any chance of a complete 2048 (because let's be honest, it's not quite done). The game still needs an online mode where you can pick any event you want like HD so that you don't have to play combat and low speed class races over and over when you just want to play some online A or A+ races... Also I still wanted at least a speed grid for the HD Vita expansion like 2048's if not a full racebox. Oh well.

The Vita was definitely still worth it. 2048 is still great, it just could have been even better =)

I sincerely hope that the WipEout franchise isn't dead for good this time. It would be such a shame. Even if it was never a major hit, it was still successful and a PS staple.

Timezone
    GMT + 12

IT's kinda sad to know that there would be no more wipEout ( Im secretly hoping that a game studio comes along and resurrects the series ) I never had that enjoyment out of a game before.

I hope later in the future when i get my Uni/College/Whatever degree in Computing/Programming I hope to become a game developer and hopefully create a game that has a similar feel and style to wipEout.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

We will alway love you, Psyg/ SL.

Timezone
    GMT + 8

I'm shocked and dismayed. Been a huge Psygnosis fan since Shadow of the Beast.

Do you think we'll see another Wipeout, fellas?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mikahail

Everything can be considered at the time we speak. I don't think Sony can allow itself to throw to bin at least 12 months of work (if that information is true) on a new WipEout game, but the video game industry is on a strange mood so we could have an new WipEout next year as in ten. All the things we can do is to wait and to keep the community alive.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Yeah Mikahail is right.

Keep the community alive, keep playing Wipeout. Let us show to Sony that there is a Wipeout fanbase who would love to see & buy a new Wipeout!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikahail View Post
    I don't think Sony can allow itself to throw to bin at least 12 months of work
    Believe me, games have been trashed after more work than that.

As for keeping the community alive from our own, I couldn't agree more. That's what we do best and we'll stop at nothing to keep it going !

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Well think about this.
    Sony always uses some form of Wipeout as a launch title for any new console, if they scrap 12-18 months worth of work and the studio that is producing it, it could only suggest that any planned PS4 has been shelved for the foreseeable future.

The problem Sony have to address, and is the main problem causing their financial woes, is the ridiculous pricing structure for the content being sold through the PSN.
    Especially the unexplainable price disparity of the same downloadable content in different countries.
    People are fed up with, are refusing to buy it full stop, this is leading to "Brand Resentment" = people feeling all Sony goods are a rip-off, so they are losing sales of their hardware as well.

The price gouging on TV's in certain countries [Australia] is both obvious and undefendable, particular popular models that are exactly the same in different countries are price inflated by more than 85% yet are source from the same place,and have a shorter distance to travel from the factory.
    Plus you have the fact the the Aus $1 is buying roughly US$1.10
    Price from Sony USA.
    HX850
    http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666415272
    HX750
    http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666415284

Price Sony Australia
    HX850
    http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-46hx850
    HX750
    http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-46hx750

It's stuff like this going on worldwide is why Sony is going down the toilet.
    All easily checkable via the internet.

Do they honestly think people are going to repeatably allow themselves to be treated as fools.

The biggest electronic chain store is Australia [JB] has now stopped carrying Sony TV's

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Sony doesn't always use a WipEout to launch a new console, and they certainly don't have to, either. If you think they're going to delay the PS4 because there is no WipEout, I'd recommend checking into an insane asylum. I also have absolutely no idea of what the pricing of TV's has to do with anything.

Timezone
    GMT + 8

Blackwiggle - price gouging Australians (and other small markets) is par for the course, every company does it. We have a tiny market compared to the USA for example, and they'll charge what they can get away with. Sony is by no means the only company that does this.

Amplificated - his suggestion was that the studio was scrapped because the PS4 was delayed, not the other way around.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Studio Liverpool used to make other games than just Wipeout, it's just that in the last few years Sony had Studio Liverpool pretty much ONLY doing Wipeout.
    When the retrenchments came around two years ago, many thought the end of Studio Liverpool was going to come pretty shortly after.
    The other stuff the remaining SL staff were doing was working on refining controls for the MOVE and the first 3D game[s]

It was only when reading the job description in advert that appeared for a new position at SL that people realized that the PSP2, as it was named then, was getting closer to release.
    This turned out as 2048.
    It would seem some other new advancement or console was in the works, otherwise I doubt Sony would of given the go ahead for work to start on a new Wipeout.
    Whatever this was seems to have been abruptly cancelled, so the Wipeout project was cancelled as well.
    Since all SL eggs were in one basket so to speak, that left them without work.
    Hence the closure.

I've yet to see a Sony console that hasn't seen a SL Wipeout used either as a launch title, or to showcase some new feature/ technical advancement.
    PURE-Launch title, one of the first with DLC for the PSP
    PULSE- first PSP with content [ship] customization
    HD- First "downloadable only" game
    HD3D -First PS3 3D title
    2048-Vita Launch title
    That's pretty much all Sony uses Wipeout for.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 27th August 2012 at 06:09 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    GalaticTitan

Hopefully it does come back. When I finish college and become a game director, I would want to bring back WipEout if that ever does get into that position. Maybe I can make it for all systems too >.> except for the PC I mean.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    I've yet to see a Sony console that hasn't seen a SL Wipeout used either as a launch title, or to showcase some new feature/ technical advancement.
    PURE-Launch title, one of the first with DLC for the PSP
    HD- First "downloadable only" game
    HD3D -First PS3 3D title
    2048-Vita Launch title
    That's pretty much all Sony uses Wipeout for.
    Not sure if those example are really relevant. PULSE and ship customization for example ... of course you expect some new features from a new title. And the ship customization wasn't such a thing to brag about (and they didn't).
    As for HD which definitely wasn't the first "PSN Only" (and eventually came as retail disc too) game.
    But having WipEout as a launch title is also some kind of recognition, telling how the series is associated to Sony's image.

Seeing another studio disappears is a sad thing, especially when it is one which brought our loved games to life.
    But that doesn't necessarily means WipEout is over (as far as I read, SL didn't make all wipeout games ... wip3out was made by studio leeds ... so it's still possible to see the license given to another internal studio like Sony has done with the formula one license).
    I also wonder how many people for the PS1 era were still in the studio. I really liked the Pure/Pulse era, but I complained a lot about not improving famous flaws of the series title after title (especially AI, collision), and I felt a need for a drastic change. Still hope it can happen.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ericd7m

It's too bad.
    Thanks for the games you made and for the cummunauty it creates.
    I am quite new with wipeout but really enjoyed the last 3 years playing HD.
    Best wishes to the team's members who are unemployed, i hope you will all work on interessting projects soon.
    Congrats for your work!!

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    Pulse was the first PSP title to make use of PSN and PSN/website integration - we found out in the last week of November that we'd be allowed to do that and the game launched three weeks later!

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Quote Originally Posted by GalacticSpartan View Post
    ...except for the PC I mean.
    Why not the PC? Racing games can be very successful on PC, just make sure to add controller and in an AG Racing game, joystick support.