Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio Liverpool gone

Timezone
    GMT + 1

My sincere condolences for everyone that worked in Studio Liverpool. Wipeout changed my life too, it even brought me real life friends all over the world. This is something very special. I will cherise Wipeout for the rest of my life. I will on keep playing all the games. Thank you SL.

Good luck to everyone with finding a new job. I know you are going to find it, because if you worked for SL than you must be ace in your profession.

Peace out Mad-Ice

PSN ID
    scarfrogers

I'm in a state of panic! Will Sony keep supporting/maintaining the servers for Wipeout do you think? I can't imagine not playing online with everyone...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

I've been thinking since yesterday about the correct words to express my sadness.
    My sadness is limitless.
    Of course, I wish good luck to every dev for getting a new job... this is a rude period and having a job is a blessing... (even if I will never forgive you for the racebox! )
    But when reading the news, I thought to my life... I'm 33 and WipEout has been in my life since WipEout 2097.
    I kept for many years a french magazine with the review of the first Wipeout... I can still see the picture of the ship flying in the Altima jump.
    I remember for christmas, I went to buy a PS1 and I searched for Wipeout in the store. I couldn't find it but there was a new game : Wipeout 2097. I didn't know what to think you know... there was no internet at that time.
    When I came back to home, I phoned my neighbour and my best friend : "Hey guys, I have a playstation, come and try it!". We never saw a playstation at that time... Sony was a newcomer, I had a SNES like my friends.
    First game inserted was Wipeout 2097, we started a race and we saw the travelling toward the ship, and the camera moving around it ... we were astonished !
    I had to stop playing for my studies (some kind of crazy mathematics school ^^) and eventually gave up on video gaming.
    One day, I heard about WipeoutHD ... I highly recommended to a colleague to buy it and invite me!
    Well well well ... I was caught again... I bought a PSP to play Pure and Pulse, later I bought a PS3 to play HD/Fury ... and finally I bought a PSVita to play 2048.

I met some really nice people and I intend to keep in touch with them!

I was discussing with G-Superpilot yesterday, and I told him that I felt abandonned ... he told me that was a good description for his feeling too.

I don't know if it worth telling it, but if some dev reads this and would like to join the European convention in October... I'm sure we would all be happy to see you.

Regards,

Temet
    Last edited by Temet; 23rd August 2012 at 07:52 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Azurooth

Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool has given me thousands of hours of joy. My first game on the PS1 was 2097, shortly followed by Wip3out:SE. My gf bought me Fusion on my 18th birthday and my brother bought me HD/Fury disc version as a christmas present. Great memories, met a lot of new friends. I have been walking around for several months thinking about if a new wipeout game would be released for the ps4 and how awesome it would be. I hope SL find new jobs real soon. I also hope the WipEout franchise will return. This has really brought my mood to a low point. Thanks for everything Liverpool.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by scarfrogers View Post
    I'm in a state of panic! Will Sony keep supporting/maintaining the servers for Wipeout do you think? I can't imagine not playing online with everyone...

The servers are maintained in London, they were never hosted at Studio Liverpool. There will be a minimum service level agreement for the online portion of the game - you're probably guaranteed service for 12-18 months and after that it'll be based on demand. I sold my copy so I don't know if that's in the booklet or not, but a game would have to be a total and utter flop for them to pull the online service in less than a year.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

The HD servers are now the same as the 2048 servers, aren't they? So I'm guessing as long as you can play 2048, you can also play HD?

There was about a minute of blind panic in the Avalon Lounge last night when all of a sudden nobody could enter a lobby. Scared the crap out of me, I'll be honest.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

A very sad day indeed.

I feel for all the SL staff that have lost their jobs, a very talented group of people.

Sony, you have lost the plot.
    You should of kept SL alive and fired the sycophantic bean counter Mike Hoking, he's the one who has been directing SL so well it now finds itself shut down.

I don't know what the sales of VITA's have been like, but the writing was on the wall for SL when games like Uncharted were licensed out to other developers to make the VITA versions.
    I expect any future Wipeout will suffer the same fate.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    IwannaTinkle

Hey guys, long time no see!

Sad news for everyone.

I really don't know what to say other than I've had it with Sony, I've stuck with them during these years, through asinine decisions, poor uninteresting software lineup, besides a couple of franchises that don't resonate with me (Resistance (really?), Gran Turismo, God of War, Uncharted... I say meh...) usually copy-cat franchises, bad support or lack of it, overpriced hardware, badly-designed proprietary hardware and software, heartless corporate approach to gaming and its consumers, etc.

Not only have I stopped enjoying Sony's hardware since the PS2 days, but I've had this feeling since I got the PS3 that I was just mindlessly supporting them.

They completely lost touch with their fanbase and consumers, they neglected and took advantage of us in many ways, and not only in the videogames divison.
    My Sony camera broke, to no support from them, camcorder was lame and broke right after its year warranty, technology wise I don't feel Sony is ahead of anybody as in the PS2 days, it's always behind the Xbox or copying their's and Nintendo's approach to things.

I'm literally tired of this, and as a customer I won't support this kind of policies anymore, I'm selling my Vita and PS3 and never looking back, I'm all in PC gaming now, and my S3 keeps me entertained on the go. There's nothing else you can offer me Sony, too bad it took so many bad decisions for me to notice.

