Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio Liverpool gone

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Yeah sorry for the inaccurate statement. For me the only games that matter are WipEout games. Sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Can't make money with classy games, have to sell one million copies of FPS and MMORPG on release day to a world full of lemmings that are brainwashed by the F**** MEDIA
    Isn't it ironic that Psygnosis which developed the Lemmings game couldn't handle how to sell games to lemming consumers ?

Unfortunately the gaming industry is more or less following the steps of its media ancestors like the cinema. But just like cinema there will always be some outstanding titles that don't get attention only because the commercials wash everyone's brain. You just have to learn how to sort them out of the mass of riskless yet tasteless AAA titles that we are going to see more often every year.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Zix-Xer

I remember when I was like 7 years old my dad put me infront of the tv with a blindfold and let me hear the intro of wipeout. I had no clue what it was, tought that it was some sort of action movie. I was wrong, it was WIPEOUT! ooo ooo oo I did suck at the start of wipeout, did not wanted to learn to fly with airbrakes XD. at the just before the 2e wipeout came by i started to get good at it. With wipeout 2097 I Learned to airbrake and ooh I became good with that game. (I easly lapped my mates, not noob friendly game ) then wipe3out came and i almost completed the entire singel player!! that is: venom, vector, rapier difucultie modes with all ships on every track! had like half of the first places on phantom mode. Loved the secred uber-start that you could do with a ship in wipe3out. normal start was hold the button. super start: put the trottle on the correct spot. and uber-start: hold the trolle on the right spot and hold the hp absorber for more speed and at the point of launch release the hp coverter for speed so that you loose 1hp but get a start that was almost two times faster then the super-start. then i skipped the ps2 and psp versions. played the psp version a few times. Then I bought my ps3 specaly for wipeout HD!! played it alot and even came at the top of the zone record of v-K got beaten by a few now..... but still 84 zones is not bad. played the singelplayer two times one to get the skins. and a second to beat all ai on elite. I wanted a platina on WIPEOUT AND I GOT IT!! to bad it will be mij last :'( Well i still play zone mode sometimes infront of my big 50" tv and sit like 1 meter infront of it, cokpit view and feel the game all the way!!!!!! To be continued... I realy hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sony you have to come with alot of good titles to make me want to buy a ps4! because wipeout hd is still the only reason why I would buy a ps3 if i see all the games out there today!

sl staff, thanks for all the hard work!

ps can you sent me the copy of the new wipeout version. so that i can finish it and play it!

Cant we do a kickstarter project to get the team back to work on the game I would glady pay alot to see that happen

PPS I'm sorry to all the people that cant read well enough to read my bad writing.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

I have to agree with Medusa and vincoof on the comment above (#84)... the sheeple/ lemmings are getting robbed blind with these AAA titles.
    It makes me laugh. but be careful talking about the mass media brainwashing people... you will get called an extremist buy the lemmings
    Wipeout is a propa game, i just hope sony don't give up on Wipeout completely if they do then Sony, microsoft will be saying "Contender Eliminated"

RIP Psygnosis. A salute to you and your amazing team. Thanks for the wonderful memories, and for inspiring me to join the industry. Good luck.

My best wishes to all the fans of the game, and this community.
    Last edited by DieselEmpire; 4th October 2016 at 12:21 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Pez55

Haven't been here in a while, but I had to log in when I heard this news.

This is a real shame. One of Sony's best studios, gone like that. It's safe to say that I've lost some respect for Sony today. Hopefully everyone who worked at SL got moved somewhere else and aren't out of work now.

It's been great, but all good things must end at some point I suppose.

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

I havent been on here in such a long time, almost criminal.
    Had to come back when I read the IGN news this morning, SL closed..... Heartbroken.
    Echoing my Facebook ramblings, my thoughts are with those at SL, especially :infoxicated, buddy we need to catch up cos this news sucks worse than hearing that a relative has passed away. You have all put your heart and souls into this and you should leave with your collective heads held high knowing that your work has not been in vain and will never be forgotten.
    Truly a sad day and a seemingly heartless move considering that WipEout kinda made the PlayStation the icon of home entertainment.
    To everyone involved, past and present, thankyou.