SL, I'm sure you will find a way, you guys are more than capable and will find a new challenge somewhere else.

Hope you don't have to face more of this nonsensical corporate behavior in the future.
    Sony, for me, is no more.

Thanks for the good times SL and WZ, let's be friends in speed!!!

PSN ID
    MENGKESHI

Well, this sucks...

Of course, the main thing I want to say is to wish the SL team all the best for the future and hope that they get good opportunities to use their talents in other positions in the future.

The big tragedy for me is how badly promoted the Wipeout series has been. I don't have insider or deep industry knowledge but it does seem like all marketing and promotion was directed to other games eg GT5 (I like it but it doesn't touch HD/FURY). I didn't even know about HD until I happened upon the DL-only version on the PSN store and gaming is a more-than-casual hobby for me!

I suppose this may partly explain why they focused on the single player for 2048 if anyone knew this was coming - not much point in having a racebox if servers aren't going to be running for too much longer...

Thanks Psygnosis/SL for all the games and good times - they have rocked!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    I don't have one at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by MENGKESHI View Post
    The big tragedy for me is how badly promoted the Wipeout series has been. I don't have insider or deep industry knowledge but it does seem like all marketing and promotion was directed to other games eg GT5 (I like it but it doesn't touch HD/FURY). I didn't even know about HD until I happened upon the DL-only version on the PSN store and gaming is a more-than-casual hobby for me!
    I have to agree with you there. I never heard of it until the welcome back program. And I usually find stuff like this. I've found quite a few games that few people have heard of.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    handmade_lion

Quote Originally Posted by DreamyElf View Post
    Let's hope one day we'll see another WO fellow pilots.
    Something tells me we will, at least in some incarnation.

PSN ID
    Sphereshift

I cannot believe it. Actaully, I really feel bad about my negative feelings towards 2048 (though for a good reason as the most of you will surely comprehend). But now, all this just doesn´t matter anymore. Of course, I don´t want to be a dramaqueen, but it´s really as if a tiny tiny part of my childhood is gone now. It sucks so much ass. This is a bad year for me as a gamer (Mass Effect 3 and now this, my two favourite games). And of course, it´s even worse for the SL team. I hope, they will find a new, great job soon. Thanx for everything!

Timezone
    GMT + 8

Quote Originally Posted by Autechom View Post
    Actaully, I really feel bad about my negative feelings towards 2048
    re. bolded section: I kinda know what you mean. I was very critical of the game's multiplayer mode, perhaps more than I should have been... the fact is it's still a damn good racer. When you're nailing A+ speed laps on sol or altima it feels as good as the series has ever felt. despite its flaws it was still a damn good game and a beautiful swansong for SL. I bought my vita for 2048 (suck on that, sony corporate), and i don't regret it at all.
    Last edited by Colonel; 23rd August 2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Why quote the whole post?

I'm sure we all bought our Vitas for Wipeout. We sure as hell didn't buy em for Ridge Racer or Modnation Racers

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Haha.

And I bought my PS3 for WOHD. Actually, I had the game before the PS3 xD

PSN ID
    gordo31874

Not been round for a while, but when I saw the news, I had to come and post my condolences. Thanks to all at SL for so many hours and SUCH a good franchise.
    The feeling of grace on a perfect lap as you took furymau round Sol2, thinking, no, being a corner ahead, the feeling of being totally locked in...nothing like it on any other game I've played.
    I suppose what killed it is you need more than 5 minutes to master it and can't download it onto a iPhone.

Best memory: Gare D'Europe, with "Body in Motion" playing in a Quirex, 2097. Nailing the sharp right hander in the dark tunnel, third corner, and flying through the right left right complex, wall scraping all the way. Beautiful.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel__Gaddafi View Post
    On a positive note, Hellfire made Forbes magazine! You're famous Charlie! http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielny...and-psygnosis/
    Haha, nice to see that video being used for the right reasons It seems all the more significant now...

Farewell to the legend and those who attempted to keep my favourite game going. Thanks to Nic and Jim, the creators of WipEout, the artists, in house and otherwise for the great looks, and to CoLDSToRAGE, Tim, for the music. It can never be the same again. I will remember the way it was until I'm dead.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

After some time digesting this, I must admit I have mixed feelings on this matter... on the one hand I feel as if maybe it was inevitable after almost 3 decades of psygnosis original products and 15 + years of wipeout that the psygnosis legacy would end but at the same time, I feel angry because since wipeout fusion, the wipeout titles have been getting progressively stronger again after the poor showing of fusion...(I know not everyone will agree that they were getting more fun, but they have been getting technically and visually better if you ask me, but certainly stronger with audiences) and that makes me angry that they would just drop such an iconic series and group of game designers.

I dunno I'm sad at the way the gaming industry is progressing at the moment, and that wipeout and SL have to be victims of this, but at the same time I'm very happy we got wipeout at all and I'm neutrally accepting of the fact that all good things seem to come to an end.

PSN ID
    Whizawk

RIP Studio Liverpool!

It was a very sad day for me when they announced this as I was a big fan of Psygnosis titles back in the day on PS1, most notably Wipeout.
    It was the reason I bought a PS1 and stuck with Sony PlayStation back then; the game that got me hooked on gaming (2097 specifically).

Thanks for the games!

Loyal Auricom fan

*waves fist at Qirex & AG_SYS*