Was gone to running camp for 5 days with no Internet, come back and now SL is gone! This is awful news, first, we will not see another wipeout game from them. I mean someone else developing wipeout! How about some drafting, CPU assist weapons, and a touch speed for the person in behind. Also, how about tracks so wide you never hit. How about some unidentified bugs that break the game ( full track jumping, snaking, ect). How about no pitch control and glued to the track racing. NOPE! I don't want someone else without wipeout knowledge making another game. Whoever gets to make one, one name only comes to mind, " NICK BURCOMBE". Thank you Nick for this awesome series, and if it ever gets another chance, please! Oh please apply for the position. The new Wipeout game was. " radically different for the ps4 ". This scares me for sure. My guess is this game will be moved somewhere and finished. I doubt they would waste a game that far along, but I wouldnt have hope that it stays like wipeout.

Secondly, I am extremely disappointed as to what it means for 2048.

1) the made a great playing game

2) people complained about racebox,Adhoc, custom controls, and a TT grid. These were not going to be added, so after a significant amount of time of this, it seemed that they were finally working on these issues, I was getting pretty excited about racing people at A + speed on the track we chose.

3) studio shut down, now we will never be able to really play eachother, incredibly dissapointing. The A + challenges are a complete first lap luck fest getting hammered all over the place, but there are no proper A+ time trials to play.

4) Sony is mostly at fault here for sure. You let the team work on a ps4 game for 18 months, then take it away. You give the 2048 the go ahead on new content, then stop them as they are going to release new content for the game probably within a few months.

5) SL should have left the basic wipeout Stuff in the game in the first place. This removal of These features are responsible for the wipeout community not enjoying 2048 for years to come against eachother. While it seems like it was going to be fixed, now it never will be

6) well, it looks like I have time to catch up on all the old games now
    Last edited by JABBERJAW; 23rd August 2012 at 12:12 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Why all of the best has to come to an end? I've never thought Sony could make such a decision to a hardened veteran studio like Studio Liverpool. I'm also feeling bad for all of the people of SL, who were on the lead of the creativity until this day.

All of us are very thankful for all of the effort you guys put in all of your projects and games you did. And also, we hope you guys find another chance to keep fulfilling any new projects you have.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

On a positive note, Hellfire made Forbes magazine! You're famous Charlie! http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielny...and-psygnosis/

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    cam-let

thanks for the news colonel and hellfire and also to sl for making the wipeout games
    Last edited by camlet; 22nd August 2012 at 11:56 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Long time since i didnt post on this forum, but i just saw the news, the only reason i bought a PSVita was because of this game, my most played game on PS3 and PSP are also WipEout game. I loved what they did with WipEout 2048, the "autolog" was really nice, the gameplay was really good, i know it has problems but i love it nonetheless. This is the problem with gaming industries this day, content is costly to make and it is hard to make a "niche" game like WipEout is on a handled that no one have. I would have loved to see the WipEout game on the PS4. Shame on you Sony for closing a studio after one financial failure

Good luck and farewell Studio Liverpool
    Last edited by lanceurdehache; 22nd August 2012 at 11:53 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Wow. I don't quite know what to say. So much seems to have happened so quickly. My condolences to everyone at Studio Liverpool for the recent bad news.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rossriders_86

Like I've said elsewhere, I'm rather new to the Wipeout games in spite of being familiar of their existence since playing the 2097/XL demo on the PC all those years ago.

Wipeout has always been a game series I wanted to get into, but due to cash, time and other reasons then or now, kept me from really playing any of the games. I figured though even if it will still...even now be some time until I can play any of them, I still have had and will when possible, make fan-art for the series.

What caught my attention was in a way, how Wipeout reminds me a lot of racing and the spirit of competition in general, thanks to the video by HellfireWZ and contributions to the wipeout Wiki, even fan stuff (in spite of not quite being cannon), for me it's rare to find a racing series with some attempt at a story, even if the majority of it could only be found via websites, manuals and as of late, the Wiki.

I was trying to put my own two cents on the art style of Wipeout as of late...it will be a little longer until I can post it, for now I'll just say that I've found so far the art styles to every game very interesting, to some degree each game is very distinct, yet also carries a strange air of stuff remaining constant in spite of how different such games are like Fusion to Pulse or 2048 to Wip3out/Wipeout 3, and so forth.

...It sucks that the Studio is closed...it's not the first and woun't be the last time a studio is shut down (while I seldom had a chance to play them, I did find Bizzare Creations' titles to be interesting including Project Gotham and Blur...lets just say their closing was one more reason why I have a strong distaste for Activision and the majority of publishers, Valve being an exception to some degree...but I'll rant about that another time)...

I want to be angry but i wonder how much good it will actually do. I wonder how long the servers will remain online if at...if I ever get a chance to play HD/Fury (I've already given up trying to get a Vita for 2048 for the time being, priorities and all that)...and the fact cold as this may sound, I've got other pressing things to be concerned about...significant as this ...event is.

Yet in spite of that, they say people, things, events and so forth are only dead for real once they are forgotten. While part of me is Mad for at this...part of me somehow...feels like to give up hope would be to given in for real...

Although just what...I don't really know...for now it seems like falling into dispair would not be helpful. I'm thankful Studio Liverpool was able to give to many joy, fun and a lot of positive things...

I only hope all at the studio are able to find new jobs...and I hope in the future...we could have a wipeout game...and hopefully one that woun't betray the series as a whole...although my experience with viewing series given to other developers whom are not the original have had mixed results...I suppose we will see what happens.

For now...
    I'll continue to do fan art when I can...and well...that'll be my way of keeping the series alive.

...my two cents for now,
    Until later.
    Last edited by Rossriders; 23rd August 2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

I haven't messaged the site for years, but I had to post as my love for all things WipEout has endured for years.

It is the end of an era in my gaming life.

I am sure that WipEout will make it to PS4. Sony might have been stupid enough to close our cherished studio, but if development has taken place for so long the new iteration has to continue. They have already said that they are trying to find staff members jobs at other studios, hopefully many will be moved to one which is taking over the franchise.

I was hopeful like many for a return to the glory days with an updated G-Police, Colony Wars or even Roll Cage, but alas it was not to be.

So thank you Studio Liverpool for that first climb and jump on Altima, thank you for adding a soundtrack to my gaming life with 2097 and thank you for the awesomeness of Manor Top and P-Mar.

Studio Liverpool and Psygnosis is dead. Long live WipEout!

c

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    rejj

Like several others, this news brought me out of the woodwork.
    I'm sad to see this news, but (and perhaps this will be unpopular) I'm not altogether surprised. Never good to read about studios getting shut down, and I honestly hope all those affected by this land on their feet and find work elsewhere.

For a combination of reasons, Wipeout was no longer a blockbuster name. We all love(d) it, sure - but Vita's didn't exactly fly off the shelves because of 2048, for example.

Personally, the last entry in the series I truly enjoyed was W3SE. The recent iterations had some interesting things in them for sure - I think Zone Mode is brilliant, but overall they just didn't grab me the same way.

This game did get me psyched again, I really liked the gameplay and was waiting for multiplayer, then it was gone for good. Damn you Sony for forcing them to waste time putting on WOHD onto the vita. We could have had those things we wanted without this crap, and Sony probably knew all along what they were going to do. No real reason to complain, The people that shut SL down will never look at that Facebook page, or here for that matter. They do whatever they want. No ps4 for me. Maybe Nintendo can put out an fzero game where riding walls doesn't make you go way faster, or wiggling your ship does the same, or without jumping the entire track ( one can dream).

Maybe 5 years from now someone can hack the track and speed selection process in Adhoc. All you would need then are 10 vitas ( one for each track). Maybe even 5 since its a vote, but both would need to be a race selection.

Time to stop dreaming

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    IndoorSnowStorm

So sad. Words can't really describe how I feel.

In other news, get ready for Uncharted 12 in the coming years

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    Solid_Snake_NZ

I'm puzzled as to why, aren't they churning out better profits than many in business companies, even sony ones? They had a new game out only this year for christs sake.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

Basically, what I've learned about this whole experience (and I had a fair idea beforehand), is that sony are massive arseholes and they don't know how to run a business. More exciting projects? Like what, exactly? As I said to xpand when I heard about it: "let's just buy a company, piggyback on their game's reputation and class to market our product, take their game and **** with it so it doesn't work right, and then shut them down anyway."
    And what really makes me mad about this is that I absolutely cannot believe they would have the gall to make SL work on a new game for eighteen months and then cancel it. And that is in the post, they have cancelled whatever it was they were working on (probably the next wipeout).
    Two fingers to the lot of them. I still have some fantastic Psygnosis games on PS1, such as some F1 games, Colony Wars and CW: Vengeance, and G-police. SL were amazing.
    I hear that Sony are having financial troubles. Why they dealt with this by axeing one of the most popular and fantastic games series, one of the hardest-working teams, and one of the oldest gaming business of all time is absolutely beyond belief. HD still brings in new players two years after release, for christ's sake. I sincerely hope that these troubles cause severe damage to Sony. It's what they deserve.

[/emotionmotivatedrant]
    Last edited by dreadofmondays; 23rd August 2012 at 06:45 AM.